Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Theirs also the Viacom owned local channels.

not anymore. Viacom and CBS split back in 06 into 2 separate companies. So no locals are affected

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   capt14k

capt14k

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Viacom says 26 channels Directv says 17 channels which is it and exactly what channels are they. Honestly I can care less about MTV, BET, VH1, LOGO Spike is OK but I can live without it. The Nickelodeon Channels I would like to have. Viacom is asking for an absurd price increase 30% or $1B is way too much. Most channels beside the Nickelodeon Networks show nothing but garbage reality shows. Viacom wants all their channels or nothing because no one would pay for anything but possibly the Nickelodeon Channels and $1B for just those channels can't be justified. If anyone knows which side is telling the truth and the complete channel list affected could you please post.

#43 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Viacom says 26 channels Directv says 17 channels which is it and exactly what channels are they. Honestly I can care less about MTV, BET, VH1, LOGO Spike is OK but I can live without it. The Nickelodeon Channels I would like to have. Viacom is asking for an absurd price increase 30% or $1B is way too much. Most channels beside the Nickelodeon Networks show nothing but garbage reality shows. Viacom wants all their channels or nothing because no one would pay for anything but possibly the Nickelodeon Channels and $1B for just those channels can't be justified. If anyone knows which side is telling the truth and the complete channel list affected could you please post.

Neither is being truthful.

#44 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

I kind of get the feeling DirecTV got blindsided by Viacom on this one.

It's usually the media companies that start the mudslinging first.

I say dump the channels.

I might miss TV Land and Spike..... but ah well.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#45 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

That's likely have since they don't even have anything up on directvpromise.com yet regarding this.

They've updated their Facebook page but not the directvpromise site yet. It's probably coming soon.

#46 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

I say dump the channels for awhile. Let Viacom explain to their advertisers how they're suddenly 20 million viewers less. Watch their stock drop. Then renegotiate next week.

#47 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hello everyone,

Another typical dispute between the content provider and DirecTV. Following the trend the content providers will reach a point that the content will be rejected due to overvaluation of the content vs the ability of the subscribers to pay. As others have noted the subscribers income is increasing at a very small rate, not at all or actually decreasing. The subscriber base will eventually dwindle thus making the system a candidate for collapse. :soapbox:
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#48 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

Interesting comments on Facebook about breach of contract if channels are dropped. Is there anything in the contract about just how many channels they're allowed to drop before you can be let out of your contract? Can they just turn EVERYTHING off and you still legally have to continue to pay monthly or pay an ETF?

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Interesting comments on Facebook about breach of contract if channels are dropped. Is there anything in the contract about just how many channels they're allowed to drop before you can be let out of your contract? Can they just turn EVERYTHING off and you still legally have to continue to pay monthly or pay an ETF?

If I recall from reading it, it just says it is at their discretion to add/drop channels. They would probably do like DISH did, and add channels to fill in the holes. There are lots of channels they dont carry they could pick up.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

One thing though...DirecTV is fantastic with negotiations. You usually never even know when they're going on, unlike Dish Network which yanks channels all the time and for extended periods (FX was six months, YES, SNY, MSG have been gone for...two years?). The Tribune dispute lasted a week before they came back online.

Err what? FX, FSN and Natgeo were dark on Dish Network for about 28 days I dont know where your getting your "6 months" from but it is not correct.

Also whats this talk of being blindsided? I get that DTV might have been blind sided by the crawls but I dont see how they could be blind sided by contracts expiring o.O

#51 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

I don't even know how Viacom could justify a 30% increase.

MTV has been crap since Beavis & Butthead went off the air, Comedy Central isn't all that funny, the other 'music' channels fail to live to their names, and Nickelodeon is starting to get questionable.

They'll be fortunate if they get 5%

#52 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

A

I don't even know how Viacom could justify a 30% increase.

MTV has been crap since Beavis & Butthead went off the air, Comedy Central isn't all that funny, the other 'music' channels fail to live to their names, and Nickelodeon is starting to get questionable.

They'll be fortunate if they get 5%

All those reality shows they air cost SO MUCH to make don't you know :rolleyes:

#53 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

If Viacom is saying 26 channels and DirecTV is saying 17 channels does this possibily mean the new contract has 26 channels and not just 17 channels. That would probably justify the 30% increase. I saw Epix is one of their networks at Viacom's website, I do believe. Is this what Jim Norton meant when he said Epix is coming to DirecTV in July? Viacom and DirecTV did add channels to their contract back in 2005 that I saw on DirecTV's news release way back then.

Edited by Jeffro, 10 July 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

I do like what is on Spike even after the UFC jumped ship. But really, I don't love them that much to warrant that increase.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#55 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

A

unfortunately shows like "snooki goes to mexico to meet her biological parents" probably do cost small fortune, in paying for booze and ratty appartments/condos lol.

Unfortunately millions of tools tune into that terrible programming even on reruns and Viacom is probably using those viewer ratings as a justification for there rate hike.

#56 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

I counted 17 channels unless Viacom is counting their HD feeds of select channels plus Epix, otherwise the math is wrong somewhere.

If Viacom is saying 26 channels and DirecTV is saying 17 channels does this possibily mean the new contract has 26 channels and not just 17 channels. That would probably justify the 30% increase. ...

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#57 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Maybe the glass is half full. If they lose 17 or so Viacomm channels, D* would then have the bandwith to put a dent in the wish list from the Anticipation thread.

#58 ONLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

Here we go again another company that doesn't know how to make money with ad revenue and needs to stick it to the consumer instead. If I lived alone I would drop pay TV totally.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#59 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

I watch Spike and VH1C, but I would like D* to put the screws to them. I don't want my bill to rise.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#60 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

I really can't see this going on for more than a couple of days, if the channels are even dropped at all.

I think DISH dropped them for, what, 2 or 3 days in 2004 before they got everything worked out?

Dan

I think it was maybe a day and a half.

spam firewall