Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2051 OFFLINE   Bradman

Bradman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I know you understand, but some folks think broadcast is uncompressed.

Also, many stations are compressing(lowering bit-rate) the HD signal to add sub-channels.
The CBS affiliate in my area even down-rezzes the network feed to 720p to accommodate their CW broadcast.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2052 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

I watch Comedy central from time to time, but this isn't going to kill me nor the other people that watch the 5 receivers in my house. Really impressed with the way D is handling it's customer concerns with it though. I called this week for something totally unrelated and mentioned it to the csr as an aside. Even though I'm still in commitment for another year and they totally didn't have to, I was given $10 off x 12mo and my hbo will be free on this bill. Kudos to D*.

#2053 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

They say it's a "all or nothing deal" is it that DirecTV does not want to carry all the Viacom channels or does Viacom want to add G4 back into the deal?
Don't forget WHO owns Viacom; Comcast. Is there way to get back at DirecTV for not getting Sunday Ticket. Make DirecTV Sub's pay for there lost?

#2054 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

They say it's a "all or nothing deal" is it that DirecTV does not want to carry all the Viacom channels or does Viacom want to add G4 back into the deal?
Don't forget WHO owns Viacom; Comcast. Is there way to get back at DirecTV for not getting Sunday Ticket. Make DirecTV Sub's pay for there lost?

Viacom wants EPIX on directv
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2055 OFFLINE   richzilla

richzilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would love to have G4 back...I miss that channel.

#2056 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Nothing you said is inheritently wrong... I fully agree with the first and third paragraph, but I have to ask, how are you coming by the second sentence in your third paragraph?

Are you counting local channels?!
Non-English channels?
Obscure shopping channels?

I ask, because doing a glance of DirecTV's program guide set to ALL channels, I counted around 30 channels without HD feeds, and that was including the religious channels (some of whom I discounted due to HD feeds)... and that may even be on the high end after omitting the three categories mentioned above due to the fact that some of the religious channels may have an HD feed that I'm not aware of.

~Alan

I don't like using Wiki because I find it very bias, but that's all I have at my fingertips right now. Yes, I was talking all channels, but that does include "mainstream" as well as others. At this point, still more SD channels than HD. Eventually there will be a HD equivalent for all the SD and beyond that some day there will be no more SD channels, but for now there are still more SD channels available than HD. See below

http://en.wikipedia....vision_networks
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2057 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Heard the Viacom commercial several times today. Those buggers don't give up, and the commercial is so misleading, promoting that everyone should call DirecTV to demand their channels back. Yeah right, why don't you add to the commercial what the $ increase will be, and provide some objective justification for the increase related to ratings per channel and not based on the past. Think I've heard the commercial a dozen times so far.

#2058 OFFLINE   compaddict

compaddict

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

How about Viacom charge extra and lose the commercials? It bugs me that I pay DTV for watching TV riddled with commercials. Remember when AMC was commercial free? I hate paying twice!
I really do love the access to cable channels and don't mind the commercials. That being said, I think Viacom should pay DTV for the transport and distribution of their content.

#2059 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't like using Wiki because I find it very bias, but that's all I have at my fingertips right now. Yes, I was talking all channels, but that does include "mainstream" as well as others. At this point, still more SD channels than HD. Eventually there will be a HD equivalent for all the SD and beyond that some day there will be no more SD channels, but for now there are still more SD channels available than HD. See below

http://en.wikipedia....vision_networks

Yeah... the other problem with Wiki is that it's CAN be full of errors. I noticed several channels that said there was NO HD feed, yet there is.

I noticed that several of the religious channels that I counted last night due to not knowing their status has HD listed on that page. Of course, given the other errors on that page, goodness knows whether or not the information is correct...

I personally do not feel that a bunch of obscure channels' SD-only status is really all that indicative of a negative HD status. In fact, I think it's incredibly optimistic that so many of the recognizable names have HD feeds, and so small of an amount still exists without one. I credit DirecTV for being a big part of spurring this on.

That being said, I felt you stated your point well enough with the rest of your statements in your earlier post that it doesn't really matter.

~Alan

#2060 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think you're getting Viacom mixed up with Universal...

~Alan

#2061 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Also, many stations are compressing(lowering bit-rate) the HD signal to add sub-channels.
The CBS affiliate in my area even down-rezzes the network feed to 720p to accommodate their CW broadcast.

CRAP!!!

I REALLY hope that's not what my local CBS affiliate has plans to do when they add HD to their CW sub-channel.

