Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#1741 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Honestly, I just found out late yesterday that those channels were off DTV. I hardly ever watch any of them. I hope all is settled soon anyway. If others like those channels, I would hope they become available again. However all channels and packages seem to be way overpriced these days.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1742 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yea you proved my point, its $10 per month for only some of the Viacom channels!

If you want the other's you have to buy another seperate pack!

Yes it is done and can be done. Even in Canada on Shaw (there equivalent to DirecTV) You can buy mini packs of nitch channels over the basics.

Direct and Dish Network follow the US cable model, charge as much as they can and offer very limited options. :nono:

Edited to answer your other questions.

All the subscription channels you pay for on c band are on one satellite so surfing is the same as Direct. Then there are many other satellites with all kind of stuff up there for free. I don't have a 10 foot dish I have a 12 foot :)

#1743 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yes it is done and can be done. Even in Canada on Shaw (there equivalent to DirecTV) You can buy mini packs of nitch channels over the basics.

Direct and Dish Network follow the US cable model, charge as much as they can and offer very limited options. :nono:

OK sign me up.

I need something like or close to the HR34, plus HR23, and 2 H25s so I can do whole home DVR, and I want NFL sunday ticket and of course something close to the Premier pack!

VOD is a must, as well as the protection plan. And I need someone to install it for free.

Whats the Bill?

#1744 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

latest statement from Directv VIA facebook :

No Drama, Let’s Deal: Viacom can’t get anyone to believe they’re not the ones responsible for cutting off DIRECTV customers’ channels Tuesday night, and then less than 12 hours later, denying everyone in America from getting their top hits for free online. Rather than listen, Viacom’s turning up the volume on a planned radio blitz across top US cities to interrupt everyone’s weekend. Moms and dads are already fed up with Viacom using SpongeBob and Dora to frighten their children. Viacom’s full-page newspaper ads featuring Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert talking about ‘people’s freedom’ fell completely flat when Viacom themselves shut down both TV and Internet access to those very same shows. Consumer protection and free speech advocate Public Knowledge decried their “overreaction as unprecedented.”

Rather than ramp up the propaganda in newspaper ads and radio spots, all we want is to get the channels back on air without an unfair increase to customer bills. We want to enable our customers to enjoy programming, not deny it, so we’ve added 8 new Encore services and opened up PBS Sprout, The Hub, TV One, Fuse and other programming to hopefully help offset some of the inconvenience this has caused.

Viacom just needs to grow up and stop with the misleading propaganda, no one is buying it, and focus their efforts at the negotiating table.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#1745 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

OK sign me up.

I need something like or close to the HR34, plus HR23, and 2 H25s so I can do whole home DVR, and I want NFL sunday ticket and of course something close to the Premier pack!

VOD is a must, as well as the protection plan. And I need someone to install it for free.

Whats the Bill?

C band is for the hobbyist that wants to do things himself. If you need the cable model, free install etc why you drink a cold one you need the small dish, cable or IPTV.

#1746 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Read what you posted Fraaaak. The OP asked if he could cancel without an early termination fee. The section of the TOS you just posted specifically says "a deactivation fee or other charges may apply"... i.e. early termination fees.

I am the OP

#1747 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

C band is for the hobbyist that wants to do things himself. If you need the cable model, free install etc why you drink a cold one you need the small dish, cable or IPTV.

Yea I know!:lol:

I have a Skyvision Catalog.;)

#1748 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am so glad that I don't live at a neighbors house because she has 4 kids and they love SpongeBob. Wednesday Morning when they turn the channel to 299 it had the Kids Mix, they were mad at the channel not showing SpongeBob. They did not pay attention to the crawls and ads Tuesday at all just watching SpongeBob. The alternates they did not like Phineas and Ferb, etc. They tuned out of Phineas and Ferb 2 minutes in and wanted SpongeBob instead. Mom told them it is a money issue that the channel was not there. Mom called Direct TV and got a 5 dollar credit but the kids were still not happy as they could not watch SpongeBob. Mom said "Mommy can't fix the problem" and the kids got very upset. Mom did not have any DVD's or recordings in her DVR to fix the problem. All of her friends also have Direct TV and in the same boat as her. Yesterday, they still tune to the channel waiting for SpongeBob to come back but still the same options Phineas and Ferb, etc. The kids still were upset by this situation and began screaming SpongeBob now not later. The kids demanded her switch companies but she said it would cost too much to get out of her contract. She ordered some SpongeBob DVD's yesterday and chose the standard option but the kids wanted next day delivery but she could not afford next day delivery. Today, she had to leave her kids with one of her friends to go out for the day.

