Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   lola521

lola521

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

I believe they are both being untruthful. Someone mentioned blindsiding Dtv. When they must have know they're contract would be up with them tonight. And they also must know that the tickers on the specific Viacom stations is a typical tactic.

I am upset with this, only if the channels are taken off and my bill remains the same.

I only really like TVland and the others I very rarely watch.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Nope. But I have nephews, nieces, etc.... and I believe parenting has gone by the wayside. We rather put our kids in front of mind-numbing entertainment then letting them discover the world for themselves.

I had a TV with 5 channels when I grew up. I got to watch it maybe half an hour or so at night, and on Saturday morning.

And guess what, I turned out just fine. My parents played with me, taught me things, raised me to respect everyone, and let me explore the world on my own as much as they could.

This is totally off topic, but when I see a family in a restaurant where the kids are playing games on the iPad or some other electronic device, and both parents aren't even talking to each other but staring at their phones.... "pathetic" is the word that comes to mind.

We are so involved in our own minds we are forgetting to raise our children. And this is not directed at anyone in particular, as I do not know any of you personally, but I more and more get annoyed at parents using technology to "escape" from their children more and more and more. It has been proven that television at young ages actually does more harm then good. Children need other humans to interact with, not humans or cartoon characters locked up in a box.

TV is fine for an hour a day or so, but they'll get addicted to it if that is all you give them after school or after work. Parents should turn off their kids TV's after 1 hour and force them to read, build, construct, create, think, move.

I'm sure that many of you will accuse me of not knowing how it is to raise kids, and I don't know what I am talking about....but that is how I feel about current society and the way we deal with kids. Something just doesn't feel right, and kids just don't seem to be raised right any more. But maybe I am just getting old.

Anyways, too far off topic - back to Viacom's channels.

+1

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#143 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

I live in Southern California. I watch Angels and Ducks games in full 1080i HD on channels 692/693, and occasionally on KDOC56. And those are all I really care about as far major teams go. I watch LA Galaxy games on occasion as well, and every so often I turn in to the Dodgers or NHL Kings. I also like to watch the Tour de France early in the morning nowadays on 603 NBC Sports Network. I usually catch about 20-30 minutes after the news headlines on CNN before I head out to work. Additionally, I try to catch some international soccer - like UEFA - when I am near a TV at the right time, as the games are usually live in the mornings.

And again: Money is by far the only factor. I wake up in the morning, grab the remote, turn on CNN, make coffee.... The ease of doing that is worth money to me.

What also makes it worth it is - again and I repeat myself - is that sometimes.... its just great to flip channels to see what is on. I catch a lot of OLD shows that way that I had forgotten about (and might not be found online either way).

I know that for cut-the-corders, MONEY is everything, and every other aspect of a pay TV subscription is less important. For me, it is not. The ease of use, the quality of the HD picture, and the hassle that comes with guaranteeing more-or-less the same TV coverage by using 5+ different services that don't always work together very well.... is important for me. I don't want to have to get Roku's for all my TV's, not do I want to overload my internet connection with HD streams to 2 TV's. Having to pick and choose from Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, MLB/NHL/MLS, Hulu, and other services to get the shows I want, is just not worth it to me.

That said, I am not going to miss Viacom channels. The TVLand comedies is about all I would miss really, I only watch Spike every so often for some unintelligent, dumbed down entertainment such as cops chasing bad guys, big dudes repo-ing cars, stuff like that. And it is probably better for my intelligence that I stop watching those. :D :D (besides, the tow-type and cops-type reality shows can be found on TruTV and others as well)

So, I support DirecTV going black until they get to a reasonable price. I know the channels won't be gone forever, and I won't be crying if they are gone for a month or so.

Oh I pretty much agree with you. Very few channels would I care if they disappear. And even some of those, if the end result was the networks being brought back in pricing line (which would put every other one on notice too) then I'd be fine with that too. Spike for reruns occasionally of CSI NY is all I ever watch. I have MTV, VH1, BET, and Comedy Central I have blocked so if they disappeared forever I wouldn't care. However, I am not a fan of cable/sat providers complaining about holding down costs, dropping channels, and then raising the price of their service anyway. If, and I know it won't happen, but if in an alternate universe these channels left and were gone for months. The bill should in turn drop. Not only did you not agree to their increase, you are now not paying them at all.

