Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm so sick of being used as a pawn by both sides. Quit running childish scrolls.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

My kids watch a lot of Nik, but we'd be alright if they went dark.

Heck, my boys are starting to use Netflix more to watch their shows via the bluray player anyway.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#123 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

My son would miss Nick and nicktoons, i might miss comedy central once in a while. Other than that I say good riddance to mtv and the rest of the list. None of them are watched here.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#124 OFFLINE   skierbri10

skierbri10

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

I won't miss any of these over commercialed terrible programming channels. Good riddance viacrap.

#125 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

DirecTV says they pay Viacom "Hundreds of Millions of Dollars a Year" for their progamming, already. Now they (Viacom) want a 30% increase that amounts to a "Billion Dollars More". What kind of math are using? Since when does 30% of hundreds of millions equal a billion?

Reality is, Directv and Viacom will come to a compromise that will satisfy both of them and result in higher monthly fees for us.

I agree with who said that they should be able to pay their expenses with the ad revenue generated, since about 40% of their air time are ads. Problem is, nobody is watching the ads, thanks to the most wonderful invention ever: the DVR!

Directv wants to be able to buy channels ala carte, but they don't want to give us that option. Can't have it both ways.

I would hate to lose some of the channels Viacom offers, but frankly, their programming has gotten increasingly worse over the years. Maybe they need a wake up call.

If Nickelodeon is doing so poorly, maybe they should consider that most people don't want to watch marathons all weekend long. Just air a couple episodes of something, and then show something else.
Jim

#126 OFFLINE   FlyinV

FlyinV

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

I am getting tired of this story.
Perhaps I will switch back to comcast cable.

#127 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

DirecTV should package all of these channels in a separate group, not include them in any of the standard programming packages, and charge appropriately for that group (like the HD Extra pack). Then people that really want them can pay accordingly and the rest of us can avoid the added cost.

Do this for all of the content providers that offer multiple channels. You buy a basic programming package then add the channel groups you want. A somewhat minor variation of the ala-cart concept.

You know.... we're slowly starting to get to a point where there are about 8 or so major players. We have AMC, Discovery, Viacom, Tribune, NBC/Comcast, ABC/Disney, and probably some more I forget. Then there are a bunch of smaller ones.

I don't see it as impossible that due to mergers and changes in the media industry, we'll end up with 10 media companies, each controlling 20-30 channels of different varieties.

A channel group a-la-carte where you can decide which media companies you want to pay for might be a nice idea. However, it is not going to keep contract negotiations and disputes away. To offer a "Viacom Package" they would still need to negotiate over the price, and if the price is higher, the customer will just see a higher price for that package.

But it does allow one to decide whether it is worth it.

I don't believe neither DirecTV (or any carrier) nor Viacom (or any media company) would actually go for this concept.

Example: I would probably NOT pick a Viacom Package. But having the channels now, I do find myself on Spike or TVLand from time to time, which means.... I watch their commercials, which means in turn I am part of the numbers they present to their advertisers as a "potential viewer". With hard subscription numbers that DirecTV will provide, it will be a lot harder to sell advertising. Furthermore, DirecTV rather would have you pay for a large package of channels, even if you don't watch half of them, as they would make more money that way.

So although a nice idea, it will probably never happen.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#128 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

And you think Comcast never has disputes like this?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#129 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Let them go, and lower my bill. Let Viacom renegotiate their advertisements with a few less subscribers. :)

I'll drink to that.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#130 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Solid Signal has an article about the dispute, blaming Viacom's poor ad rates for their need to raise the rates.

http://blog.solidsig...or-the-squabble

#131 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Solid Signal has an article about the dispute, blaming Viacom's poor ad rates for their need to raise the rates.

http://blog.solidsig...or-the-squabble

Sounds like Viacom is in the weaker position here. D* should drop the channels for a week and then renegotiate for a cheaper rate than they are getting now.

#132 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I say let the channels go dark. I do not watch any of them so I would not miss anything at all. :contract::nono:

#133 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

I won't lie... I'm kind of bummed by this!

