Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(NEW) DECA connecting and disconnecting at random

whole home

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

The SWiM is fully loaded, with the max 8 tuners. Getting the R16 in dual tuner mode will require a SWiM-16. [might not be a bad idea]

When the tech added a splitter for the PI, and signal issues started, it must have been due to the PI not powering the SWiMLNB well enough.
The common PI is a 21 volt, but the other PI is 29 volt and might be worth a try.
Without being there to sort through everything it's hard to sort out this.
Troubleshooting the playback issues to between "x & y" would help, and this might take moving/swapping receivers around.
I doubt anyone wants to go into the attic and check if the cables are tight and the three unused ports on the splitter have terminations.
"Normally" DECA isn't bothered by open ports, but SAT signals are.

I don't want the R16 in dual. I never use it except for the second football game on Sundays.

I checked the PI and it is 21 so I can throw the 29 volt one at them as an idea.

They did go through the attic at least once (day 1 for sure when he changed out the MSPLIT8R0-01 (he left the old one so I am looking at it) and changed the LNB on the dish. He said all connections were tight.

I am not sure what else at this point either. Not to mention the frustration factor!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,756 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

I don't want the R16 in dual. I never use it except for the second football game on Sundays.

I checked the PI and it is 21 so I can throw the 29 volt one at them as an idea.

They did go through the attic at least once (day 1 for sure when he changed out the MSPLIT8R0-01 (he left the old one so I am looking at it) and changed the LNB on the dish. He said all connections were tight.

I am not sure what else at this point either. Not to mention the frustration factor!

Which is what I wish I had more help for.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Just out of curiosity did anything else get added to your network around that time? There are settings in some modem/routers that only allow a certain amount, range, of IP addresses for DHCP. If you exceed this then it could cause things to drop off. However it usually would be more random than one specific device.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Just out of curiosity did anything else get added to your network around that time? There are settings in some modem/routers that only allow a certain amount, range, of IP addresses for DHCP. If you exceed this then it could cause things to drop off. However it usually would be more random than one specific device.

We tried that theory--unplug, reboot, etc, etc. That is supposedly why they changed the Deca on that coax going to the router to the "new" cinema thing.

#45 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

We tried that theory--unplug, reboot, etc, etc. That is supposedly why they changed the Deca on that coax going to the router to the "new" cinema thing.

None of that would impact your settings in your router. So did you add any new devices to your network including non DIRECTV devices?
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

[quote name='Shades228']None of that would impact your settings in your router. So did you add any new devices to your network including non DIRECTV devices?[/QUOTE

Disconnected the cinema switch coax from the wall. Going to see what this does for a few days. The Tech came over again this afternoon and basically was his only suggestion other than testing electrical outlets.

#47 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,756 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Disconnected the cinema switch coax from the wall. Going to see what this does for a few days. The Tech came over again this afternoon and basically was his only suggestion other than testing electrical outlets.

With it disconnected from the router, each receiver will need a reboot to shift to their internal IP addresses of 169.xxx
In this state, it's a "closed loop" and all on DirecTV to sort out.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

[quote name='KarenRichmond'][quote name='Shades228']None of that would impact your settings in your router. So did you add any new devices to your network including non DIRECTV devices?[/QUOTE

Disconnected the cinema switch coax from the wall. Going to see what this does for a few days. The Tech came over again this afternoon and basically was his only suggestion other than testing electrical outlets.[/quote]

He should have gotten your install up to code as well.

[quote name='veryoldschool']With it disconnected from the router, each receiver will need a reboot to shift to their internal IP addresses of 169.xxx
In this state, it's a "closed loop" and all on DirecTV to sort out.[/quote]

This is true and the fact that they're not updating it correctly makes me wonder about the products and quality of work done.

#49 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Are these the first gen white decas or the new 2nd gen black ones? If they are the 2nd gen, there is a problem with some of them where the pigtail isn't fully attached. What needs to be done on the black ones is that the shrink tubing near the deca itself needs to be cut and the fitting tightened.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#50 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

With it disconnected from the router, each receiver will need a reboot to shift to their internal IP addresses of 169.xxx
In this state, it's a "closed loop" and all on DirecTV to sort out.

