Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Is Lifetime not part of Viacom? For some reason I thought they were.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Is Lifetime not part of Viacom? For some reason I thought they were.

A+E Networks (Hearst, ABC/Disney & Comcast)

#83 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

If you are all so content to lose this many channels tht you don't think provide any value - why do yOu pay for tv in the first place. You can get NHL MLB nba and nfl vie the Internet as well as local news and network tv ota - and anything else you might want through a collection of iTunes amazon and Netflix. Just cut the cord already. You don't because it's all just chest pounding about a supposed increase in fees.

Erm, sort of. Good luck getting local baseball (blacked out), local college sports (blacked out for some, if not most), local hockey, etc.

Exclusive cable RSN's really make cutting the cord, for a sports fan, very very difficult.

#84 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've usually been okay with disputes, but these are some very popular channels...
No matter what, we lose. Either our bill stays the same and we lose a huge chunk of channels, or we keep the channels and the extra cost is passed to us.

My wife and I have discussed dropping pay TV completely, "cutting the cord" if you will, and this might be the tipping point. We have an Apple TV and an iPad, so that gets us Hulu (airplay), netflix, mlb, nhl, and nba.
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#85 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

I have to ask the moderators: Why isn't this thread under "Directv Programming"? I really think Programming is much more appropriate than "General Discussion".

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#86 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

At least I got to watch Teen Wolf on MTV last night without any banners or screen crawls...

I read the press release from DIRECTV, stating that Viacom is forcing DIRECTV to take the channels down, and then I read the press release from Viacom which states DIRECTV will take the channels down. If Viacom is indeed forcing DIRECTV to go black on those channels, then Viacom needs to own up to that, rather than make it appear DIRECTV is doing this on its own.

#87 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

It's just like high school, only with larger stakes.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#88 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

If Viacom is saying 26 channels and DirecTV is saying 17 channels does this possibily mean the new contract has 26 channels and not just 17 channels. That would probably justify the 30% increase. I saw Epix is one of their networks at Viacom's website, I do believe. Is this what Jim Norton meant when he said Epix is coming to DirecTV in July? Viacom and DirecTV did add channels to their contract back in 2005 that I saw on DirecTV's news release way back then.

So this is EPIX plan to get carriage???? and 30% more may be the cost of EPIX?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#89 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

I would rather have all these crappy channels dropped. There isnt' a single one that my family watches. I used to watch MTV back when M standed for Music... Nowadays, reality crap, I don't give a rat's.... Once in a blue moon, i catch an old show on Nick at Nite, like Wonder Years. I like South Park, but there are so many alternative ways to watch it. The 2 shows I'd miss from comedy Central are the Daily Show and Colbert, but I can live w/out them.

So, if like you are saying on twitter, #DirectvHasMyBack, then drop all of these crappy channels and add beInSports HD, BBC America HD and Fox Deportes HD!

Edited by TravelFan1, 10 July 2012 - 07:53 AM.
I forgot about Colbert and Daily Show.

#90 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

If you are all so content to lose this many channels tht you don't think provide any value - why do yOu pay for tv in the first place. You can get NHL MLB nba and nfl vie the Internet as well as local news and network tv ota - and anything else you might want through a collection of iTunes amazon and Netflix. Just cut the cord already. You don't because it's all just chest pounding about a supposed increase in fees.

Yes you can get all these sports via the internet, but it will cost you almost as much as DirecTV itself. I am not someone that watches all teams and all sports, I follow a few specific teams, being MLB Angels, NHL Ducks, and MLS Galaxy.

If I want to watch the Angels online, I have to pay for their FULL package that gets me all the teams. If I want to see the Ducks, I have to pay for the FULL NHL package. If I want to see the L.A. Galaxy, I would have to pay for the FULL MLS package.

By the time I done dishing out money just so I can see those three teams, I have already spent almost the same money I give DirecTV over a period of about 6 months. And if you happen to like NBA on top of that (which I don't) or want to watch some other sports that sell packages online, you are starting to close in to the amount you pay DirecTV for the year....

On top of that, there are plenty of channels I do watch, plenty of stuff I record, and the ease of being able to walk into the living room in the morning, turning on the TV with the remote, switching to CNN for the morning news, is worth some money to me. And there happens to be a channel that doesn't even stream online.

The EASE of a product like a TV carrier is worth money to me. I don't want to go put a computer next to every TV just so I can browse to MLB EI Online streaming to find the game I want to watch, I just want to flip on the TV and press channel 692 or 693, and there is my Angels game. PLUS I want to be able to switch to the Dodgers channel easily in between innings just to see how their game is going, they often play at the same time. Not wait to start buffering the Dodgers stream, and then waiting to start the Angels stream again.

Cutting the cord is a hassle. Every online service uses its own streaming service, it uses its own billing system, one device might not be able to stream everything. If you want to use a Roku with movies/TV you bought through iTunes, you have to have a PC with software installed called Plex, and then switch to the Plex channel on your Roku to be able to watch them. And there is bugs in that software too, it doesn't always work.

Additionally, I don't always want to have to think about what I want to watch. Sometimes I just want to turn on the TV and.... simply see what is on. I might encounter an old re-run of MASH that I had not thought about. Or an interesting interview on PBS I would have never thought of watching. Or get hooked up in some stupid tow show where they are trying to repo someone's car or whatever that I would have never thought to start watching online.

Sorry, but cutting the cord is simply said.... ANNOYING. DirecTV might cost me $100 a month or so, but it is worth the ease of mind and the ease of use for me.

And I will keep subscribing to DirecTV, whether there are Viacom channels or not.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#91 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

http://whendirectvdr...hows-youll-miss

Of the list above, the only shows I watched from time to time are South Park, daily Show and Colbert Report. My Gosh, I checked the list and I realized how much crap can an organization put out there!