#1749 OFFLINE   bcrab

bcrab

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

So how is trying to pay your bills with those working out?

Good, I have repeat long term customers. I also have a waiting list, can't keep up.

You need to remember word of mouth goes a very long way.

Last thing you want to do is piss off the customers.
HR22-100
HR20-100
HR20-700
AM-21

SWM-8
Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V665
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Samsung PN63B550

#1750 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

And none of them want directv to give Viacom a 30% increase because everything will go up across the board.

Everyone should be rooting for directv in this. Even you.

I dont know why you refuse to see context. The context here is that the the poster made a statement that said viacom has no leverage and can't withstand the loss of D* revenue for very long. And I'm refuting that by pointing out that they have revenue streams that previously didn't exist that enable them not only withstand that loss of revenue but also inflict some pain in turn on D*. The longer and more channels that go dark on the traditional video provider networks, the less reason people have to continue patronizing directv. Unlike D*, Viacom can distribute online to see out new audiences. Directv on the other hand will have trouble gaining back lost customers if their product is inferior.

#1751 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Just so you know, this forum has a lot more to offer than tulanejosh. In other threads we work problems and provide information that helps DTV find and resolve software bugs. The number of posts in not a badge of honor, it is the quality of your comments we care about.

t* has been whining ever since he lost Jersey Shore-worse than my kids. I just don't spend that much of my life depending on DTV to take it that personnally.

They have a problem with VIACOM, I don't really care about VIACOMs channels, and I would rather see a decent price from VIACOM since they are in my package whether I want them or not. More power to DTV in this battle.

I can tell he is probably the king of trolls around here, I just pointed out the number of posts in such a manner because I found it ridiculous that he try and use my number of posts to somehow belittle or demean me. So that was just my way of throwing it back his way, and helping him keep a running count. :)

#1752 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

I am so glad that I don't live at a neighbors house because she has 4 kids and they love SpongeBob. Wednesday Morning when they turn the channel to 299 it had the Kids Mix, they were mad at the channel not showing SpongeBob. They did not pay attention to the crawls and ads Tuesday at all just watching SpongeBob. The alternates they did not like Phineas and Ferb, etc. They tuned out of Phineas and Ferb 2 minutes in and wanted SpongeBob instead. Mom told them it is a money issue that the channel was not there. Mom called Direct TV and got a 5 dollar credit but the kids were still not happy as they could not watch SpongeBob. Mom said "Mommy can't fix the problem" and the kids got very upset. Mom did not have any DVD's or recordings in her DVR to fix the problem. All of her friends also have Direct TV and in the same boat as her. Yesterday, they still tune to the channel waiting for SpongeBob to come back but still the same options Phineas and Ferb, etc. The kids still were upset by this situation and began screaming SpongeBob now not later. The kids demanded her switch companies but she said it would cost too much to get out of her contract. She ordered some SpongeBob DVD's yesterday and chose the standard option but the kids wanted next day delivery but she could not afford next day delivery. Today, she had to leave her kids with one of her friends to go out for the day.

So, what you are saying is the kids run that household. Ok. Mines 7 and doesn't. He is happy as can be playing in his room right now.

#1753 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

That if we, as customers, actually stood up for ourselves and stopped buying into the corporate PR spin and accepting such egregious treatment, it would stop. Not because corporations are evil, or good (or people, for that matter), but because they will do what's best for their bottom line. So, if we make these stupid lose-lose situations bad for their profit margin, they'll learn to play nice with one another and stop using customers as pawns.

So how exactly do you propose we stand up to D* and Viacom in such away that it affects both of them equally, and leaves customers with a positive outcome on the other side of said action?

#1754 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I can tell he is probably the king of trolls around here, I just pointed out the number of posts in such a manner because I found it ridiculous that he try and use my number of posts to somehow belittle or demean me. So that was just my way of throwing it back his way, and helping him keep a running count. :)

I didn't even see what post you are talking about that you through back my way. Im far from the king of trolls. I just refuse to blindly accept that directv is doing me any favors. That tweaks some people for whatever reason, and they all want to be bmoc's behind anoymous screennames. That said - I've never said Viacom was right, that we should accept a fee increase, that their channels are good/bad, that the programming on them is crap/great or that anyone is stupid for liking/not liking. I'm going to defend my view point, and will not back down when attacked. I'm sorry if you that offends you, I've got nothing against you personally. I felt you attacked me, I pointed out your small number of posts as a veiled attempt to say "hey man, you're new here, don't treat me like a rube on the street corner, ive been posting on this forum for 5 years and know a thing or two". I'll admit the stars swipe was a low blow. You caught me in a frustrated moment.

