Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Stock is the problem. I don't feel bad for stock holders. Stock is the reason the companys will do what ever it takes to make up a loss. The customer always loses and the rich get richer.

I don't know if a 30% increase is fair, and neither do you!

If the customer pays .10 well 30% sounds kindof small to me! Just because 30% sounds big doesn't mean it is!

BS, do you get 30% raises every other year at work? I don't and I can only imagine what my boss would say for even asking!
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Its a bit more complicated then that.... just like with Sirius/XM, they were different services with different radios. I have a XM radio and can't get all the Sirius channels, just like Sirius radios can't get all the XM channels. Just recently they started selling radios that can receive everything.

A Dish/DirecTV merger does NOT mean that all over sudden all DirecTV subscribers would get all them basic HD channels, nor do all Dish subscribers now have the option to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

There is actually a good chance that a new "DirectDish" company would have to build a completely new receiver, that is capable of receiving signals from both Echostar and DirecTV satellites, and with the release of said receiver they would have to issue a new dish with a LNB that can talk to them all. You would still have MANY, MANY, years of legacy to overcome, and it could be 10+ years before a merged company really is able to offer ALL services to ALL customers.

Chances are high that if such a merger would occur, Dish and DirecTV products would remain a separate product for quite some time to come.

I don't think they really push that radio anymore. They did for awhile but now you have to search for it to find it. The brass at Sirius lied to the FCC. They told them they were going to maintain the services as is for I think they gave a year number. As soon as they thought the FCC wouldn't care they started merging all the channels into one for each service. I think they actually overestimated the time when the FCC would do nothing since I think the wouldn't have done anything 30 seconds after walking out the door with approval.

I had Dish at the time they purchased Directv and the FCC was looking into it. I watched a Charlie Chat and someone asked about NFL Sunday Ticket and would it be on, what would the name of the company be, etc. Charlie said the name of the merged company would probably be Directv since it was more recognizable. About Sunday Ticket he said they'd look into it and then he started hem hawing around about the future if it, IF the NFL would even continue offering it, costs, etc. That's why I said I think it would have been exclusive to In Demand by now because he wouldn't have paid it, would cry about wanting fair rates, have his webmaster make 12 websites about it, all the while charging the same thing everyone else does for his basic programming services.

#343 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Since John Stewart and Stephen Colbert in hiatus this week, I will not get too excited. But, with that programming available on the Internet I will find the shows somehow.
Don't tell D* and other carriers, but with TVs now capable of direct internet connections, the carriers will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.

Perhaps you can explain how they will get the millions of dollars per month they get now. They're not going to give it up as this entire thread is about money. People have been saying that IPTV is the future and perhaps one day it could be. However delivery method will not change the business methods behind it.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#344 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Stock is the problem. I don't feel bad for stock holders. Stock is the reason the companys will do what ever it takes to make up a loss. The customer always loses and the rich get richer.

I don't know if a 30% increase is fair, and neither do you!

If the customer pays .10 well 30% sounds kindof small to me! Just because 30% sounds big doesn't mean it is!

Then from all of us who have mutual funds in our 401k's based largely on stocks you don't care about, we appreciate you hoping ours sink and we have nothing when retirement comes. The more you talk the more you just sound jealous of anyone with $1 more than you.

#345 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

BS, do you get 30% raises every other year at work? I don't and I can only imagine what my boss would say for even asking!

Even Viacoms BS about that deal is 7 years old holds no water. Have you gotten a 30% increase in salary in 7 years? I sure know I haven't.

There's an easy way to solve the whole a la carte issue when people say the costs would be high. The FCC makes every network owner negotiate each and every channel separately. Then they get paid based on number of subs to that channel. If ESPN wants to negotiate a fee to charge $10 for their channel they'll get 1/18th of subs they had before and put themselves out of business. Regardless of a la carte or not, I think every channel should be mandated to be negotiated separately. It would prevent stuff like this mass pulling of channels and would remove the leverage of holding one channel over the head of providers if they don't renegotiate them all. As I said earlier, these media conglomerates never should have been allowed to own as much as they do. But it's kind of hard to undo that now.

