Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#1381 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

I'm probably the last geek that doesn't.

I"ve never watched Doctor Who or BBC. I've qued it up on Netflix to see what I might be missing.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1382 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Somehow I managed to live for 54 years without watching Jon Stewart. I can probably endure for the three or four months or years it takes to resolve this.

Many of us lived through the days when home NFL games were blacked out, when not every hockey and basketball game was televised, when you could see only one or two college football games per Saturday. We survived.

I've lived in Tampa and Jacksonville, I still do :D

#1383 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

My question is how long before Viacom starts yelling collusion?
If you have D* and AT&T or was it Cox that are standing up to Viacom and say one more jumps in like Comcast or Dish will Viacom file a collusion suit against all of them.
Obviously D* and AT&T can go without these channels and operate just fine but at what point does Viacom start losing enough money to cry uncle?

There isn't any so far as anyone knows. I'm sure Cox can pull for whoever they want, they just can't conspire with Directv against them.

#1384 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

If Viacom has some looser channels, then they should get rid of them instead of trying to subsidize them with higher fees, or with channels that are actually making money. It makes no sense in throwing good money after bad. Stream line their channel offerings and then they can charge a reasonable fee.

On a side note, even with all those channels available on D*, sometimes there is nothing on that I care to watch. So I watch Judge Judy on DVR, or go to Netflix, or pop in a DVR or BlueRay. Of course other members of my family watch and record some of the channels I don't watch.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

#1385 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

While you might want to do this and can live with maybe 5 channels, there are people out there like me that would pay for alot more than 5 channels. This is not advisable. You would end up paying more then you think and probably not save really anything but just have the stations you want.

Well... there are different approaches. Even in a a-la-carte world, where you can buy/build your own packages, you can still have complete "choice" type packages.

Many companies offer "bundle" deals, and not just phone/internet/tv type bundling, but things like:

Rent a car: $50.
GPS: $15.
Satellite Radio: $15.
Child Seat: $15.

Combo pack: Car + GPS + Sat Radio + ChildSeat: $85.

Now, someone that wants JUST GPS, will pay $65, and the "sweet spot" is when you want to have 2 of the features, you may as well pay $5 more and get it all.

With DirecTV you could do this as well..... E.g. you choose from 3 "standard" Choice type packages, or you "build your own" based on the various media company packages. And since right now channels from the same media company can be split up between packages (e.g. MTV is in "Choice Extra" but not in "Choice"), I am sure that DirecTV can take on a "Lego" approach, and provide you with a number of "building bricks", such as sports, kids, music, entertainment, news, etc....

The biggest hurdle with such a approach is that they probably both would not want it. Media companies will want to have the chance you will tune in to their channels, and DirecTV wants to maximize their profits, and not allow people to kill off half their package because they don't watch the channels.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1386 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

does anyone think tht viacom is also trying to make directv to add all of the epix channels

#1387 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Somehow I managed to live for 54 years without watching Jon Stewart. I can probably endure for the three or four months or years it takes to resolve this.

Many of us lived through the days when home NFL games were blacked out, when not every hockey and basketball game was televised, when you could see only one or two college football games per Saturday. We survived.

Many of us lived through the days when we had fewer than five TV stations to choose from and they were available over the air in ghosted, snowy living black and white. We survived.

*THIS!!*

Some people are acting as if their entire family lives will be completely uprooted because of missing television channels, as if the entertainment provided by television really is the only way entertainment can be had.

The world is not ending because your kid can't watch Spongebob.

I remember a time when our only television, which carried 5 channels, was broken. My dad brought it to the repair man who had to wait for a part for three weeks, so we just didn't have TV. Oh well, we found other things to do.

Granted, after the TV was repaired my dad went and bought a NEW TV, and the old one was to be used for us kids and was the one I eventually used to hook up a Commodore 64 so we had 2 spots of entertainment in the house.... but really, if there was nothing worth watching on, there was nothing on and the TV was turned off.

Losing Viacom is not the end of the world. If you really can't live without it, well.... switch. But the contract disputes with Dish, Cox, Comcast, and others.... are just around the corner. This year, next year, 2014.... but they will have to renegotiate. And just like with Time Warner in 2009, chances are your networks will go black.

So, as a favor to yourself and your kids.... make sure you raise them so that they can utilize other forms of entertainment when they aren't entertained by the box in the living room anymore.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1388 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

does anyone think tht viacom is also trying to make directv to add all of the epix channels

I think this is a possibility. Jim Norton, the comedian, has probably been walking around in the Viacom buildings in preparation for his show on EPIX, and might have heard something in the halls about "negotiations with DirecTV" and "carriage of EPIX", or something like that, and drew a few conclusions, and as such made a comment about EPIX coming to DirecTV, probably without knowing that DirecTV had no interest and without knowing these negotiations can be really tough.

I see it as a possibility that EPIX is on the table as one of MANY points of discussion.

I am the Stig.

#1389 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

People left and right have been saying they called and were offered discounts, ranging from $5 a month (which is a little above market value of the channels lost I would imagine) to $30 a month, and even a free NFL Sunday Ticket.

Only thing you have to do, is call them and ask.