When there was a potential FOX blackout last year, I really didn't care as I would have essentially missed the last couple of episodes of "American Horror Story"... and potentially "Justified" had it gone on much longer, but with the things going on in my life at the time, I really didn't care about AHS, and I never got around to seeing "Justified" season two on Blu-ray, so I ended up skipping season three with the intention of catching up one of these days.

With Viacom though, I find I watch more of their programming (shows in blue are showing new episodes now!):

TV Land: "Hot In Cleveland," "The Soul Man", "Happily Divorced", "Retired At 35," "The Exes".
MTV: "Awkward." and "Teen Wolf".
Comedy Central: "Futurama"
NickToons: "Iron Man: Armored Adventures"

I'll occasionally tune in to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central and the occasional concert, etc., on Palladia or CMT, but it's rare.

That being said, I can always catch up on the TV Land shows at a later time, and ditto for "Futurama" which is often rerun on CC. I'll be bummed about "Awkward." and "Teen Wolf," but I'm hoping DirecTV stands firm for as long as they need to in order to get a good deal, so oh well... :(

~Alan

#134 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

You obviously don't have kids. :lol:

Nope. But I have nephews, nieces, etc.... and I believe parenting has gone by the wayside. We rather put our kids in front of mind-numbing entertainment then letting them discover the world for themselves.

I had a TV with 5 channels when I grew up. I got to watch it maybe half an hour or so at night, and on Saturday morning.

And guess what, I turned out just fine. My parents played with me, taught me things, raised me to respect everyone, and let me explore the world on my own as much as they could.

This is totally off topic, but when I see a family in a restaurant where the kids are playing games on the iPad or some other electronic device, and both parents aren't even talking to each other but staring at their phones.... "pathetic" is the word that comes to mind.

We are so involved in our own minds we are forgetting to raise our children. And this is not directed at anyone in particular, as I do not know any of you personally, but I more and more get annoyed at parents using technology to "escape" from their children more and more and more. It has been proven that television at young ages actually does more harm then good. Children need other humans to interact with, not humans or cartoon characters locked up in a box.

TV is fine for an hour a day or so, but they'll get addicted to it if that is all you give them after school or after work. Parents should turn off their kids TV's after 1 hour and force them to read, build, construct, create, think, move.

I'm sure that many of you will accuse me of not knowing how it is to raise kids, and I don't know what I am talking about....but that is how I feel about current society and the way we deal with kids. Something just doesn't feel right, and kids just don't seem to be raised right any more. But maybe I am just getting old.

Anyways, too far off topic - back to Viacom's channels.

I am the Stig.

#135 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I think since the content on those channels has declined in the last 5 years, maybe the rate should also decline....

I think the only channel I watch is spike, and that is for the powerblock anyway... they have a website and I can watch for free so I won't miss them... goahead, DirecTV, Drop Viacom and either replace those channels with something else or lower my bill...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#136 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Sounds like Viacom is in the weaker position here. D* should drop the channels for a week and then renegotiate for a cheaper rate than they are getting now.

Aye. Let them go dark, and let Viacom panic for a bit. :)

I am the Stig.

#137 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

We have had discussions about how DirecTV gets signal from channels. Many saying that they only pull down what is on the birds, everyone getting them all at the same time from the same place. And yet, today, Viacom is running a banner for DirecTV that is not showing up on Fios. So, the source can dictate what they see somehow.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#138 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,359 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Only one I've ever watched is TVLand, but Viacom can keep it & the others.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#139 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm listening to CEO Mike White, on any one of the Viacom channels (with a "-1"), and he says "Viacom wants you to pay over 30 percent more." That "[Viacom] demands [subscribers] pay substantially more" for the same channels we get. Well, DirecTV could drop all of them. Let time pass, and see if Viacom is okay having lost distribution of all its programming through DirecTV.

Edited by APB101, 10 July 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#140 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

It will happen to them too.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

spam firewall