FYI, on the parental front. My sons attitude changes when I let him watch cartoons now. I've seen it for years every time I've tried. So all the kids channels are blocked also and only rarely do I let him watch any of it.

#144 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

We have had discussions about how DirecTV gets signal from channels. Many saying that they only pull down what is on the birds, everyone getting them all at the same time from the same place. And yet, today, Viacom is running a banner for DirecTV that is not showing up on Fios. So, the source can dictate what they see somehow.

Yeah that is interesting.

I know most cable outlets (and Dish and DirecTV nationally) just have a bunch of large dishes sitting in their local market, and pick up either the east coast or the west coast feed (or both) for a certain channel from a commercial satellite, and they then distribute the channel. The Time Warner Cable plant in my city (which feeds about half of Orange County) has about 8 or so HUGE dishes sitting on their roof and parking area, presumably to receive feeds from all sorts of different satellites.

However, nowadays there are other ways of getting a signal from A to B, and Verizon is one of those providers that have a nationwide network, that virtually connects every well-sized town with each other, so it is much easier for them to use e.g. a fiber feed from the Viacom building to the closest Verizon plant.

Additionally, there might simply be a system in place that allows them to say.... display this banner only to those with decryption key xyz, where DirecTV has decryption key xyz.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#145 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I believe they are both being untruthful. Someone mentioned blindsiding Dtv. When they must have know they're contract would be up with them tonight. And they also must know that the tickers on the specific Viacom stations is a typical tactic.

I am upset with this, only if the channels are taken off and my bill remains the same.

I only really like TVland and the others I very rarely watch.

I think by blindsided, they mean that it was a private negotiation until Viacom started mudslinging without a warning about DirecTV with the crawl on the TV stations.

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#146 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I think by blindsided, they mean that it was a private negotiation until Viacom started mudslinging without a warning about DirecTV with the crawl on the TV stations.

And this seems to happen every time. DirecTV is perfectly content to keep negotiating, and the media companies start wetting the mud.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#147 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

That works for me. Additional suggestions welcome.

Assuming Viacom counts SD and HD as different:

DirecTV |Viacom
1 |2 BET
1 |1 Centric
1 |2 CMT
1 |2 Comedy Central
1 |1 Logo
1 |2 MTV
1 |1 MTV2
1 |1 MTV t3es
1 |3 Nick, NickW
0 |1 Nick at Nite (evening programming on Nick) ?
1 |1 Nick Jr
1 |1 Nick Toons
1 |1 Palladia
1 |2 Spike
1 |1 Teen Nick
1 |1 TV Land
1 |2 VH1
1 |1 VH1 Classic
17 |26 Total

Wow, we have all of those channels? Obviously, I don't watch any of those. My wife watches TV Land sometimes, but I would personally not care if they went dark. Having said that, I hope Viacom blinks, and allows D to keep those channels on the air while negotiations continue. I'm sure those channels are important to many viewers.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#148 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

I would be quite happy if they gave me BBC and TCM as compensation.

#149 OFFLINE   lola521

lola521

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Oh I see, thanks BaHitman

Edited by lola521, 10 July 2012 - 10:22 AM.
added posters name I was responding to.

#150 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

We have had discussions about how DirecTV gets signal from channels. Many saying that they only pull down what is on the birds, everyone getting them all at the same time from the same place. And yet, today, Viacom is running a banner for DirecTV that is not showing up on Fios. So, the source can dictate what they see somehow.

I wonder if it's some sort of sub-fed that is sent out with the transmission. And each provider (cable &sat) each have their own descrambler code and directvs causes the banner to stay intact. Kinda like the band stop filter concept

#151 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Probably in the minority here, but no one in my household of 5 watches a single show on any of the Viacom channels. Not gonna happen by I wish D* would drop them and give us BBCA HD.

