Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#1681 OFFLINE   GreatPig

GreatPig

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

The point YOU'RE missing is that DirecTV will raise our rates as high as their extensive market research says consumers will bear (with an acceptable level of complaining and "churn") at the moment they announce it. They will do that regardless of this, or any other, negotiation. This negotiation is 98% about DirecTV's profit margins and 2% about the amount of those eventual, and inevitable, cost increases to customers.

All businesses are going to charge as much as the market will bear. That's Business 101 and it is why Viacom wants more. Both sides are doing the same thing. It is risk vs reward.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1682 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

The point you are missing is that if DirecTV agrees to pay Viacom 30% more (because after all, it is only 3 cents per subscriber per day), then when Disney, Hearst, Scripts, Discovery, Turner, Rainbow, Comcast, NBC Universal, et. al. all come up for renewal, they are also going to want at least a 30% increase, because that is what DirecTV gave to Viacom.

If it was only Viacom, you are correct, it is only $10.96 per year per subscriber, but when all of the other providers contracts end, it will end up being 30% of the total bill. Only if DiercTV can keep each individual contract to a 3% to 5% increase, would it be reasonable to expect that your bill will only go up by 3% to 5%.

Exactly. Susan doesn't quite realize how these kinds of negotiations affect the market. DirecTV will renegotiate with Discovery Networks at the end of the year, and there is a good chance (I can't find anything definite on this, but based on a 2003 dispute) that Disney signed a 10 year contract that is due 2013.... and with those two behemots coming up, you know they are watching this closely.

And indeed, if they start demanding 30%, and DirecTV pays a 30% increase of fees to Viacom, Discovery Networks (which is also about 15 channels) and Disney (who owns another 15 or so), we are starting to talk about a big chunk of channels costing 30% more. And 30% is just a number, there have been a few locals asking for 300, and 600% increases.

If DirecTV just rolls over and pays every time a carriage dispute comes along, I would estimate our bills would be about 50% higher than they are now.

We all know they are going to pay a higher price than before. But I would much rather DirecTV take the channels offline for a month and get that number down to 15% more instead of 30% more. Comparing the salaries and bonuses of DirecTV and Viacom it becomes clear to me that Viacom just wants to stuff their CEO's pockets, and while the DirecTV CEO makes a pretty penny at about 6 million a year, he is well below many other CEO's, and not receiving bonuses to the extreme. So any extra money saved here will not go to Mike White buying an island somewhere, but will actually flow back in to the company, which means better technologies, more research, more channels going to HD eventually, and POTENTIALLY not as high of an increase of the price next year. Either way, it is a LOT better for us than just simply rolling over and succumb to media company demands.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1683 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

The point YOU'RE missing is that DirecTV will raise our rates as high as their extensive market research says consumers will bear (with an acceptable level of complaining and "churn") at the moment they announce it. They will do that regardless of this, or any other, negotiation. This negotiation is 98% about DirecTV's profit margins and 2% about the amount of those eventual, and inevitable, cost increases to customers.

There is more than raising rates. As I said, it has become pretty clear by now that any more profit that DirecTV makes isn't lining the pockets of its CEO like it does with Viacom, so even though DirecTV might raise the rates as high as their market research will say the customers can handle, saving more money on contracts like these means that there is more money to go around to develop new technologies, offer customers better retention deals, offer customers cheaper equipment, upgrade HD/encryption/encoding technology, etc, etc.

In the end.... regardless of the standard raise of pricing come February, a lower negotiated price is going to be better for us customers.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1684 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

It's all about money. D* could just absorb or partially absorb the price increase, after all they've been very profitable and this isn't going to ruin them by any means. Then it wouldn't affect your bill at all.

But D*'s not going to do that. They'll raise their price regardless of the settlement. And the price increase will be whatever the new agreement is with another 20% on top of that. And they'll blame it *ALL* on Viacom. Viacom may have the majority of the dirty tricks so far, but D* has yet to play their dirtiest trick.

You are correct that DirecTV is not going to absorb the cost. They cannot do that. If they were privately owned, they might be able to absorb the cost, but unfortunately, the primary responsibility of the board of directors of a publicly held company (i.e., a company that issues stock) is to the shareholder - not to the customer. The only leverage the customer has is that at some price point, enough customers will leave that it will adversly affect the shareholder. Until it reaches that point, no publicly held company is going to absorb any cost.

