Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#1726 OFFLINE   adamblast

adamblast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I cut the cord several years ago. I hate sports, and sports is one of the few advantages left for cable/sat. This really does feel like fighting over the last sushi roll on the Titanic, as someone said... :lol:

Then my parents came for a visit and Dad signed me up again. He said it's in exchange for me looking after Mom (ALZ) whenever he needs a caretaker vacation, so cool, I have D*.

As entertaining as this thread has been, some of you are needlessly arguing over things that aren't either/or, yaknow.

Both *evil megacorps* can be out to screw us over without necessarily being co-equal dicks in this negotiation set.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1727 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Viacom is really lucky I'm not involved in those negotiations.

My theory with regard to rate increases is quite simple.

DirecTV to Viacom. You want an additional 1 Billion dollars, no problem. Just write the contract to start in 2 years so that the savings from us not paying you for those two years equal the increase in price over the life of the contract.

Done, DirecTV gets to save the $1 billion ahead of when they have to start paying the increase. Viacom gets their price increase.

Everybody's happy! !Devil_lol

Yes! That would be an amazing strategy that would bring great joy to all involved. I mean, sure, the downside is that DirecTV would likely no longer exist. Because, you know, after two years as the sole provider without some of the most watched and popular basic cable channels in existence, a great many of their subscribers will have fled and new acquisitions would have dwindled to a trickle, sending profit percentages plunging into an abyss and making them ripe for, at best, a buyout, and, at worst, being sold off in parts. But, you know, other than being total corporate suicide, it's a really great plan.

Everyone who believes that DirecTV doesn't need Viacom is simply delusional. It's a parasitic relationship, neither can survive without the other but, at least in the near term, Viacom is more independently viable than DirecTV. If DirecTV doesn't have channels it has nothing to sell. It's like how if I'm running a bakery, I gotta get the eggs and butter from the store to make my wares. Now, long term, the grocer will go out of business if EVERYONE (not just my shop) stops buying his goods but, short term, without those eggs, I'm the one who has no cakes to sell. Who do you think goes out of business first?

Edited by susanandmark, 13 July 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#1728 OFFLINE   Montel

Montel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Probably already mentioned before - but how about a Viacom package:

For $3 per month you get all Viacom channels?

I would think that would be cool - sort of a back door to ala carte?

#1729 OFFLINE   kulps19

kulps19

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I decided to cancel my Sunday Ticket over this situation. I do love the NFL but I see my favorite team in their home market anyway so I figured I could save a couple bucks and express my displeasure with one of my favorite channels (comedy central) being off the air. The CSR agent told me of course they are coming back soon and let me cancel it. Kinda glad this situation occurred and i got to save a few bucks from it honestly.

#1730 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

maybe with epix being part of that.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1731 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

No way would they only Charge $3 for the Viacom suite. It would be more like 2-3$ per Viacom Channel.

Your not going to get Directv's rates or any other providers rates for that matter!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#1732 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yes! That would be an amazing strategy that would bring great joy to all involved. I mean, sure, the downside is that DirecTV would likely no longer exist. Because, you know, after two years as the sole provider without some of the most watched and popular basic cable channels in existence, a great many of their subscribers will have fled and new acquisitions would have dwindled to a trickle, sending profit percentages plunging into an abyss and making them ripe for, at best, a buyout, and, at worst, being sold off in parts. But, you know, other than being total corporate suicide, it's a really great plan.

You keep saying how popular all the Viacom channels are, and I suppose the ratings are high. But then with such high ratings, why are their ad rates so low? Maybe because the demo watching isn't buying enough of whatever the advertisers are selling? And of course, there has been a decline in viewership by quite a bit too.

So it isn't that Viacom isn't worth having, it is that it is a very devalued product and the advertisers have seen that and won't buy high priced ad space on their channels. And that tells me that Viacom doesn't deserve any rate increase at all. But give them some pittance increase as an act of charity might be in order... :)

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1733 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

No way would they only Charge $3 for the Viacom suite. It would be more like 2-3$ per Viacom Channel.

Your not going to get Directv's rates or any other providers rates for that matter!

