Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(NEW) DECA connecting and disconnecting at random

whole home

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

but Tuesday this week we started seeing intermittent SAT issues on the kitchen box, i.e. it would say searching for SAT 2 and then fix itself quickly but change the channel to VH1.

Is this still happening?
If so, look into the signal level menu, but look at the SWM page and check both tuners.
Post what it shows.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Is this still happening?
If so, look into the signal level menu, but look at the SWM page and check both tuners.
Post what it shows.

satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

Tuner 2
1-8 100 0 100 100 100 100 0 0
9-16 0 rest N/A

Tuner 1

1-8 98 0 10 98 99 99 0 0
9-16 0 rest N/A

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

Tuner 2
1-8 100 0 100 100 100 100 0 0
9-16 0 rest N/A

Tuner 1

1-8 98 0 100 98 99 99 0 0
9-16 0 rest N/A

Sure ^ wasn't what you meant?

1 is the guide channel common to all receivers.
2-9 are the program channels for each tuner.
The zeros come from these channels being used by other tuners currently.

It might be a pain, but can you set all the receivers on the signal screen?

If you do, then back in this receiver, you should have all the zeros disappear and get a good reading of all the channels.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Sure ^ wasn't what you meant?

1 is the guide channel common to all receivers.
2-9 are the program channels for each tuner.
The zeros come from these channels being used by other tuners currently.

It might be a pain, but can you set all the receivers on the signal screen?

If you do, then back in this receiver, you should have all the zeros disappear and get a good reading of all the channels.

Yes I left off the 0, sorry about that.

None of the other receivers were on when I ran that

#65 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yes I left off the 0, sorry about that.

None of the other receivers were on when I ran that

Yes I know, or could guess by the number of zeros.
Each time a receiver boots up, it acquires one or two channels for tuners. You need to either pull the power cord, or select the SAT level menu/screens to have it release the channels it's been assigned by the SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#66 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Yes I know, or could guess by the number of zeros.
Each time a receiver boots up, it acquires one or two channels for tuners. You need to either pull the power cord, or select the SAT level menu/screens to have it release the channels it's been assigned by the SWiM.

Although I am totally confused here ya go...

MR BR
tuner 1 100 100 100 100 99 100 100 100
100 N/A
tuner 2 100 100 100 100 99 100 100 100
100 N/A

Kitchen
tuner 1 98 99 98 99 97 98 98 100
100 N/A
100 N/A

Living Room
Tuner 1 100 100 100 100 99 100 100 100
100 N/A
100 N/A

Extra Living Room
100 100 100 99 98 100 100 100
99 N/A

Son's
100 98 98 100 98 99 100 100
100 N/A

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Although I am totally confused here ya go...

Kitchen
tuner 1 98 99 98 99 97 98 98 100
100 N/A
100 N/A

This is/was the one with problems, right?
What this is showing is the receiver and the SWiM aren't showing any problems with the feed.
So I'm back to asking if this receiver has had any problems with the SAT channels "since" the tech was out and swapped everything [after the PI "thing"]?
If so, then this receiver might have a problem, and swapping it might be the next step.
A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

This is/was the one with problems, right?
What this is showing is the receiver and the SWiM aren't showing any problems with the feed.
So I'm back to asking if this receiver has had any problems with the SAT channels "since" the tech was out and swapped everything [after the PI "thing"]?
If so, then this receiver might have a problem, and swapping it might be the next step.

Yes, it had no problems before he tried the switch at the PI or with the switch at the PI and it did not start having issues until this week. Now it intermittently freezes showing it is having a problem with SAT 2, fixes itself and then changes to VH1 from whatever channel I had on. Also if this happens during the night and I have something set to record early a.m. even though it says it is recording the right now it is recording whatever is on VH1. Simply changing the channel back and forth fixes that.

Ok..so if I have to change this receiver out, I have a lot recorded on it so is there anyway to dump it to an external drive or something?

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yes, it had no problems before he tried the switch at the PI or with the switch at the PI and it did not start having issues until this week. Now it intermittently freezes showing it is having a problem with SAT 2, fixes itself and then changes to VH1 from whatever channel I had on. Also if this happens during the night and I have something set to record early a.m. even though it says it is recording the right now it is recording whatever is on VH1. Simply changing the channel back and forth fixes that.

