Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't really care about anything but TV Land and Comedy Central and I don't care much about those two... The so-called 'music' channels haven't had music on them in 15 years. Why do they call it Music Television anyway? Puke is more descriptive of the content!

The worst part is we lose no matter what. If DirecTV did drop all the Viacom channels, and it won't, would they lower their prices? Hell no. When they do give in to Viacom's demands they'll use Viacom to justify even a bigger increase in subscription costs than they already have planned for us. It is a lose-lose situation.

My vote - drop the 90% of all the channels - not just Viacom - and lower the sub prices to match the savings. I'm a dreamer I know....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   bman3333

bman3333

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Way back last June

http://www.deadline....e-analyst-says/

Analysts were saying that Viacom's ratings are so dire that it might lead Providers to start dropping Viacom channels. Now because their stock is tanking Viacom are seeking to get revenue by increasing the fees they charge providers rather than produce decent programming that people want to watch

While my 3 year old watches a little Nick Jr and my wife and I watch some of their other channels, I would not be the least bit concerned if they let the Viacom channels go dark. What pisses me off is Viacom charges Netflix a lower fee to stream the same content - it should be the same, regardless of delivery method. Directv needs to get aggressive with all the networks to stop the annual rise in monthly tv fees. I'm a big sports fan, but I despise ESPN for creating the precedent of strong arming cable and sat providers with all or nothing deals. A la carte would be much more fair.

#103 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I say "Let 'em go and free up some bandwidth" :hurah: :lol:

1 - HR34-700
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#104 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

That works for me. Additional suggestions welcome.

Assuming Viacom counts SD and HD as different:

DirecTV |Viacom
1 |2 BET
1 |1 Centric
1 |2 CMT
1 |2 Comedy Central
1 |1 Logo
1 |2 MTV
1 |1 MTV2
1 |1 MTV t3es
1 |3 Nick, NickW
0 |1 Nick at Nite (evening programming on Nick) ?
1 |1 Nick Jr
1 |1 Nick Toons
1 |1 Palladia
1 |2 Spike
1 |1 Teen Nick
1 |1 TV Land
1 |2 VH1
1 |1 VH1 Classic
17 |26 Total

I think Nick@Nite is the missing one. Even though it is broadcast on the Nick channel, I think they count it as a separate "channel".

#105 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

http://whendirectvdr...hows-youll-miss

Of the list above, the only shows I watched from time to time are South Park, daily Show and Colbert Report. My Gosh, I checked the list and I realized how much crap can an organization put out there!

Same here all the other chs are crap, :hurah:

#106 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

i don't care if d drop all of these.

#107 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,165 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

While I enjoy watching 'Repo Games' on Spike & the kids do like a couple of shows on the Nick networks (SpongeBob, Victorious, Family Game Night), we can find other ways to watch these shows so no loss if all, most, or any of these disappear.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#108 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Mike White is on 299-1. I wonder when he made that video?

What??? you got channel 299-1??? I'll have to make a call to Directv you got one more channel more than me..... :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#109 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

I say "Let 'em go and free up some bandwidth" :hurah: :lol:

I agree 100%. Drop all of them.

#110 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Meh, my kids like Nick, but other than that, I can let them go. DirecTV should be driving to lower costs. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#111 OFFLINE   RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I agree 100%. Drop all of them.

then drop our bills too
CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR — Locals Included; HD-HMC - HR34-100; HD - H21-100

#112 OFFLINE   pearkel

pearkel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Let them go, and lower my bill. Let Viacom renegotiate their advertisements with a few less subscribers. :)

#113 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

My 9 year old just called me to tell me to call DirecTV right away so we don't lose Nick. I had to chuckle. Nick and NickToons are the only ones that get any airtime at our house.

#114 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

The only channel I'd miss is Comedy Central and I can get their content by other means.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#115 OFFLINE   RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

The only channel I'd miss is Comedy Central and I can get their content by other means.

well said; 100% agree
CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR — Locals Included; HD-HMC - HR34-100; HD - H21-100

#116 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Don't watch any of them. My 8 year old occasionally watches Nick, but she's glued to Netflix and Hulu on her iPad most of the time anyway.