#1685 OFFLINE   vobguy

vobguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

My favorite thing is how Viacom has gotten the actors on their channels to use their own Twitter feeds to tweet about how Directv is wrong and they want their show back. Plus I think they are paying other "stars" to tweet about it.
Khloe Kasdansians (sp?) tweeted how expensive Directv was and she wanted all her channels she pays for. I bet she couldnt even tell you how much her Directv bill is per month.

:lol::lol: (bolded for emphasis)

#1686 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Interesting article

http://www.forbes.co...rtner=yahoofeed

I, for one, hopes that D* doesn't cave in. Why? Because caving continues to set a bad precedent and D* still has expensive infrastructure to pay off and if the net bill to customers gets too high then they will leave and further cut the number of subscribers that help pay for that infrastructure. The same argument goes for that other DBS provider.

Edited by john18, 13 July 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#1687 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Got this from Reuters news. Scroll down to the section called The Conversation.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#1688 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

The future is direct IP access to content (either free or subscription) and it is only the providers standing in the way of that. The sooner they are driven out of the picture, the better off we consumers will be.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#1689 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Exactly. Susan doesn't quite realize how these kinds of negotiations affect the market. DirecTV will renegotiate with Discovery Networks at the end of the year, and there is a good chance (I can't find anything definite on this, but based on a 2003 dispute) that Disney signed a 10 year contract that is due 2013.... and with those two behemots coming up, you know they are watching this closely.

And indeed, if they start demanding 30%, and DirecTV pays a 30% increase of fees to Viacom, Discovery Networks (which is also about 15 channels) and Disney (who owns another 15 or so), we are starting to talk about a big chunk of channels costing 30% more. And 30% is just a number, there have been a few locals asking for 300, and 600% increases.

If DirecTV just rolls over and pays every time a carriage dispute comes along, I would estimate our bills would be about 50% higher than they are now.

The bills wouldn't be 50% higher. You didn't understand part of it. People are only going to pay so much for their cable bill, then they're going to start cutting services and channels. Neither party wants that. There's a cap as to how much D* and Viacom can charge.

D* gives feedback to the content providers as to how much people will pay for their channels. This feedback is tainted with built-in profit for D*, so Viacom doesn't believe the numbers that D* gives them. So there is a game to find out what the numbers really are.

Also, each content provider wants to charge as much as possible. They don't care how much the other guys get. They know the pie is only so big, but they want the biggest slice for themselves.

I think in the past the pie could get bigger, but in the past two years we've reached that point where people are starting to cut services to keep their bills down. The pie cannot get bigger anymore. I expect most contract negotiations to look like this in the future.

As far as "holding out", nothing is preventing them from coming up with a short term solution while a long term deal is reached. But greed is making both sides use their customers/viewers as leverage in their negotiations. Between pulling the channels, those silly advertising stunts on both sides, and the numbers spin on both sides, people are feeling used and abused. And they don't like it.

#1690 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Haven't looked if this was posted yet (my connection is slow so I'm lucky to get this post done).

This is the latest from DTV on their Facebook page:

HD?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1691 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

People don't mind paying for cable channels that they watch. I would pay $2.00 a month for TCM alone. It is just constantly being forced to pay for channels that we never watch. And that for the most part is Viacom. This never ending gimmick of "bundling" the lousy channels with the good ones and making us pay for the whole mess of them is getting tiresome. I would put ESPN in that category too, but I think there would be a civil war if ESPN was cut off. Viacom just doesn't have that kind of leverage, as they are starting to realize.

#1692 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

ESPN is not a subsidiary of ABC, or visa versa, Disney owns both.

You're correct!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1693 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Viacom then tells Directv to jam it. Then what?

People have no idea how carriage contracts work. :nono2:

True, I don't have that level of insight, closest I ever came was my company was owned by the same parent company who owned TWC up till a few years back.

That said there is the simple fact that Viacom just lost HOW MANY eyes watching commercials on their networks? And just how much does that devalue that commercial airtime and their networks? Are they willing to write that off forever? I highly doubt that. Every minute they are off air with D* is another minute that their commercials become immediately less valuable and over the long haul hurts them as a advertising entity.

#1694 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

True, I don't have that level of insight, closest I ever came was my company was owned by the same parent company who owned TWC up till a few years back.

That said there is the simple fact that Viacom just lost HOW MANY eyes watching commercials on their networks? And just how much does that devalue that commercial airtime and their networks? Are they willing to write that off forever? I highly doubt that. Every minute they are off air with D* is another minute that their commercials become immediately less valuable and over the long haul hurts them as a advertising entity.