Directv should just automatically cut everyone's rate by $5 or whatever they charged for carrying the package. I will not spend 20 - 30 minutes of my time on the phone to beg for a $5 discount. My time is more valuable than that.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#1390 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I for one, would be tickled pink if Epix came to D*. Ideally it could bring the 3 (or is it 4?) HD channels in and replace 3 or 4 of the drek that makes up most of the rest of Viacom's package. :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1391 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Directv should just automatically cut everyone's rate by $5 or whatever they charged for carrying the package. I will not spend 20 - 30 minutes of my time on the phone to beg for a $5 discount. My time is more valuable than that.

OK, that's fair. Don't call! problem solved! :)

I just called this morning on a different issue. I wanted to drop Showtime and ended up with a very nice 6 month discount essentially giving me both HBO and SHO for just a smidgen more than HBO alone.

Took all of about 5 minutes.

Lloyd

#1392 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Consider this:

DirecTV is enjoying the "windfall summer of 2012". They are not paying $1.3 million a day to Viacom. Their customers are blaming Viacom, and all they have to do is throw a few credits at the squeaky wheels. :D

Maybe not just kidding?

Anyway, as a Dish customer I applaud DirecTV for fighting the increases as Charlie has been doing over at Dish.

#1393 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

*THIS!!*
I remember a time when our only television, which carried 5 channels, was broken. My dad brought it to the repair man who had to wait for a part for three weeks, so we just didn't have TV. Oh well, we found other things to do.

Heck I remember when we didn't have a TV. The only stations available were 130 miles north (San Antonio) or 120 miles south (Rio Grande Valley). The only TV in our neighborhood was at a friend's house and the signal would crap out starting at 10:00am. At night the signal also had problems.

Then we got one 40 miles east (Corpus Christi)and my dad bought a tv. That was 1955. Then we got a 2nd station, than a 3rd. No 24 hour TV back then. That was it until in the 70's, cable came in with just a few stations.

We played a lot of baseball, basketball, and football and hung out with friends a lot just having good clean fun.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

#1394 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Just heard CNN Headline News coverage of Viacom pulling the Daily Show stream from its website. They stressed that they did it so Directv subscribers couldn't see them and admonished Viacom by reminding them that it's not only Directv subscribers that are affected by this. Then went on to mention the 30% increase Viacom wanted and Viacom's response that it would only be pennies per customer. Pretty fair coverage, I thought.

I agree that's a fair appraisal of the situation. Nice to see that. Good going to the copywriters and reporters on HLN. :righton:

I'm not cynical enough to think that higher ups at CNN would tell the news staff how to write their stories, ordering them to favor Viacom in their reporting. The fallout from such a dumb decision if it was to be made public would be devastating to CNN's credibility. It's more the lunchroom and hallway talk that can flavor how a story is reported that concerns me. The reporters and producers are human. They want to keep their jobs. They know CNN's ratings have taken a nosedive and that will affect carriage rates. It's those concerns which can affect the tone of their reporting. I'm glad to see Headline News' staff is resisting the temptation.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#1395 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

I see it as a possibility that EPIX is on the table as one of MANY points of discussion.

Yeah, I'm curious if EPIX has something to do with Mike White's comments regarding customers "being able to choose which channels they want to pay for". Most of the Viacom lineup is decidedly "basic cable" fare.

As for "pennies per subscriber". Pennis per day, per "26" channels, adds up to quite a bit. It adds up even more when all the other networks want *their* 30% increase when those contracts come up.

#1396 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

Consider this:

DirecTV is enjoying the "windfall summer of 2012". They are not paying $1.3 million a day to Viacom. Their customers are blaming Viacom, and all they have to do is throw a few credits at the squeaky wheels. :D

Maybe not just kidding?

Anyway, as a Dish customer I applaud DirecTV for fighting the increases as Charlie has been doing over at Dish.

Don't forget that they are also giving us Encore channels until the end of the month. I doubt that is free to them.

Lloyd

#1397 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Consider this:

Maybe not just kidding?

Consider this. If it is 1.3 million and directv is given 5 buck credits to everyone that calls, all it takes is 260,000 calls (out of 20 million, or about 1%) to blow that 1.3 million.

Although as directv says they spend 100s of millions on Viacom per year, your 1.3 million is low by at least a factor of ten.

Edit Sorry. Missed the per day part. Reading on iPhone.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1398 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

But the contract disputes with Dish, Cox, Comcast, and others.... are just around the corner. This year, next year, 2014.... but they will have to renegotiate. And just like with Time Warner in 2009, chances are your networks will go black.

So, as a favor to yourself and your kids.... make sure you raise them so that they can utilize other forms of entertainment when they aren't entertained by the box in the living room anymore.

+ 1
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#1399 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, I'm curious if EPIX has something to do with Mike White's comments regarding customers "being able to choose which channels they want to pay for". Most of the Viacom lineup is decidedly "basic cable" fare.

As for "pennies per subscriber". Pennis per day, per "26" channels, adds up to quite a bit. It adds up even more when all the other networks want *their* 30% increase when those contracts come up.

How would "a la carte" impact Viacom or Directv if we the viewer/consumer were able to pick only the channels we wanted? I'm not being a smart ass, I have been thinking about this for a bit now...

#1400 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Does anyone know how Epix is sold via the other carriers? Is it a separate premium like HBO and Showtime, or is it in one of the tiers?

spam firewall