I'm sure Viacom would like to get 2-3$ per Viacom channel, but I doubt they'd get many interested in any of those channels at that price.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1734 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Here is the Viacom MTV pack on C band:
http://skyvision.com.../index.html#mtv

Mini packs do exist and could on Direct too if they wanted it. The Viacom channels are working fine on my C band sub.

Edited by tvropro, 13 July 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#1735 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Sounds kind of high to me. I would not even pay 2-3$.

#1736 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Would be cool for us customers.

Not cool for Viacom: They want people to channel browse, en up on their channels, and thus watch their advertising.

Not cool for DirecTV: They make more money selling "Choice" type packages with a large amount of channels.

So.... not very likely to happen.

And as others have mentioned: You won't be paying the price Viacom wants, you will be paying the price viacom wants + the amount DirecTV needs to distribute the channel + the amount DirecTV wants as profit.

Seeing as their are many channels people don't want, for a-la-carte to be profitable in any way, you are probably looking at $0.50 per unpopular/hardly watched channel, $1 per average channel, and anywhere from $2 to $5 per popular channel.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1737 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

You keep saying how popular all the Viacom channels are, and I suppose the ratings are high. But then with such high ratings, why are their ad rates so low? Maybe because the demo watching isn't buying enough of whatever the advertisers are selling? And of course, there has been a decline in viewership by quite a bit too.

So it isn't that Viacom isn't worth having, it is that it is a very devalued product and the advertisers have seen that and won't buy high priced ad space on their channels. And that tells me that Viacom doesn't deserve any rate increase at all. But give them some pittance increase as an act of charity might be in order... :)

Ad revenue for television advertising across the board is down, sharply, in the past five years. In part due to the economy (companies are spending less on advertising) and in part due to the shift in how we watch television (DVRs). Traditional commercials now earn less. Period.

Also down over all? Pay TV subscriptions.

Both sides are trying to maintain profits on the back's of customers instead of rethinking and reworking their business models to something that works better with the current television watching reality. That is unsustainable, on all sides, long term.

Neither business model is dead, yet, but, just like newspapers and magazines, the ad-sponsored television model of the 1950s is most definitely in serious decline.

#1738 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Here is the Viacom MTV pack on C band:
http://skyvision.com.../index.html#mtv

Mini packs do exist and could on Direct too if they wanted it. The Viacom channels are working fine on my C band sub.

Yea you proved my point, its $10 per month for only some of the Viacom channels!

If you want the other's you have to buy another seperate pack!
I didn't see Spike in that line up either.

I would rather do without the Viacoms then have a 10 foot Dish in my back yard! Hows the channel surfing with that thing?:hurah::lol:

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#1739 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Well at least directv stepped up for the kids. According to Bloomberg Disney junior will be added to basic programming as a 24 hour channel tomorrow.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#1740 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Well at least directv stepped up for the kids. According to Bloomberg Disney junior will be added to basic programming as a 24 hour channel tomorrow.

Yep. Tomorrow.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#1741 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Honestly, I just found out late yesterday that those channels were off DTV. I hardly ever watch any of them. I hope all is settled soon anyway. If others like those channels, I would hope they become available again. However all channels and packages seem to be way overpriced these days.

#1742 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yea you proved my point, its $10 per month for only some of the Viacom channels!

If you want the other's you have to buy another seperate pack!

Yes it is done and can be done. Even in Canada on Shaw (there equivalent to DirecTV) You can buy mini packs of nitch channels over the basics.

Direct and Dish Network follow the US cable model, charge as much as they can and offer very limited options. :nono:

Edited to answer your other questions.

All the subscription channels you pay for on c band are on one satellite so surfing is the same as Direct. Then there are many other satellites with all kind of stuff up there for free. I don't have a 10 foot dish I have a 12 foot :)

#1743 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yes it is done and can be done. Even in Canada on Shaw (there equivalent to DirecTV) You can buy mini packs of nitch channels over the basics.

Direct and Dish Network follow the US cable model, charge as much as they can and offer very limited options. :nono:

OK sign me up.

I need something like or close to the HR34, plus HR23, and 2 H25s so I can do whole home DVR, and I want NFL sunday ticket and of course something close to the Premier pack!

VOD is a must, as well as the protection plan. And I need someone to install it for free.

Whats the Bill?