There are two sides to that coin - Directv just lost HOW MANY channels that everyone else offers and still charges HOW MUCH more than other providers? How long do people continue to pay more for less?

#1695 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

The future is direct IP access to content (either free or subscription) and it is only the providers standing in the way of that. The sooner they are driven out of the picture, the better off we consumers will be.

I think content over IP will be an additional service, to add on to existing television service, but won't replace it any time soon. For starters, 30% of the United States can't get more than about a 3 Mbps connection through DSL, and it doesn't look like there are much initiatives to change that. About 10% of the United States live so rural, it would cost a fortune to wire up those small towns for any type of decent internet connection.

You can't push a single HD stream through that, let alone turning on 2 or 3 TV's in your house. Those people will always have a satellite service of some sort. Right now DirecTV has 20 million customers, Dish about 14 Million. Given the average of 2.1 persons per household, one could conclude that about 70 million Americans receive their television through a satellite dish, either because they choose to (which is most) or because they have no other alternative.

I don't believe this is going to change.

What I do believe will happen is that DirecTV and Dish at some point (and I do believe Dish already does something along these lines with some form of international channel package) will ADD IPTV services to their boxes, for those that have a capable internet connection. This way, DirecTV could actually deliver sub channels to each market, international (news) channels, independent channels, internet-only channels, etc, etc.... and place them on a channel number on your receiver, where it will just tune in to a internet supplied stream when you hit that channel instead of a satellite feed.

I, for one, would be quite happy with a selection of international news channels (e.g. BBC, Al Jazeera, RT, etc, etc) provided via IP, so they show up on my receivers without having to use a separate device to tune in to them.

I believe that DirecTV and Dish will transform in to a hybrid service. With the upcoming 4kHD technology, for which DirecTV says they will be ready, and first Quad/Ultra/4k (however you want to call it) HD services launching around 2016, IPTV is going to have a bit of a harder time, as for a clear 4kHD picture, CURRENTLY a 160 Mbps connection is required, but with advances in encoding/compression, they can probably knock that down to about 40-50 Mbps, which is not the type of connection most Americans will have, not in 2016, not even in 2020. (Of course the internet connection might be there, but will it be able to deliver more than 1 stream? And it will certainly not be there for everyone in the U.S.) So there is future in satellites for quite some time. But DirecTV will probably at some point start to offer IPTV services over the internet as a "add on" package, for channels not worth carrying on satellites.

We'll see how this develops.

I am the Stig.

#1696 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

There are two sides to that coin - Directv just lost HOW MANY channels that everyone else offers and still charges HOW MUCH more than other providers? How long do people continue to pay more for less?

Well lets face it my original suggestion is very self serving, I would rather see my bill go down than Viacom back ;)

#1697 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

People don't mind paying for cable channels that they watch. I would pay $2.00 a month for TCM alone. It is just constantly being forced to pay for channels that we never watch. And that for the most part is Viacom. This never ending gimmick of "bundling" the lousy channels with the good ones and making us pay for the whole mess of them is getting tiresome. I would put ESPN in that category too, but I think there would be a civil war if ESPN was cut off. Viacom just doesn't have that kind of leverage, as they are starting to realize.

Viacom has more leverage than you realize. They used to just get their revenue from advertisers and distrubuters. Now - they have amazon, netflix, hulu, itunes, etc in addition to advertiser and distributers. They're not as much in need of directv money as they once were. Meanwhile - directv still only has about 20MM customers from which to make money - customers which as of right now they charge the same money for less service to.

#1698 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Well lets face it my original suggestion is very self serving, I would rather see my bill go down than Viacom back ;)

You'll be waiting a long time. D* isn't going to lower your bill one way or another.

#1699 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I can't believe how much time I wasted posting in this thread (time suck extraordinare), I should have just copied this and replaced the name "Tribune" with "Viacom," same childish ploy, different month.

http://www.dbstalk.c...076#post2988076

#1700 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Obviously if the cost per subscriber to keep Viacom went up by $10.96 per annum, we would see a rate increase at the beginning of 2013 of no less than $10.96...just to break even on the cost of continuing the existing content. If you factor in other increases in DirecTV's CODB I would guess a $15 hike would be a more realistinc expectation.

With the wailing and gnashing of the teeth that goes on around here when we get the normal $3 annual increase I can only imagine the pandemic apoplexy that would accompany a $15 rate increase. Armageddon would ensue.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

spam firewall