Edited by zimm7778, 10 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#346 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Then from all of us who have mutual funds in our 401k's based largely on stocks you don't care about, we appreciate you hoping ours sink and we have nothing when retirement comes. The more you talk the more you just sound jealous of anyone with $1 more than you.

our 401 k wouldn't be invested in Directv or Viacom, so your point is ZERO!

These are luxury Stocks. Your 401 would be invested in companys that are needed, and one that don't matter if they are here or not!

#347 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Our Gas , Taxes and many other Item have increased 30% or more in some cases. Not uncommon, and stop using 30 % just to make it sound big 30% hold no value as a term when you and I don't even know what its 30% of! Or how many years it involves!

#348 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

These are luxury Stocks. Your 401 would be invested in companys that are needed, and one that don't matter if they are here or not!

No, you have no idea what you are talking about. I've had mutual funds where media corporations were in them before so perhaps you should do your research. Plus, you stated you don't care about stockholders. Not about Viacom vs Directv but since you go there then your statement about stockholders means zip and I guess you are typing to see yourself type.

In re-reading yeah you really need to research different types of mutual funds obviously because apparently you haven't a clue.

#349 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

No, you have no idea what you are talking about. I've had mutual funds where media corporations were in them before so perhaps you should do your research. Plus, you stated you don't care about stockholders. Not about Viacom vs Directv but since you go there then your statement about stockholders means zip and I guess you are typing to see yourself type.

In re-reading yeah you really need to research different types of mutual funds obviously because apparently you haven't a clue.

A mutual fund is not a 401 K

#350 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'm thinking you should do more research into this before you just start posting things about it. I think you'd be more hard pressed to find a funds manager who don't invest in these companies.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#351 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

A mutual fund is not a 401 K

Do you look at what you type? Mutual funds are apart of most everyone's 401K.

#352 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Do you look at what you type? Mutual funds are apart of most everyone's 401K.

I don't care what Type or anything about your Directv investments. Point is these company will flatout refuse to take a loss of anykind. So here we are today because of it.

Thats why we get increased prices every year. So your going to sit there and tell me Directv and Viacom don't have Wiggle room with a 2 billion dollar profit from Viacom a year and Directv hundreds if not Billion of Profit a year!

Yea OK !:lol: When they think they may not profit they both raise rates.

So who's fault is that! The investers!

Invester Pressure on a company to Profit at the customers expence!

#353 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

After reading many 'classy' twitter posts, I'm beginning to think the loss of MTV type channels might be in the best interest of our country's welfare. :) I'm mostly joking of course, but holy smokes, people need to turn it down a notch. The end of the world it is not.

#354 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

I don't think they really push that radio anymore. They did for awhile but now you have to search for it to find it. The brass at Sirius lied to the FCC. They told them they were going to maintain the services as is for I think they gave a year number. As soon as they thought the FCC wouldn't care they started merging all the channels into one for each service. I think they actually overestimated the time when the FCC would do nothing since I think the wouldn't have done anything 30 seconds after walking out the door with approval.

I had Dish at the time they purchased Directv and the FCC was looking into it. I watched a Charlie Chat and someone asked about NFL Sunday Ticket and would it be on, what would the name of the company be, etc. Charlie said the name of the merged company would probably be Directv since it was more recognizable. About Sunday Ticket he said they'd look into it and then he started hem hawing around about the future if it, IF the NFL would even continue offering it, costs, etc. That's why I said I think it would have been exclusive to In Demand by now because he wouldn't have paid it, would cry about wanting fair rates, have his webmaster make 12 websites about it, all the while charging the same thing everyone else does for his basic programming services.

no way it's going cable only. The bar seen is to big for it to be cable only and even in 2012 sports HD sucks on most cable systems.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#355 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

I don't care what Type or anything about your Directv investments. Point is these company will flatout refuse to take a loss of anykind. So here we are today because of it.

Thats why we get increased prices every year. So your going to sit there and tell me Directv and Viacom don't have Wiggle room with a 2 billion dollar profit from Viacom a year and Directv hundreds if not Billion of Profit a year!

Yea OK !:lol: When they think they may not profit they both raise rates.

