Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

According to DTV rep I spoke with in the phone, they were in fact blindsided by the Viacom scroll, and threats to pull channels. Just more positioning in contract negotiations. She also said the directv promise site would be updated soon.

+1
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Waitasec.... does one of the Viacom channels show that Snookie show from the shores of Jersey?

PULL DIRECTV PULL THE CHANNEL!!!!!!!
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#23 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

According to DTV rep I spoke with in the phone, they were in fact blindsided by the Viacom scroll, and threats to pull channels. Just more positioning in contract negotiations. She also said the directv promise site would be updated soon.

Im talking with them right now, and Im wondering what the hell is going on? I think we may be getting credits apalooza which would be nice for people like me that are trying to compensate for Sunday Ticket.

#24 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,737 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Does anyone have a complete list of the 26 channels?

#25 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,468 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

That is a little greedy on behalf of Viacom. They want a 30% increase and people that were lucky to get an increase in their pay, maybe got 3%. Most fixed or retires incomes that have a cost of living clause, might get a 3% increase in their checks. I would be glad to give them 30%, increase, if I got a 30% increase in my pay.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#26 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

Always find these spats interesting. Shame that there's not some way to make the content provider pricing more transparent to the end consumer to let the public decide what's a fair price.

And with the newer technologies they may be haggling over some other terms as well.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#27 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Sometime between 2003 and 2005, there was a massive no-holds-barred fight between Dish and Viacom where there were crawls in the middle of the screen followed by Dish Network quickly blacking it out. It was very annoying for those of us with DirecTV and other providers.

Of course, I would remember this... I was a moderator back then.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#28 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

That is a little greedy on behalf of Viacom. They want a 30% increase and people that were lucky to get an increase in their pay, maybe got 3%. Most fixed or retires incomes that have a cost of living clause, might get a 3% increase in their checks. I would be glad to give them 30%, increase, if I got a 30% increase in my pay.

Yea, all that reality programming and cartoon stuff is expensive :)
And Colbert and Stewart are ALWAYS on vacation anyway.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#29 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

http://www.viacom.co...es/default.aspx
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#30 OFFLINE   danpeters

danpeters

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Does anyone have a complete list of the 26 channels?

I really don't think DirecTV carries 26 of their channels..

I am coming up with: MTV, Nick, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, Spike, TV Land, CMT, Logo, MTV 2, VH1 Classic, Centric, Palladia, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, TeenNick.

It looks like they are starting to put Alert channels under each channel in the guide so I'll scroll through and see if I missed any.

Dan

Edit: Missed MTV t3es

#31 OFFLINE   Linxs

Linxs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

I really don't think DirecTV carries 26 of their channels..

I am coming up with: MTV, Nick, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, Spike, TV Land, CMT, Logo, MTV 2, VH1 Classic, Centric, Palladia, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, TeenNick.

It looks like they are starting to put Alert channels under each channel in the guide so I'll scroll through and see if I missed any.

Dan

Edit: Missed MTV t3es

Theirs also the Viacom owned local channels.

#32 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

I called a CSR from America amazingly, and she said D* has a 99 percent success rate with this etc etc. I pretty much wasnt angry, but I was irritated by the lack of PR on both sides about this. I mean when stuff like this occurs, you get a couple of weeks notice not 24 hours.

#33 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Please drop these channels and lower my bill. :) At least give me a chance to drop their stuff and lower my bill. Go ahead Viacom, make my day.

#34 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,737 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Mike White is on 299-1. I wonder when he made that video?

#35 OFFLINE   danpeters

danpeters

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Mike White is on 299-1. I wonder when he made that video?

It had to be fairly recent. And likely not 20 minutes ago recent. So.. it sounds like they have been working with Viacom for a while and had a feeling it might come down to this?

The directvpromise.com site still doesn't have the new video or any other information on it yet.

#36 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

All due respect to those that don't like viacom channels - viacom properties basically are "cable". This isn't FX or VS or G4. These re some pretty serious heavy hitter tv properties. I can't imagine not having access to them.

Btw LUV hie mie white days this is about a la carte. Haha. Yeah right.

#37 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

All due respect to those that don't like viacom channels - viacom properties basically are "cable". This isn't FX or VS or G4. These re some pretty serious heavy hitter tv properties. I can't imagine not having access to them.

Btw LUV hie mie white days this is about a la carte. Haha. Yeah right.

Mike white is wrong, but your right on your first point. I mean MTV,Nick, and VH1 along with BET are highly rated channels and this if it happens could be something that drives subscribers away from D*.

#38 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Mike white is wrong, but your right on your first point. I mean MTV,Nick, and VH1 along with BET are highly rated channels and this if it happens could be something that drives subscribers away from D*.

Or $150/mo bills might drive them away. Pick your poison.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#39 OFFLINE   danpeters

danpeters

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

I really can't see this going on for more than a couple of days, if the channels are even dropped at all.

I think DISH dropped them for, what, 2 or 3 days in 2004 before they got everything worked out?

Dan

#40 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Or $150/mo bills might drive them away. Pick your poison.

Personally I already pat that. My choice. But certainly won't continue to pay that with such a sizable chunk of cable missing from my line up.

You can run but you can't hide forever from higher tv bills - even if you cut the cord. Piper is going to get paid sooner or later.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...