Directv since 1996

#152 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I would be fine with losing all the Viacom channels if my bill was dropped accordingly. My contempt for Viacom went sky-high when I saw Spike adding 8 minutes of commercials to CSI shows in the afternoons, absolutely obscene. Futurama hasn't been as good since it's been on Comedy Central and anything good on Palladia is available on blu-ray anyway. The rest is garbage IMHO.

#153 OFFLINE   MrWindows

MrWindows

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Nobody but my daughter watches ANY of the Viacom channels in our household. I echo the call to let them drop and see how they like the lack of revenue. In the meantime, the collective IQ's of DirecTV households will increase by 30%, AND maybe we'll finally have enough bandwidth for BBC America HD!

Sony XBR-55HX920; KDL-55W900A; KDL-55NX810; KDL-46Z4100/B; KDL-32XBR9

Vizio E260MV; VM230XVT

HR34-700 (3TB WD NAS); HR23-700; HR21-700; HR21-100; H23-600 (x2); H21-200; H21-100

Western Digital DX4000 NAS w/Serviio (12TB RAID5)

#154 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

There are some (many) of us who watch programming on Viacom channels, so I personally don't want to see them dropped and don't really appreciate the "I don't watch those channels, so drop them" comments (said in that tone), but maybe that's just me.

I don't care whose fault it is, just fix this DirecTV and Viacom.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#155 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

corporate creed at work:bad_nono: give'em the axe:mad: 30% increase is to much to pay for mostly rerun channels :P

Well I just heard, The News Today
Seems Nick at Night, Has Gone away

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#156 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

There are some (many) of us who watch programming on Viacom channels, so I personally don't want to see them dropped and don't really appreciate the "I don't watch those channels, so drop them" comments (said in that tone), but maybe that's just me.

I don't care whose fault it is, just fix this DirecTV and Viacom.

I agree. These types of threads always degenerate into "I don't watch these channels because I am above them!" type of posts. Sometimes we even get someone grandstanding about "kids these days.." or "parents these days..."

The bottom line is that DirecTV needs Viacom and Viacom needs DirecTV. They will get a deal done at the 11th hour and everyone will win. After that this thread will die off and people will save their grandstanding for another day.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#157 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

DirecTV says they pay Viacom "Hundreds of Millions of Dollars a Year" for their progamming, already. Now they (Viacom) want a 30% increase that amounts to a "Billion Dollars More". What kind of math are using? Since when does 30% of hundreds of millions equal a billion ...

Could be that DIRECTV is referring a 30% yearly increase in fees over the length of the purposed contract will result in the ~$1 billion increase in payout to Viacom.

#158 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of upset parents if the lose the Nick stations.

Nick is a staple for just about every family. Until my daughter was about 10-11 it was on constantly. IIRC, Niclelodeon is in the top ten for cable channels.

The Country Music channels will probably also be an issue for some people.

This is gonna be an interesting fight.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#159 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I’ll miss spike for the car shows on weekends but no biggie. However if DTV is dropping 25 channels then my monthly $ better drop too!
HR20-700
HR21-700

#160 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

It's interesting to compare how DirectTV has handled this dispute, versus how Dish handled the AMC dispute:

1. DirectTV extended past the June 30 deadline without dropping channels, and apparently at least tried to keep negotiating over the 10 day extension. Dish dropped AMC at precisely midnight on the 30th. No extension. And that was after kicking AMC to the nether-region of channel 9610, right in the middle of "The Killing", with no notice.

2. DirectTV is publicly saying that they have offered Viacom a price increase. AMC says Dish has never made any financial offer, and Dish hasn't refuted that publicly.

3. DirectTV's CEO now has a video online where he personally tells his customers, "We will work this out, we always do". Whereas no one at Dish, including Charlie Ergen, made any commitment to his customers.

To me, that speaks volumes about which company actually cares about their customers. I have my DirectTV install set for Thursday morning, leaving Dish after 15+ years with them. The Viacom news at first concerned me, but after doing this bit of research, I'm not worried. I feel like I'm now going with a much better company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...