Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(NEW) DECA connecting and disconnecting at random

whole home

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

This is going to be long so apologizes but wanted to get the whole saga out there!

We have had Whole Home for over 2 years now. Two weeks ago one of our boxes suddenly started having issues "communicating with dish." It would happen, reset and then be ok. After calling and talking to Tech support twice they set up for someone to come out since the tests showed dish out of alignment. This was only happening on one of the DVRs.

The tech came out Monday of last week. He did several things and we wonder whether it was all needed or not. This included realignment, changed multiswitch in attic, changed connectors, and changed the splitter in the room with the DVR that was having issues (we have 2 boxes in that room hooked up to 2 TVs). Upon putting everything back up the DVR in the Master bedroom was not on the network. He fixed this, things seemed good and he left after about 2.5 hours. This would be the start of 2 weeks of problems!

Later that day we started having all sorts of WH problems with the BR DVR. We would be watching something from it in another room and the BR DVR would drop off the network. DVR in that room was fine when we went to check and would come back. I called back and they came out the next day.

Next day they replaced the Deca in the BR. Said that if it continued they wanted to replace the DVR which I didn't want because there is a lot on it. This measure later in the day/night caused different DVRs to start dropping off while watching recordings.

Next day they put a splitter in (as in above posts) at the PI. At the time things looked ok, but the living room (where the initial problem was) and my son's room on HD channels had horrible reception (pixels, etc) and my son's room couldn't use the WH at all.

Next day out again, splitter out, wanted to start replacing boxes (I didn't thin was an issue since individually all worked fine and recordings played fine) and talked about a 16 multiswitch, although we only use 8 tuners and things were fine until the original service call. Tech said he would get his supervisor on phone and then left while I walked inside to make a call. No return phone call.

Next day, I called again and they set up a new apt for Monday of this week. This tech put a new cinema (name?) on the coax going to the router taking out the old Deca in there (this Tech and his supervisor accompanying him made it clear they did not like Decas). As for my son's room, they replaced his box (just HD, no DVR) with a new one, again to dispose of the Deca in there). Things looked good again until the next day.

The kitchen DVR started having some signal issues, however, until last night (3 days later) the WH seemed good until the same things started happening (i.e. watching something recorded in a different room and messages keep popping up that boxes drop off). The Tech was suppose to come out yesterday but keep putting me off til later until I finally at 6 p.m. told him to wait til today.

Last night my husband pulled up the network coax info as in an above post and all looked fine. And IP addresses looked fine too.

So here is our setup:
HD DVR (HR 22) in Master bedroom
HD DVR (HR 24) in kitchen
HD DVR (HR 22) in Living Room and a standard box in the living room on a separate TV.
HD (H24) in son's room.

Any ideas anyone?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

This is going to be long so apologizes but wanted to get the whole saga out there!

So here is our setup:
HD DVR (HR 22) in Master bedroom
HD DVR (HR 24) in kitchen
HD DVR (HR 22) in Living Room and a standard box in the living room on a separate TV.
HD (H24) in son's room.

Any ideas anyone?

Being a visual type, it would sure help to get "a picture" of your system.
You need five posts before you can post one here.

I see two problems:
The SAT signals.
The DECA networking.

You have a H24 & HR24, which means you can test the DECA with each.

On the front panel, pressing the guide & right arrow [both at the same time] will bring up a menu with coax on the left. This menu may take a few tries before it comes up the first time, so keep trying.

When the menu comes up, select coax and it will test and show the loss between receivers/DECAs.

Running this test from both 24s and posting what the screens show would help.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1319572165
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Being a visual type, it would sure help to get "a picture" of your system.
You need five posts before you can post one here.

I see two problems:
The SAT signals.
The DECA networking.

You have a H24 & HR24, which means you can test the DECA with each.

On the front panel, pressing the guide & right arrow [both at the same time] will bring up a menu with coax on the left. This menu may take a few tries before it comes up the first time, so keep trying.

When the menu comes up, select coax and it will test and show the loss between receivers/DECAs.

Running this test from both 24s and posting what the screens show would help.

Since you said I can't post an actual picture I can just tell you the values I guess.

On HR24 the Phy Levels are -24, N/A (assume this is this box) -25, -23, -22.

On H24 -24, -25, n/a, -26, -29

Edited by KarenRichmond, 03 August 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Since you said I can't post an actual picture I can just tell you the values I guess.

On HR24 the Phy Levels are -24, N/A (assume this is this box) -25, -23, -22.

On H24 -24, -25, n/a, -26, -29

Keep it up and you'll have the five posts needed. :lol:

Those show the losses between your receivers are well within range.

In a way this doesn't help, as it doesn't show the problem.

Your techs not liking DECA suggests they don't understand it well.

Did you happen to look at the "dropped sessions" count at the bottom of the screens?
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, it said 0.

Yes, I am closing in on 5 :)

#26 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

One addition to visit 1 by a Tech...he also replaced the LNB saying that perhaps it was causing issues due to the 100+ degree temps for the last several weeks. And again, my husband was home that day as well and we still believe he did more work than needed to fix the initial problem.

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Yes, it said 0.

Yes, I am closing in on 5 :)

So the zero count shows the RF signal of the DECA hasn't lost connection.

This means when the receiver says it's lost connection, it's a networking issue, but not the DECAs themselves.

Now we're needing to look at "packets" not responding.

You have a power inserter for the SWiM, which should be a black box.

Where is it located and what's connected [if anything] to it?
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

So the zero count shows the RF signal of the DECA hasn't lost connection.

This means when the receiver says it's lost connection, it's a networking issue, but not the DECAs themselves.

Now we're needing to look at "packets" not responding.

You have a power inserter for the SWiM, which should be a black box.

Where is it located and what's connected [if anything] to it?