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#1744 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

latest statement from Directv VIA facebook :

No Drama, Let’s Deal: Viacom can’t get anyone to believe they’re not the ones responsible for cutting off DIRECTV customers’ channels Tuesday night, and then less than 12 hours later, denying everyone in America from getting their top hits for free online. Rather than listen, Viacom’s turning up the volume on a planned radio blitz across top US cities to interrupt everyone’s weekend. Moms and dads are already fed up with Viacom using SpongeBob and Dora to frighten their children. Viacom’s full-page newspaper ads featuring Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert talking about ‘people’s freedom’ fell completely flat when Viacom themselves shut down both TV and Internet access to those very same shows. Consumer protection and free speech advocate Public Knowledge decried their “overreaction as unprecedented.”

Rather than ramp up the propaganda in newspaper ads and radio spots, all we want is to get the channels back on air without an unfair increase to customer bills. We want to enable our customers to enjoy programming, not deny it, so we’ve added 8 new Encore services and opened up PBS Sprout, The Hub, TV One, Fuse and other programming to hopefully help offset some of the inconvenience this has caused.

Viacom just needs to grow up and stop with the misleading propaganda, no one is buying it, and focus their efforts at the negotiating table.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#1745 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

OK sign me up.

I need something like or close to the HR34, plus HR23, and 2 H25s so I can do whole home DVR, and I want NFL sunday ticket and of course something close to the Premier pack!

VOD is a must, as well as the protection plan. And I need someone to install it for free.

Whats the Bill?

C band is for the hobbyist that wants to do things himself. If you need the cable model, free install etc why you drink a cold one you need the small dish, cable or IPTV.

#1746 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Read what you posted Fraaaak. The OP asked if he could cancel without an early termination fee. The section of the TOS you just posted specifically says "a deactivation fee or other charges may apply"... i.e. early termination fees.

I am the OP

#1747 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

C band is for the hobbyist that wants to do things himself. If you need the cable model, free install etc why you drink a cold one you need the small dish, cable or IPTV.

Yea I know!:lol:

I have a Skyvision Catalog.;)

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#1748 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am so glad that I don't live at a neighbors house because she has 4 kids and they love SpongeBob. Wednesday Morning when they turn the channel to 299 it had the Kids Mix, they were mad at the channel not showing SpongeBob. They did not pay attention to the crawls and ads Tuesday at all just watching SpongeBob. The alternates they did not like Phineas and Ferb, etc. They tuned out of Phineas and Ferb 2 minutes in and wanted SpongeBob instead. Mom told them it is a money issue that the channel was not there. Mom called Direct TV and got a 5 dollar credit but the kids were still not happy as they could not watch SpongeBob. Mom said "Mommy can't fix the problem" and the kids got very upset. Mom did not have any DVD's or recordings in her DVR to fix the problem. All of her friends also have Direct TV and in the same boat as her. Yesterday, they still tune to the channel waiting for SpongeBob to come back but still the same options Phineas and Ferb, etc. The kids still were upset by this situation and began screaming SpongeBob now not later. The kids demanded her switch companies but she said it would cost too much to get out of her contract. She ordered some SpongeBob DVD's yesterday and chose the standard option but the kids wanted next day delivery but she could not afford next day delivery. Today, she had to leave her kids with one of her friends to go out for the day.

#1749 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

So how is trying to pay your bills with those working out?

Good, I have repeat long term customers. I also have a waiting list, can't keep up.

You need to remember word of mouth goes a very long way.

Last thing you want to do is piss off the customers.
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#1750 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

And none of them want directv to give Viacom a 30% increase because everything will go up across the board.

Everyone should be rooting for directv in this. Even you.

I dont know why you refuse to see context. The context here is that the the poster made a statement that said viacom has no leverage and can't withstand the loss of D* revenue for very long. And I'm refuting that by pointing out that they have revenue streams that previously didn't exist that enable them not only withstand that loss of revenue but also inflict some pain in turn on D*. The longer and more channels that go dark on the traditional video provider networks, the less reason people have to continue patronizing directv. Unlike D*, Viacom can distribute online to see out new audiences. Directv on the other hand will have trouble gaining back lost customers if their product is inferior.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...