Yes, did that and last night the WH seemed OK, but I want to see it work a few days without issue.

However, the new issue this week with the kitchen DVR happened again during the night so I am now assuming that is a truly new issue? or maybe still related to something from the Day 1 Tech.

#51 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Are these the first gen white decas or the new 2nd gen black ones? If they are the 2nd gen, there is a problem with some of them where the pigtail isn't fully attached. What needs to be done on the black ones is that the shrink tubing near the deca itself needs to be cut and the fitting tightened.

Originally the white ones. They replaced the BR one with a black one and the problem has occurred with both.

#52 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

If I come out because you can't program the remote to your new tv, I have to start at the dish and bring everything up to current specs. It's what Directv expects.

A DVR in single tunner mode really bugs some techs. You might want to check that.

Why does it "bug" them? and check what particularly?

#53 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

[quote name='Shades228'][quote name='KarenRichmond']

He should have gotten your install up to code as well.

This is true and the fact that they're not updating it correctly makes me wonder about the products and quality of work done.[/QUOTE]

I suggested yesterday when he came out again (also note that we have had different technicians several times but only the same one this week) that perhaps something was "bad" that was put in to "upgrade" and that idea was shrugged off.

#54 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

I suggested yesterday when he came out again (also note that we have had different technicians several times but only the same one this week) that perhaps something was "bad" that was put in to "upgrade" and that idea was shrugged off.

This whole thing has wandered all over the map. [not your problem]

There are a few things to sort out:

• Are all the receivers getting SAT signals and channels?
    • yes? then the techs are going to start drawing a blank.
    • No? then they need to sort out the problem and should be able to.
  • Playback problems.
    • From what we went through yesterday, it wasn't a DECA problem. The techs can only sort through those.
    • If it's a packet issue, the techs are limited as this is an area they haven't been taught. Changing the PI location/add a splitter is about all they've been given.
    • If it works in "closed loop", then the techs are off the hook and it points to your router.
    • If it doesn't work in "closed loop", then the best the tech is going to do is "shotgun" hardware swaps at it.

A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

No, they are not all getting this SAT issue. It appears it is only the kitchen one doing this and only since Tuesday.

As for the PI, they have tried the splitter and it caused issues in 2 other rooms of horrible picture quality. Upon taking it out, that immediately went away. What's involved in changing its location?

So far (less than 24 hours) the WH is working out taking the router out of the picture, but we did see it go a day or two this week (with the router in plya) and thought all was well and had it start again so jury is still out on that one.

#56 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Should the PI be centrally located in the house or in the room closest to the dish (right now it is in the MR and the dish is on the roof of that room)?

#57 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

So far (less than 24 hours) the WH is working out taking the router out of the picture, but we did see it go a day or two this week (with the router in play) and thought all was well and had it start again so jury is still out on that one.

Run it hard and long.
If it doesn't give you any problems, then go back to the router connection.
If it comes back, start sorting out the router problems. Reboots and factory reset [should have a recessed button, or the like] would be what I'd try. It's helped for me before and sometimes for others here.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Would you think the SAT issue on the one box is just a coincidence and not related to any of the past 2 weeks problems and be the box going out?

#59 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Would you think the SAT issue on the one box is just a coincidence and not related to any of the past 2 weeks problems and be the box going out?

Maybe I missed something here.
I though any SAT problems went away when they removed the PI splitter?
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Maybe I missed something here.
I though any SAT problems went away when they removed the PI splitter?

yes this has been such a crazy thing for the last 2 weeks, it is hard to keep up!

Taking out the splitter fixed the picture issues in 2 rooms that it had apparently caused last week, but Tuesday this week we started seeing intermittent SAT issues on the kitchen box, i.e. it would say searching for SAT 2 and then fix itself quickly but change the channel to VH1.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home

Protected By... spam firewall...And...