So who's fault is that! The investers!

Invester Pressure on a company to Profit at the customers expence!

I know you don't care. You made that plain. I'm going to tell you anyone who has these companies as part of their portfolios be it an investor, a 401K mutual fund, an employee who works at these companies making $30K a year and purchases stock through the company, and anyone else with a stake wants them to make as much of a profit as they can. That's just facts and life. The only thing you see is billionaires and "greedy" corporations. You don't bother to think about the large percentage of common stockholders who work 40 hours a week like I do who may have money invested in this for their futures as well. Like I said, you come off very bitter and jealous over anyone who makes $1 more than you.

#356 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

no way it's going cable only. The bar seen is to big for it to be cable only and even in 2012 sports HD sucks on most cable systems.

No, it isnt. I said had Dish been approved to buy Directv years ago.

#357 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Like I said, you come off very bitter and jealous over anyone who makes $1 more than you.

No, Just bitter toward Millionares that claim they don't make enough money,and want the little guy to give them more! The more you invest your little pay check the more you make them. So be my guest! You can invest you hard earned dollars into another Billionare CEO pocket to make penuts. Enjoy!

Maybe he'll take you out in his personal Jet sometime!

#358 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Our Gas , Taxes and many other Item have increased 30% or more in some cases. Not uncommon, and stop using 30 % just to make it sound big 30% hold no value as a term when you and I don't even know what its 30% of! Or how many years it involves!

It is not that hard. It is 30% of their current cost.

Don't know how long the contract would be for but 30% is 30% no matter if it is $1 or $100.

You don't hand Viacom 30% then try to deal with others. They will all expect 30% which would mean a lot of money.

Or this way. A1 cent increase per day per channel leads to

.01 a day x 20 channels x 20,000,000 customers x 365 days = $1.4 billion per year.

Directv says $1 billion. Viacom says pennies a day. Both are right. But it is still 30%.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#359 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

After reading many 'classy' twitter posts, I'm beginning to think the loss of MTV type channels might be in the best interest of our country's welfare. :) I'm mostly joking of course, but holy smokes, people need to turn it down a notch. The end of the world it is not.

I wasn't going to say anything.... but I did some twitter searches too, and man.... if that is the average viewing audience of the Viacom channels, please God, help this nation.

A few prized examples:

Wtfff! Direct tv trippinn 4 real hell naw they tryna take away alot of tv showz datz f**ked up im fenna kall this # and go off!!!!

Yall dat got Direct Tv needa call 1800-531-5000 to see wassup so we can keep da channels Viacom owns. Like BET, MTV, VH1,NICK, etc

If u @DIRECTV I feel for you...they tryna take all da good channels from.yall #TeamCOX w/ dey high asses

Are you serious? :D

I remember doing some twitter searches during the Tribune dispute in May, but I haven't seen anything THIS bad.

Must be that overdose of Jersey Shore.

I'm really, really sorry to offend anyone, but PLEASE!!! Can someone teach these people.... you know... ENGLISH? It's not MY first language either, but come on, that is just ridiculous.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#360 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

I wasn't going to say anything.... but I did some twitter searches too, and man.... if that is the average viewing audience of the Viacom channels, please God, help this nation.

A few prized examples:

Wtfff! Direct tv trippinn 4 real hell naw they tryna take away alot of tv showz datz f**ked up im fenna kall this # and go off!!!!

Yall dat got Direct Tv needa call 1800-531-5000 to see wassup so we can keep da channels Viacom owns. Like BET, MTV, VH1,NICK, etc

If u @DIRECTV I feel for you...they tryna take all da good channels from.yall #TeamCOX w/ dey high asses

Are you serious? :D

I remember doing some twitter searches during the Tribune dispute in May, but I haven't seen anything THIS bad.

Must be that overdose of Jersey Shore.

I'm really, really sorry to offend anyone, but PLEASE!!! Can someone teach these people.... you know... ENGLISH? It's not MY first language either, but come on, that is just ridiculous.

The thugs who wear their pants down probbably are tweeting that. With that said, in 3 hours time all hell will potentially break loose with the Directv csr's and angry customers. This could be fun in a very bad way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...