Ok..so if I have to change this receiver out, I have a lot recorded on it so is there anyway to dump it to an external drive or something?

VH1 is sort of strange.
You're stuck [screwed] over the recordings, so start watching them and move new recordings to be done on other DVRs.
All recordings are locked/coded to the hardware, so other than playing them while recording through the outputs to a DVD recorder, etc., there isn't much that you can do.

This receiver does sound like it's got a squirrel in it. When it records a program, and it ends up being the wrong program/channel, that's fairly hard to do.
If the SWiM/LNB is doing this, it will happen on more than one receiver.
If the receiver is doing this, it's either telling the SWiM to tune to the wrong channel, or VH1 is very close to the channel you wanted to record, and the receiver just mis-tuned.
To do this repeatedly suggests a hard failure, which might show an error in the diagnostic test. You can run this by pressing select, when it reboots and you see "running receiver self test". Press select and there's a guided test you can follow.
A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

VH1 is sort of strange.
You're stuck [screwed] over the recordings, so start watching them and move new recordings to be done on other DVRs.
All recordings are locked/coded to the hardware, so other than playing them while recording through the outputs to a DVD recorder, etc., there isn't much that you can do.

This receiver does sound like it's got a squirrel in it. When it records a program, and it ends up being the wrong program/channel, that's fairly hard to do.
If the SWiM/LNB is doing this, it will happen on more than one receiver.
If the receiver is doing this, it's either telling the SWiM to tune to the wrong channel, or VH1 is very close to the channel you wanted to record, and the receiver just mis-tuned.
To do this repeatedly suggests a hard failure, which might show an error in the diagnostic test. You can run this by pressing select, when it reboots and you see "running receiver self test". Press select and there's a guided test you can follow.

honestly they need to do whatever it takes to let you move your recordings when this happens.

VH1 wasn't even close in number, and actually strange as well because I was watching the channel prior to turning the receiver off that it would later record on.

So would this receiver messing up (i.e. suddenly needing to "find" SAT 2) have in any way this week (since this is when this new problem started) caused the WH to mess up? I'm thinking that these 2 things happening at the same time?

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

honestly they need to do whatever it takes to let you move your recordings when this happens.

VH1 wasn't even close in number, and actually strange as well because I was watching the channel prior to turning the receiver off that it would later record on.

So would this receiver messing up (i.e. suddenly needing to "find" SAT 2) have in any way this week (since this is when this new problem started) caused the WH to mess up? I'm thinking that these 2 things happening at the same time?

Channel number and what's next to each other on the SAT have nothing to do with each other.
This receiver may be having hardware problems that can cause almost anything to go awry.
This was sort of why we've been going down the paths we have. Is it the system with a problem or is it this box? Is there any signs of anything else, etc.?
Nomad is about the only other thing I can think of that lets you offload recordings to another device for playback later, but it still isn't a move to and move back to function.
A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I would have them install a SWM 16, run a dedicated line for the PI and setup the splitters appropriately before I swapped any receivers out. It's entirely possible that the receiver is still having an issue but this is why installs are setup in specific ways is to remove the "what ifs" that can happen in unapproved installations. If you've had a tech out this many times you should be able to deal with case management. Explain to them all of the things that have been done.

Everything you're describing can happen due to too many tuners on a SWM network and I know you said that the R16 is in single tuner mode but it's just too big of a coincidence to keep over looking.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would have them install a SWM 16, run a dedicated line for the PI and setup the splitters appropriately before I swapped any receivers out. It's entirely possible that the receiver is still having an issue but this is why installs are setup in specific ways is to remove the "what ifs" that can happen in unapproved installations. If you've had a tech out this many times you should be able to deal with case management. Explain to them all of the things that have been done.

Everything you're describing can happen due to too many tuners on a SWM network and I know you said that the R16 is in single tuner mode but it's just too big of a coincidence to keep over looking.

"BUT" none of this would address the no packets received problem.
If the SWiM were over loaded, there's a error code [776] that displays.
A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

"BUT" none of this would address the no packets received problem.
If the SWiM were over loaded, there's a error code that displays.