#92 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

I will stand behind DirecTV in this fight. I may get a little complaining from the kids, but they are kids and don't have a vote.

Personally, I might miss some of SPIKE, but overall most of these programs aren't worth the additional costs. More power to DirecTV for trying to hold costs down for it's customers.

#93 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Erm, sort of. Good luck getting local baseball (blacked out), local college sports (blacked out for some, if not most), local hockey, etc.

Exclusive cable RSN's really make cutting the cord, for a sports fan, very very difficult.

That and the fact I don't want to buy a PS3 for the NFL.

#94 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yes you can get all these sports via the internet, but it will cost you almost as much as DirecTV itself. I am not someone that watches all teams and all sports, I follow a few specific teams, being MLB Angels, NHL Ducks, and MLS Galaxy.

If I want to watch the Angels online, I have to pay for their FULL package that gets me all the teams. If I want to see the Ducks, I have to pay for the FULL NHL package. If I want to see the L.A. Galaxy, I would have to pay for the FULL MLS package.

By the time I done dishing out money just so I can see those three teams, I have already spent almost the same money I give DirecTV over a period of about 6 months. And if you happen to like NBA on top of that (which I don't) or want to watch some other sports that sell packages online, you are starting to close in to the amount you pay DirecTV for the year....

On top of that, there are plenty of channels I do watch, plenty of stuff I record, and the ease of being able to walk into the living room in the morning, turning on the TV with the remote, switching to CNN for the morning news, is worth some money to me. And there happens to be a channel that doesn't even stream online.

The EASE of a product like a TV carrier is worth money to me. I don't want to go put a computer next to every TV just so I can browse to MLB EI Online streaming to find the game I want to watch, I just want to flip on the TV and press channel 692 or 693, and there is my Angels game. PLUS I want to be able to switch to the Dodgers channel easily in between innings just to see how their game is going, they often play at the same time. Not wait to start buffering the Dodgers stream, and then waiting to start the Angels stream again.

Cutting the cord is a hassle. Every online service uses its own streaming service, it uses its own billing system, one device might not be able to stream everything. If you want to use a Roku with movies/TV you bought through iTunes, you have to have a PC with software installed called Plex, and then switch to the Plex channel on your Roku to be able to watch them. And there is bugs in that software too, it doesn't always work.

Additionally, I don't always want to have to think about what I want to watch. Sometimes I just want to turn on the TV and.... simply see what is on. I might encounter an old re-run of MASH that I had not thought about. Or an interesting interview on PBS I would have never thought of watching. Or get hooked up in some stupid tow show where they are trying to repo someone's car or whatever that I would have never thought to start watching online.

Sorry, but cutting the cord is simply said.... ANNOYING. DirecTV might cost me $100 a month or so, but it is worth the ease of mind and the ease of use for me.

And I will keep subscribing to DirecTV, whether there are Viacom channels or not.

I'm on the app so it doesn't show where you live. I assume you do not live in Southern California since baseball and hockey would black out you watching those live anyway. However, if you ordered the out of market sports packages on Directv then you would save a lot of $$$ by cutting the cord because you could pay for just those. It really depends on how you look at it. We moved from Jacksonville to Tampa in 2008. My son was 3'so I decided even though I didn't care about them I'd purposely try to raise my son as a fan of the Tampa teams and not the teams I was a fan of. I figured we'd be here in his formative years so I wanted him to grow up feeling totally part of the community he was in. As long as we can afford it and I don't think the majority of channels become so trashy I can no longer justify the expense I don't want him to be denied being able to watch those teams which he would be if we cut the cord.

#95 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

As much as i hate to say it even if these channels go dark there is a 0% chance mtv stays dark once jersey shore starts this season. To many viewers and bad publicity.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

#96 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Sometimes I like to watch mindless crap. Not often but sometimes. My 8yr old watches a few shows on Nick but he'd obviously survive. But those of us here don't represent the masses. There is a huge number of people who would freak out and cancel if Viacom went dark for any length of time. A deal will get done because neither side wants to go dark. But the good thing about this is that it allows posters to come here and boast their superiority over others due to these channels being beneath them.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#97 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Also, right now there is a Viacom ad at the bottom of the DBSTalk Android app encouraging people to call DIRECTV to protest.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#98 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Way back last June

http://www.deadline....e-analyst-says/

Analysts were saying that Viacom's ratings are so dire that it might lead Providers to start dropping Viacom channels. Now because their stock is tanking Viacom are seeking to get revenue by increasing the fees they charge providers rather than produce decent programming that people want to watch

#99 OFFLINE   tduffney

tduffney

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

http://www.directvpr...q/#.T_wRwo5j6-I

#100 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

I think they are counting standard def and HD separately (I'm still missing one)

2 BET
1 Centric
2 CMT
2 Comedy Central
1 Logo
2 MTV
1 MTV2
1 MTV t3es
3 Nick, NickW
1 Nick Jr
1 Nick Toons
1 Palladia
2 Spike
1 Teen Nick
1 TV Land
2 VH1
1 VH1 Classic
25 Total

I think Nick@Nite is the missing one. Even though it is broadcast on the Nick channel, I think they count it as a separate "channel".

From Wikipedia: Nick@Nite broadcasts over the channel space of Nickelodeon on Sundays through Thursdays from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Fridays from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Saturdays from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (Eastern and Pacific Time). Though it shares channel space with Nickelodeon, The Nielsen Company rates Nick at Nite as a separate channel from Nickelodeon for ratings purposes. Since Nick at Nite and Nickelodeon are commonly considered as two individual channels that share the same channel space, the two services are sometimes referred to under the collective name 'Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite'.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...