On the plus side, I think DirecTV gets my local CBS via fiber, so hopefully it won't affect my PQ, but it'll suck if I'm wrong...

~Alan

#2062 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Viacom wants EPIX on directv

I am not against this if that is part of it directv needs to add epix.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#2063 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

CRAP!!!

I REALLY hope that's not what my local CBS affiliate has plans to do when they add HD to their CW sub-channel.

On the plus side, I think DirecTV gets my local CBS via fiber, so hopefully it won't affect my PQ, but it'll suck if I'm wrong...

~Alan

Even stations that feed DirecTV via fiber feed the exact same 19.2 Mbps MPEG2 ASI feed that they send to to their transmitter. So if they downrez the main channel, thats what DirecTV will also get. If they add subchannels, those get to fed to DirecTV as well, even though they are not used. They feed all providers the same ASI feed because local cable does run their subchannel programming.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 15 July 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#2064 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Programming costs going up double digits each year, can only pass on 4% to 5% increase in costs to subscribers. As a result, margins go down.

You obviously aren't looking at the right financials, the ones that are most important. People tend to look at revenues and get all happy slappy but they don't look at costs or operating margins which is what makes a business go. DTV's operating margins are decreasing, that is the number you should be focusing on. At least in the States, in Latin America they are growing like gangbusters but that comes at a huge cash outlay expense as well. The States are a different story, it is a mature business with costs increasing tremendously.

I am curious as to why you seem to pit DTV as the bad guy in all of this and you have done it consistently n your posts over the months and years. Both are culpable to a point, but as any distributor in any business can tell you, the source cost of the products they are selling is what makes them or breaks them. If costs are going up then that is a problem, a big problem since they own the relationship with the customer.

I don't pit them as a bad guy, just don't see them as the great hero and defender of our pocketbooks that they profess to be and that many here hold them up to be, that's all.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#2065 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

:confused::lol:
Comcast doesn't own Viacom.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#2066 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

As for your $75 10 years ago and now $200, kind of funny when the major force in driving that cost up has been programming costs. NFL 10 years ago cost DTV about $250 million a year. Now it's a billion a year. ESPN was about $1.50 a sub, now it's over $4.00 a sub.

EVERY study has shown that programming cost is between 25% - 33% of a providers total expense.

#2067 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm honestly amazed that there is no prominent link to the "DIRECTV Promise" page on the DIRECTV home page. You have to scroll down to the "About DIRECTV" section to find a simple bullet for "DIRECTV Viacom Dispute" which goes to the "promise" site.

DirectvPromise.com is in the description of all those -1 subchannels they added and if you tune to one of the missing channels and get the mix screen it also tells people to go to DirectvPromise.com. And I believe they did a mail message to all the receivers.

So that should pretty much cover getting the word out.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#2068 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Viacom is not owned by Comcast. Comcast is affiliated with NBC/Universal.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2069 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

CRAP!!!

~Alan

They will probably have to do something along those lines.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2070 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Programming costs going up double digits each year, can only pass on 4% to 5% increase in costs to subscribers. As a result, margins go down.

Programming costs DO NOT go up by double digits each year. DirecTV states that Viacom wants a 30% increase - and many in this thread have reported that is over 5 years - which averages down to WELL BELOW 6% per year after compounding is applied.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 15 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#2071 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Even stations that feed DirecTV via fiber feed the exact same 19.2 Mbps MPEG2 ASI feed that they send to to their transmitter. So if they downrez the main channel, thats what DirecTV will also get. If they add subchannels, those get to fed to DirecTV as well, even though they are not used. They feed all providers the same ASI feed because local cable does run their subchannel programming.

Well, I have a local station here, KDOC-56, that use to broadcast the main sub-channel OTA in 1080i, but recently switched to 720p so they could create bandwidth to add two additional SD sub-channels.

However DIRECTV still has it in 1080i.

#2072 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Imagine the bitching and moaning if DIRECTV paid the extra 30% Viacom is asking and in turn passed the increase on to it's customers.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#2073 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,091 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Imagine the bitching and moaning if DIRECTV paid the extra 30% Viacom is asking and in turn passed the increase on to it's customers.

They will anyway, in February.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2074 OFFLINE   d.glen

d.glen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Not really missing the channels, I hope DirecTV holds their ground!

#2075 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, you're talking about WKYT. Too bad the CW is a sub channel. In other markets the CW is in HD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...