#117 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

I agree. And if you have kids, there are better things you can challenge their minds with instead of pushing them in front of the TV so they'll keep quiet. :D

DirecTV isn't going to let Viacom go.

I was on TWC when they had to re-negotiate a couple of years ago, and they went black for about a week. And that's fine, no one is going to leave DirecTV for channels being black for a week, but Viacom is going to lose some advertising income as it won't show their ads to a potential 20 million viewers.

Play hard. I'm with DirecTV.

You obviously don't have kids. :lol:

The little TV I do allow my 4 & 7 year olds to watch is on the Nick channels. Nickjr has zero commercials, btw.

That being said, I hope they do work something out.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#118 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

DirecTV should package all of these channels in a separate group, not include them in any of the standard programming packages, and charge appropriately for that group (like the HD Extra pack). Then people that really want them can pay accordingly and the rest of us can avoid the added cost.

Do this for all of the content providers that offer multiple channels. You buy a basic programming package then add the channel groups you want. A somewhat minor variation of the ala-cart concept.

#119 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm on the app so it doesn't show where you live. I assume you do not live in Southern California since baseball and hockey would black out you watching those live anyway. However, if you ordered the out of market sports packages on Directv then you would save a lot of $$$ by cutting the cord because you could pay for just those. It really depends on how you look at it. We moved from Jacksonville to Tampa in 2008. My son was 3'so I decided even though I didn't care about them I'd purposely try to raise my son as a fan of the Tampa teams and not the teams I was a fan of. I figured we'd be here in his formative years so I wanted him to grow up feeling totally part of the community he was in. As long as we can afford it and I don't think the majority of channels become so trashy I can no longer justify the expense I don't want him to be denied being able to watch those teams which he would be if we cut the cord.

I live in Southern California. I watch Angels and Ducks games in full 1080i HD on channels 692/693, and occasionally on KDOC56. And those are all I really care about as far major teams go. I watch LA Galaxy games on occasion as well, and every so often I turn in to the Dodgers or NHL Kings. I also like to watch the Tour de France early in the morning nowadays on 603 NBC Sports Network. I usually catch about 20-30 minutes after the news headlines on CNN before I head out to work. Additionally, I try to catch some international soccer - like UEFA - when I am near a TV at the right time, as the games are usually live in the mornings.

And again: Money is by far the only factor. I wake up in the morning, grab the remote, turn on CNN, make coffee.... The ease of doing that is worth money to me.

What also makes it worth it is - again and I repeat myself - is that sometimes.... its just great to flip channels to see what is on. I catch a lot of OLD shows that way that I had forgotten about (and might not be found online either way).

I know that for cut-the-corders, MONEY is everything, and every other aspect of a pay TV subscription is less important. For me, it is not. The ease of use, the quality of the HD picture, and the hassle that comes with guaranteeing more-or-less the same TV coverage by using 5+ different services that don't always work together very well.... is important for me. I don't want to have to get Roku's for all my TV's, not do I want to overload my internet connection with HD streams to 2 TV's. Having to pick and choose from Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, MLB/NHL/MLS, Hulu, and other services to get the shows I want, is just not worth it to me.

That said, I am not going to miss Viacom channels. The TVLand comedies is about all I would miss really, I only watch Spike every so often for some unintelligent, dumbed down entertainment such as cops chasing bad guys, big dudes repo-ing cars, stuff like that. And it is probably better for my intelligence that I stop watching those. :D :D (besides, the tow-type and cops-type reality shows can be found on TruTV and others as well)

So, I support DirecTV going black until they get to a reasonable price. I know the channels won't be gone forever, and I won't be crying if they are gone for a month or so.

Edited by maartena, 10 July 2012 - 09:35 AM.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#120 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Every time something like this happens, I always wonder why it even needs to happen? Why can't these contracts be permanent or at least long enough for this not to happen multiple times a year? And this seems to happen with pretty much every provider, and it's the viewer who gets screwed every time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...