It is in the Master Bedroom. From wall to PI then to the box in that room. They tried putting a splitter in there on day 3 and it caused the Living Room and my son's room to have horrible signal, pixels breaking up and like pauses. It came out.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

It is in the Master Bedroom. From wall to PI then to the box in that room. They tried putting a splitter in there on day 3 and it caused the Living Room and my son's room to have horrible signal, pixels breaking up and like pauses. It came out.

So they were following a bulletin that came out for things like this.
It doesn't exactly fit with your problem "unless" it's the MB DVR dropping off line.

Now what is VERY STRANGE is that shouldn't have caused problems with the other receivers.
Too much loss could cause signal issues, but it would be with the MB receiver, and not the others.

You're at 5 posts now, so even a crappy sketch would help.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

So they were following a bulletin that came out for things like this.
It doesn't exactly fit with your problem "unless" it's the MB DVR dropping off line.

Now what is VERY STRANGE is that shouldn't have caused problems with the other receivers.
Too much loss could cause signal issues, but it would be with the MB receiver, and not the others.

You're at 5 posts now, so even a crappy sketch would help.

At first it was just the MB one dropping but then after they touched it again, it started being all of them.

Not sure what you want me to sketch.

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

At first it was just the MB one dropping but then after they touched it again, it started being all of them.

Not sure what you want me to sketch.

This thread has some setups that give a good picture: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200573
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

This thread has some setups that give a good picture: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200573

How's this.

PI - Deca - MR HD DVR
\
\
Dish - SWiM 8 - Kitchen HD DVR (no Deca)
\
\ --Deca - Living Room HD DVR --Flatscreen TV
-- SD box - separate TV in Living Room

\ son's room HD (no Deca, no DVR)

\cable to Cinema (name?) to router (This was a Deca that was replaced in this saga with the "new" box)

What may not be clear is the Living Room, there is a splitter and it goes to Deca- HD-HD TV and off splitter to SD to small TV for extra football game viewing. Also every time I save this message it left justifies everything. I can try to make a better sketch

Edited by KarenRichmond, 03 August 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

How's this.

PI - Deca - MR HD DVR
\
\
Dish - SWiM 8 - Kitchen HD DVR (no Deca)
\
\ --Deca - Living Room HD DVR --Flatscreen TV
-- SD box - separate TV in Living Room

\ son's room HD (no Deca, no DVR)

\cable to Cinema (name?) to router (This was a Deca that was replaced in this saga with the "new" box)

What may not be clear is the Living Room, there is a splitter and it goes to Deca- HD-HD TV and off splitter to SD to small TV for extra football game viewing. Also every time I save this message it left justifies everything. I can try to make a better sketch

"Yeah" the forum software always does that.

Are you sure you have a SWM8?
Do you have four coax from the dish to it?
If only one, then it's an 8-way splitter and the SWiM is in/at the dish.
"Son's room" has a H24, so the DECA is internal.
Living room has a 2-way splitter, that should have a green label.
The "SD Box" should have a bandstop filter [red with a pigtail to the receiver].

The PI -> DECA -> MR DVR should only cause a problem [if it is] with recordings from the MR DVR to other receivers.
The kitchen from living room shouldn't be affected.

"cable to Cinema" [cinema connection kit, aka CCK, BB DECA, goes by many]
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Here's a better picture

Items with * have just been replaced to attempt to fix the problem

Attached Thumbnails

• directv_layout.jpg

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks that does help.

I have asked a few question just before this.
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

"Yeah" the forum software always does that.

Are you sure you have a SWM8?
Do you have four coax from the dish to it?
If only one, then it's an 8-way splitter and the SWiM is in/at the dish.
"Son's room" has a H24, so the DECA is internal.
Living room has a 2-way splitter, that should have a green label.
The "SD Box" should have a bandstop filter [red with a pigtail to the receiver].

The PI -> DECA -> MR DVR should only cause a problem [if it is] with recordings from the MR DVR to other receivers.
The kitchen from living room shouldn't be affected.

"cable to Cinema" [cinema connection kit, aka CCK, BB DECA, goes by many]

I believe SWiM is at dish. yes to the red with pigtail to SD box
and, yes, things shouldn't be affected but they are. Each time they "fix" something it causes a new issue.

Everything worked fine for 2 years until they came out for the original problem and I still think he did more than needed and caused this mess

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

So I'm seeing:

directv_layout.png
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Everything worked fine for 2 years until they came out for the original problem and I still think he did more than needed and caused this mess

If I come out because you can't program the remote to your new tv, I have to start at the dish and bring everything up to current specs. It's what Directv expects.

A DVR in single tunner mode really bugs some techs. You might want to check that.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,654 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

I believe SWiM is at dish. yes to the red with pigtail to SD box
and, yes, things shouldn't be affected but they are. Each time they "fix" something it causes a new issue.

If I come out because you can't program the remote to your new tv, I have to start at the dish and bring everything up to current specs. It's what Directv expects.

A DVR in single tunner mode really bugs some techs. You might want to check that.

The SWiM is fully loaded, with the max 8 tuners. Getting the R16 in dual tuner mode will require a SWiM-16. [might not be a bad idea]

When the tech added a splitter for the PI, and signal issues started, it must have been due to the PI not powering the SWiMLNB well enough.
The common PI is a 21 volt, but the other PI is 29 volt and might be worth a try.
Without being there to sort through everything it's hard to sort out this.
Troubleshooting the playback issues to between "x & y" would help, and this might take moving/swapping receivers around.
I doubt anyone wants to go into the attic and check if the cables are tight and the three unused ports on the splitter have terminations.
"Normally" DECA isn't bothered by open ports, but SAT signals are.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

I counted... I was just suggesting the tech might have changed it.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home

spam firewall