Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

One thing though...DirecTV is fantastic with negotiations. You usually never even know when they're going on, unlike Dish Network which yanks channels all the time and for extended periods (FX was six months, YES, SNY, MSG have been gone for...two years?). The Tribune dispute lasted a week before they came back online.

Directv has gotten worse in the last year or two. The channels may stay but not without public arguing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

unfortunately shows like "snooki goes to mexico to meet her biological parents" probably do cost small fortune, in paying for booze and ratty appartments/condos lol.

You forgot the condoms(if they used them) , pregnancy tests, ugly clothes..the list goes on and on..:):):)

But seriously, This all went down after I signed off for the night..IMHO I think Viacom did blindside D*.. a 30% increse is unjustified..Looking over my viewing habits I only watch a few of the channels a little of the time.. I do not let my 4 year old watch Nick ( I absolutly HATE !! Spongebob and will not allow him to watch) ((RIP Ernest Borgnine:angel:))

I guess we will see what takes place in the next few hours or days..

#63 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

EDIT:

I am going to be PISSED if Nick gets dropped for GOOD, period. This bickering on both sides is getting inexcusable and our bills are hight enough as it is. I just renewed for 2 years last week. If Nick is going to be for an extended time, I will call Uverse who said they would be HAPPY to pay my full ETF to get be on board.

Maybe D* needs to ear info like this and Viacom needs to realize 20 mil viewers both watching in not good either. Then maybe D* will care less if I leave as they will get a huge EFT.

Overall, I support DIRECTV on this one and relayed that i get get Nick stuff via netflix and my Blu-ray player.

Edited by gio12, 10 July 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

No big loss here if the Viacom channels go dark. With the exception of a few concerts on Palladia we don't watch any of their channels. They don't fit our viewing habits and are loaded with annoying commercials.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#65 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

I've got a four and six year old, and I say let the channels go. Plenty of other Kids channels out there. 30% increase is a flipping joke.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#66 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

I don't blame Directv for doing this. But honest.y if I could legally get all games local and otherwise through Internet and mobile apps from MLB, NHL, and NFL live I'd drop pay tv. I only watch one Viacom channel (Spike) and that's only when they are showing reruns of CSI:NY or something Iike that. But this is becoming way too commonplace and until providers finally bite the bullet and stand up to them over the long haul, nothing will change. As I said when Fox or ESPN was in public dispute. Remove the channels and issue a refund to customers for the amount they say those channels were charging. Then maybe people will begin to understand. I'm tired of this.

#67 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

I am going to be PISSED if Nick gets dropped, period. This bickering on both sides is getting inexcusable and our bills are hight enough as it is. I just renewed for 2 years last week. If Nick is going to be for an extended time, I will call Uverse who said they would be HAPPY to pay my full ETF to get be on board.

Maybe D* needs to ear info like this and Viacom needs to realize 20 mil viewers both watching in not good either. Then maybe D* will care less if I leave as they will get a huge EFT.

My wife's parents have UVERSE and acccording to them they have already had trouble renegotiating channels and they've been around for what? 2-3 years maybe? You aren't going to get away from this short of putting an antenna up.

#68 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

But how will I watch "Walking Dead" and "Mad Men"? Oh wait, never mind.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#69 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

If you are all so content to lose this many channels tht you don't think provide any value - why do yOu pay for tv in the first place. You can get NHL MLB nba and nfl vie the Internet as well as local news and network tv ota - and anything else you might want through a collection of iTunes amazon and Netflix. Just cut the cord already. You don't because it's all just chest pounding about a supposed increase in fees.

Has directv ever jacked your bill up by a 30%? Nope. How many times have they claimed some outrageous fee increase? Pretty much every time. And financially they continue to do very well. I must've missed the huge opex increase in their quarterly reports. these fee increases aren't real or our based on some fuzzy math or are over some absurd period of time or they are asking for something more like hd, tv everywhere, setter in demand rights etc.

Edited by tulanejosh, 10 July 2012 - 06:42 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

not anymore. Viacom and CBS split back in 06 into 2 separate companies. So no locals are affected

Viacom still owns one local channel - KGBS-CA, a low power analog channel (32) in Austin TX. I do not know for sure, but I doubt this channel is on DirecTV, anyway.

#71 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

If taking down some channels for a few days gets DirecTV a better price for every subscriber, for several years, then that's fine.

It seems like that's the only way to a better end result these days.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#72 OFFLINE   meldar_b

meldar_b

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

corporate creed at work:bad_nono: give'em the axe:mad: 30% increase is to much to pay for mostly rerun channels :P

#73 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I don't even know how Viacom could justify a 30% increase.

MTV has been crap since Beavis & Butthead went off the air, Comedy Central isn't all that funny, the other 'music' channels fail to live to their names, and Nickelodeon is starting to get questionable.

They'll be fortunate if they get 5%

I do not know what it will be like this year, but in the past, Comedy Central had the most entertaining coverage of the Republican and Democratic national conventions. :D

#74 OFFLINE   wedge40

wedge40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

I've been mulling over Uverse for a while.. This could be the push I need I pick up the phone and make the call.

Wedge

#75 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

If taking down some channels for a few days gets DirecTV a better price for every subscriber, for several years, then that's fine.

It seems like that's the only way to a better end result these days.

Sixto

a couple days is ok. But when you get to a point where the peanut gallery is screaming take the bum channels down I don't watch tht crap anyway. You have to wonder what they do watch. And while I'm not passing judgment on whatever that might be its not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that many simply have philosophical issues paying for any tv over a certain amount and based in the appearance of their somewhat limited channel interests the might be better served not paying directv at all and cutting cord.

I never believe that directv or the network are being 100% truthful. It's probably not 30% becausyoy just don't see that in the annual reports of any of these companies.

#76 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

It wouldn't bother me a bit, if they took them down, I don't watch any of them. The wife does watch a few programs on them though, and she might not be to happy. But when I tell her the increase Viacom is demanding, she will understand.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#77 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Directv should request a big price reduction from Viacom. These channels are crap and if they are gone, great, more room for better stuff on the transponders. Play hard ball, Directv !
Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

My gear:
http://www.dbstalk.c...931#post2931931

#78 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Directv should request a big price reduction from Viacom. These channels are crap and if they are gone, great, more room for better stuff on the transponders. Play hard ball, Directv !

I agree. And if you have kids, there are better things you can challenge their minds with instead of pushing them in front of the TV so they'll keep quiet. :D

DirecTV isn't going to let Viacom go.

I was on TWC when they had to re-negotiate a couple of years ago, and they went black for about a week. And that's fine, no one is going to leave DirecTV for channels being black for a week, but Viacom is going to lose some advertising income as it won't show their ads to a potential 20 million viewers.

Play hard. I'm with DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#79 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

I think they are counting standard def and HD separately (I'm still missing one)

2 BET
1 Centric
2 CMT
2 Comedy Central
1 Logo
2 MTV
1 MTV2
1 MTV t3es
3 Nick, NickW
1 Nick Jr
1 Nick Toons
1 Palladia
2 Spike
1 Teen Nick
1 TV Land
2 VH1
1 VH1 Classic
25 Total

#80 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

For the most part, I can live w/o the Viacom channels. I occasionally watch The Colbert Report on comedy central, but that's about it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall