Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(NEW) DECA connecting and disconnecting at random

whole home

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I've had this SWiM and DECA system since April but it's been unused because my account was self suspended (long story). Nevertheless I brought the service back on today and noticed my receivers keep connecting and disconnecting from the DECA cloud. I'll try to access a playlist for say my R22 with my HR24 and it will say all of the sudden it's not connected. Then maybe I'll try and watch something and it will stop and say it was disconnected. I checked the DECA broadband adapter and the DECA modules. Green across the board. All receivers (HR24, 2 R22s and a HR21) show they are connected to the net. I was even downloading from DOD (DirecTV on Demand) and the connection dropped then reconnected. I'm not sure what's going on. Never had this issue prior to DECA when I had the WH running via Ethernet. Ideas?
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'm guessing the RF signal part of the coax network is fine, as you're getting green LEDs.
This suggests there are problems with the packets being sent.
One question is where is the PI?
If it's too close to say the HR24, it's been known to give this type of problem.

http://www.dbstalk.c...53&d=1285094774
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

I'm guessing the RF signal part of the coax network is fine, as you're getting green LEDs.
This suggests there are problems with the packets being sent.
One question is where is the PI?
If it's too close to say the HR24, it's been known to give this type of problem.

http://www.dbstalk.c...53&d=1285094774

Thank you VOS for replying. You are a legend so I know Im in good hands

Are you referring to the Internet/Ethernet bridge, or the PI for the SWiM?

PI is in my basement. Far away from the receivers. At least in coax terms.

Bridge is next to the HR24. But as with the PI is far away from the splitter/SWiM multi switch.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Well darn, it doesn't sound like the PI location will be it.
Now we need to look other places.

Might as well verify the coax networking isn't reporting any problems.

On the HR24, if you run a system test it will report a error if there is low throughput, so it's worth checking.

Another thing would be to run the detailed coax networking tests, by pressing the guide & right arrow on the front panel of the 24. This can take a few tries before you get into it and see a screen with coax on the left.
When there select coax and it will show all of the DECA nodes and the loss to each.
At the bottom will show the number of dropped sessions.
Next is the Phy rate Mesh, which shows a matrix of the rates between all the nodes.

Posting the results will show any problems.

If there aren't any, then I'd start thinking the router may be having some affect, so disconnecting the CCK to the router and then rebooting all of the receivers so they change over to their internal IP addresses [169.xx], would be my next step. Running in this state should show if it's still on the DirecTV side, or not.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Well darn, it doesn't sound like the PI location will be it.
Now we need to look other places.

Might as well verify the coax networking isn't reporting any problems.

On the HR24, if you run a system test it will report a error if there is low throughput, so it's worth checking.

Another thing would be to run the detailed coax networking tests, by pressing the guide & right arrow on the front panel of the 24. This can take a few tries before you get into it and see a screen with coax on the left.
When there select coax and it will show all of the DECA nodes and the loss to each.
At the bottom will show the number of dropped sessions.
Next is the Phy rate Mesh, which shows a matrix of the rates between all the nodes.

Posting the results will show any problems.

If there aren't any, then I'd start thinking the router may be having some affect, so disconnecting the CCK to the router and then rebooting all of the receivers so they change over to their internal IP addresses [169.xx], would be my next step. Running in this state should show if it's still on the DirecTV side, or not.

From the Diag screen for Coax

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• ForumRunner_20120710_110022.png
  • ForumRunner_20120710_110043.png

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

yep, so this isn't a DECA/coax networking problem.
Those screens show everything is working fine.

Now on to if the router is having an affect and time to remove it from the coax network and test the network without it, by seeing if the problem continues.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

yep, so this isn't a DECA/coax networking problem.
Those screens show everything is working fine.

Now on to if the router is having an affect and time to remove it from the coax network and test the network without it, by seeing if the problem continues.

OK do I just unplug the Ethernet adapter? Also will the DECA still work without it. Should the boxes still beable to see each other even if the router is to blame?

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

OK do I just unplug the Ethernet adapter? Also will the DECA still work without it. Should the boxes still beable to see each other even if the router is to blame?

You can simply pull the ethernet connection to your router.
Then reboot each receiver for each to change to their internal IP address.
Once they all find each other, you can start testing if the playback is OK or not.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

You can simply pull the ethernet connection to your router.
Then reboot each receiver for each to change to their internal IP address.
Once they all find each other, you can start testing if the playback is OK or not.

will they still find their own ip address if they're running on static ip addresses? We be better to have the receivers on DHCP or static?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

will they still find their own ip address if they're running on static ip addresses? We be better to have the receivers on DHCP or static?

If you've gone "static" that's another wrinkle that needs to be reset.
Before going to no router, reset each receiver's network defaults, or they can't change over to their internal IP without a router.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

If you've gone "static" that's another wrinkle that needs to be reset.
Before going to no router, reset each receiver's network defaults, or they can't change over to their internal IP without a router.

I reset each networked receiver to network defaults. Seems to work OK. I'll leave them on Dynamic.