#1755 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Nope, that typical response is given whenever someone wants to talk about getting a discount.

If DTV cares about its customers it could just lower its profits and not pass increases on to us.

But you know that wont happen. Because DTV isn't fighting for you, just like Viacom isn't ethier. They both want fatter bottom lines.

Think beyond the pricing when you talk about D* lowering its own profits to absorb the large increase. They will have less money to bring in new technology, less money to afford the rights for new programming, less money to hire employees (decreased customer service when you have an issue). Less profits will also hurt the company's stock, which will also compound these issues.

#1756 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Funny, coming from a guy who looks at posting in forums as some kind of game. Life comprehension. Furthermore, you complain about people not living in the real word, and then demand for things to happen that just don't occur in realty, i.e. D* coming out with a commercial starring The Rock that goes something like this....

Dwayne Johnson : So Tulanejosh, do you think we care about you? *brief silence* IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK JABRONI!!!!!

Now that I think about it, that would be kind of awesome. You're on to something there!!

Oh and thank you for counting my posts for me I lost count. See you trolling around these forums for the foreseeable future.

P.S. - I now have 4 posts Padawan :)

That's kinda funny. I'll admit that.

But let's make sure you understand truly what i am saying. I dont want them to care - or rather, i don't care that they don't. I'm good with that. I just want them to stop pretending that that do. Viacom is a scuzzy company, but they are honest with me about their intentions. They'd like for me to watching their channels, but its going to cost me (or in this case - Directv). Does that mean i agree with what they say? Certainly not. Does it mean that directv should bend over? Never said that either. I'm merely pointing out to people that somehow want to personalize this and represent directv as their personal advocate that their allegiance is misguided.

Also with the real world comments - you gotta go back a lot of pages, but i was responding to someone else that made a comment about the real world. I hate that phrase personally. Real is subjective.

Edited by tulanejosh, 13 July 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#1757 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

In the end, throwing around numbers like "30% percent increase" and "a billion dollars" and "subsidizing the 80% who don't watch Viacom at all" is simply misleading B.S.

Would DirecTV gain as much traction with the general public saying, "Viacom wants us to pay them about 80 cents more per month per subscriber, which amounts to about $10/year for you?" Doubtful. While some people may very well fight to the death over that $10 year over year, most would be more in the "you took away my channels for that?!?" camp. (And, for the record, I firmly believe that DirecTV AND Viacom are equally complicit in the removal of those channels.)

Heck, when DirecTV does their annual increase--and they will, regardless of economy, inflation and how these negations go--I guarantee it will be a lot more than $1/month per customer. And the general consensus here will undoubtably be that it's very, very fair and that DirecTV had no choice. No one is going to bite at an inflammatory headline that says "DirecTV demands their customers pay $1 billion more A MONTH for same product!!!" Even if you can do the math (20 million customers with an average increase of $5/month) to make that argument.

If you can throw out anyone's statistics to help your argument, you should not be able to claim your are the authority on what the "majority will think" (ex. While some people may very well fight to the death over that $10 year over year, most would be more in the "you took away my channels for that?!?" camp.). This is the same as using a made up stat.

And not to disparage anyone's math but 20 million x 5 = 100 million a month, we are missing a zero in there to make up that [sic] $1 billion more A MONTH for same product!!!". A theoretical $50 increase across all customers would be a game changer.

#1758 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Her kids will be better off for it.

http://well.blogs.ny...d-for-children/

#1759 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Well at least directv stepped up for the kids. According to Bloomberg Disney junior will be added to basic programming as a 24 hour channel tomorrow.

Yup, channel 289. That should help out some of the parents who lost Nick.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1760 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

If you can throw out anyone's statistics to help your argument, you should not be able to claim your are the authority on what the "majority will think" (ex. While some people may very well fight to the death over that $10 year over year, most would be more in the "you took away my channels for that?!?" camp.). This is the same as using a made up stat.

And not to disparage anyone's math but 20 million x 5 = 100 million a month, we are missing a zero in there to make up that [sic] $1 billion more A MONTH for same product!!!". A theoretical $50 increase across all customers would be a game changer.

you got that wrong - it's $1B more over the life of a 5 year agreement, so approximately $200M more per year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...