The no packets problem I think is due to the router and ip addresses. There is an error code that pops up on the dvr but if it's intermittent they may not be using the dvr when that happens.

Again it's not as likely but given all of the smaller items getting everything to spec would remove possibilities that could exist.

I don't disagree with your line of thought on the whole issue but I also don't want to ignore other possibilities that are easily, and should have, been resolved by now.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#75 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

I don't have a problem with the 16 being put in, however, it has just been very coincidental and odd that we had WH installed over 2 years ago, things just fine and then all of a sudden they come out to fix one box having an issue and change a lot of things at once and suddenly problems pop up, something done to "fix" one then causes an issue elsewhere.

I don't understand the dedicated line for the PI.

And as for the R16, a Tech a long long time ago set it as 1 tuner for fit in and as I said things fine for 2 years. Also we did verify that it is still set as 1 tuner.

The last thing I really want to do is lose the Kitchen DVR as it has a lot on it and it is the newer of all the DVRs as well.

#76 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

The no packets problem I think is due to the router and ip addresses. There is an error code that pops up on the dvr but if it's intermittent they may not be using the dvr when that happens.

Again it's not as likely but given all of the smaller items getting everything to spec would remove possibilities that could exist.

I don't disagree with your line of thought on the whole issue but I also don't want to ignore other possibilities that are easily, and should have, been resolved by now.

Until it's sorted out, everyone is "winging it", but you're suggesting a top to bottom rebuilt for what can be "one bad receiver".
I hate "shotgunning" to try to fix things, but sometimes that's all you've got left.

Since the DVR has recordings that don't want to be lost, setting it aside, installed another DVR and testing it in service to see if everything is fine or not, might be another option.
If there still are problems, then it wasn't the DVR. If they've gone, well it more than likely was.

If a DVR is not recording the right channel, then it has nothing to do with the router.
If it's not having recording problems, but playback issues, but only with the CCK connected, well it's the router.

Following a logical troubleshooting path to isolate the cause(s) should be followed "IMO" before you rip out the whole system, because one tuner isn't active and the customer doesn't care.

"But hey" that's me.
A.K.A VOS

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

then all of a sudden they come out to fix one box having an issue and change a lot of things at once and suddenly problems pop up, something done to "fix" one then causes an issue elsewhere.

"And what was this?"
A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't understand the dedicated line for the PI.

It might be a bit hard to understand, "but" the PI adds DC voltage to the coax, but also blocks it from the other side [or the receiver would go up in smoke]. This blocking component can cause the RF signals to get distorted a bit [or sometimes]. If the PI is too close to the SWiM, the SWiM can do weird things. If the PI is too close to the receiver, the DECA can do weird things, one of which is "no packets received".
A.K.A VOS

#79 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Until it's sorted out, everyone is "winging it", but you're suggesting a top to bottom rebuilt for what can be "one bad receiver".
I hate "shotgunning" to try to fix things, but sometimes that's all you've got left.

Since the DVR has recordings that don't want to be lost, setting it aside, installed another DVR and testing it in service to see if everything is fine or not, might be another option.
If there still are problems, then it wasn't the DVR. If they've gone, well it more than likely was.

If a DVR is not recording the right channel, then it has nothing to do with the router.
If it's not having recording problems, but playback issues, but only with the CCK connected, well it's the router.

Following a logical troubleshooting path to isolate the cause(s) should be followed "IMO" before you rip out the whole system, because one tuner isn't active and the customer doesn't care.

"But hey" that's me.

Basically right now...

The jury is still out on whether the router was causing WH issues. so far so good...

One receiver may be having issues and need to be replaced....

One old SD DVR is set to only 1 tuner because
1. we wanted to continue to have the extra old small non HD TV sitting in the living room for watching an extra game.
2. I had to pay a lot to have the 2nd DVR 4+ years ago when getting DirecTV so I chose to hang on to it for the area that did not need a HD box of any sort.

So...what benefits would come from Shades228's advice here?

#80 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

"And what was this?"

I guess see my original post about this yesterday for all details, but living Box would get 771a error intermittently and the test run by pressing info button showed error saying disk alignment. Tech came out and did much more and then things started happening.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home

spam firewall