#12 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Im having this same issue to with a Wired BB DECA the nomad and iPad app is having trouble seeing my receivers suddenly I've rebooted a bunch of times and tried static (DHCP reservations) and just dynamic and reset a bunch and I'm still having issues.

I have SWM16 with 2-green label 8-way splitters. Is there anything wrong with my COAX network stats?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0458.jpg
  • IMG_0461.jpg
  • IMG_0462.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Im having this same issue to with a Wired BB DECA the nomad and iPad app is having trouble seeing my receivers suddenly I've rebooted a bunch of times and tried static (DHCP reservations) and just dynamic and reset a bunch and I'm still having issues.

I have SWM16 with 2-green label 8-way splitters. Is there anything wrong with my COAX network stats?

Your coax networking shots look fine.
The losses in the second photo are a bit high [still within range] and I only count eight devices, so two 8-ways might be better if they were 4-ways, but this isn't your problem.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Your coax networking shots look fine.
The losses in the second photo are a bit high [still within range] and I only count eight devices, so two 8-ways might be better if they were 4-ways, but this isn't your problem.

Thanks a bunch. Do you have an idea why they might be high? And why isone listed as n/a because it's the receiver I'm at?

3 receivers are on one 8way the other 4 on the other 8 way they all have the medal caps on the, though the unused

Edited by Rtm, 10 July 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thanks a bunch. Do you have an idea why they might be high? And why is one listed as n/a because it's the receiver I'm at?

3 receivers are on one 8way the other 4 on the other 8 way they all have the medal caps on the, though the unused

The N/A is because a receiver can't measure the loss to itself.

Loss is the nature of sending RF signals, so managing it is what's needed.

"All those metal caps" are terminations used for ports that don't have receivers. These have a resistor to match the impedance and end up sending the RF signals into the resistor instead of having it go to a receiver where "you" get some use out of it.
Using splitters than aren't as large, means you have less loss and don't need to terminate as many unused ports. [all unused still need to be, but there are simply less].
The SWiM-16 also has more loss in its crossover path between the two outputs.
In your tests, I saw a 40 dB loss path, which is still below the 45 dB limit than starts to cause network problems.
Your network wouldn't work any better with only 30 dB of loss, so the point is you're still within range, but aren't as flexible to making changes before you do reach the limit.
"Also" the larger splitters affect the SAT signals too and this might cause rainfade slightly earlier than with less loss.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

The N/A is because a receiver can't measure the loss to itself.

Loss is the nature of sending RF signals, so managing it is what's needed.

"All those metal caps" are terminations used for ports that don't have receivers. These have a resistor to match the impedance and end up sending the RF signals into the resistor instead of having it go to a receiver where "you" get some use out of it.
Using splitters than aren't as large, means you have less loss and don't need to terminate as many unused ports. [all unused still need to be, but there are simply less].
The SWiM-16 also has more loss in its crossover path between the two outputs.
In your tests, I saw a 40 dB loss path, which is still below the 45 dB limit than starts to cause network problems.
Your network wouldn't work any better with only 30 dB of loss, so the point is you're still within range, but aren't as flexible to making changes before you do reach the limit.
"Also" the larger splitters affect the SAT signals too and this might cause rainfade slightly earlier than with less loss.

K thanks I decided to order 2 MSPLIT4R1-03 so hopefully it will help some minor issues I've been having. Idk why I would have such bad stats on all rg-6 besides the runs might be a little long. But all 7 receivers plus the bb deca = 8

#17 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

To jump back in here. Would it help for sync and internet linking if the receivers or router go out, to change to Static IP again? I've read that if the receivers start up without the router linked then the receivers will switch to internalized IP addresses even after the router is online.

#18 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

To jump back in here. Would it help for sync and internet linking if the receivers or router go out, to change to Static IP again? I've read that if the receivers start up without the router linked then the receivers will switch to internalized IP addresses even after the router is online.

You shouldn't have static Ip address try just dynamic, no address reservation/static then unplug your bb deca and restart your router leaving the broadband deca unplugged, then plug it back in, now go push the red button on each receiver and you shouldn't have a problem anymore. Something is really weird with mine right now

What kind of router are you using might I ask?

Tonight mine all gained an up after I plugged my broadband deca back After i had reset them all and they had 168.254 or whatever u
Ips

#19 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

You shouldn't have static Ip address try just dynamic, no address reservation/static then unplug your bb deca and restart your router leaving the broadband deca unplugged, then plug it back in, now go push the red button on each receiver and you shouldn't have a problem anymore. Something is really weird with mine right now

What kind of router are you using might I ask?

Tonight mine all gained an up after I plugged my broadband deca back After i had reset them all and they had 168.254 or whatever u
Ips

I have a Linksys WRT150N. With DD-WRT Custom firmware. :)

#20 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I have a Linksys WRT150N. With DD-WRT Custom firmware. :)

Apple Time Capsule here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home

Protected By... spam firewall...And...