Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(NEW) DECA connecting and disconnecting at random

whole home

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Basically right now...

The jury is still out on whether the router was causing WH issues. so far so good...

One receiver may be having issues and need to be replaced....

One old SD DVR is set to only 1 tuner because
1. we wanted to continue to have the extra old small non HD TV sitting in the living room for watching an extra game.
2. I had to pay a lot to have the 2nd DVR 4+ years ago when getting DirecTV so I chose to hang on to it for the area that did not need a HD box of any sort.

So...what benefits would come from Shades228's advice here?

The benefits would be:
Remove potential interference from the PI
Remove doubt as to whether the receivers were fighting over a SWM channel issue
Get your installation up to "code"
Allow you to have it setup so there is less overall "loss" to receivers by removing that 8 way.
Rule out everything else to isolate if it's a bad receiver before swapping it out.
Add second tuner capability to your R16 (I know it's not very important to you)
Also it would be needed in the future for any expansion.

I guess see my original post about this yesterday for all details, but living Box would get 771a error intermittently and the test run by pressing info button showed error saying disk alignment. Tech came out and did much more and then things started happening.

Which is another reason I think that they should have done this already. 771a is the receiver not seeing the SWM.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

I guess see my original post about this yesterday for all details, but living Box would get 771a error intermittently and the test run by pressing info button showed error saying disk alignment. Tech came out and did much more and then things started happening.

I did follow that "back then".
The tech replaced the LNB and most things down to the receiver. Sort of like what Shades228 was suggesting, though not the upgrade to -16.
Before this the kitchen DVR had ZERO problems????
A.K.A VOS

#83 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

The benefits would be:
Allow you to have it setup so there is less overall "loss" to receivers by removing that 8 way.
Rule out everything else to isolate if it's a bad receiver before swapping it out.

Which is another reason I think that they should have done this already. 771a is the receiver not seeing the SWM.

DECA loss measurements show "loss" isn't a problem.
The tech went end to end but didn't change to the -16, so the 771a was addresses along with the dish alignment error.
Now you're suggesting to repeat all of this to sort out some issues that may or may not have come from this work.
"so": We screwed it up, but if we come back and do it allover again, we won't screw it up?

I guess we're just looking at it from different points of view.

I think I know the desk you're behind [and you're a "good guy"] and I do know I'm looking at it from fixing things, which is a different viewpoint.
A.K.A VOS

#84 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I did follow that "back then".
The tech replaced the LNB and most things down to the receiver. Sort of like what Shades228 was suggesting, though not the upgrade to -16.
Before this the kitchen DVR had ZERO problems????

Yes, other than when WH screwed up throughout the house and actually the first WH problem was the BR falling off the network, not kitchen.

#85 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

The benefits would be:

yes, second tuner no issue whatsoever, will not every be used.

Expansion? well maybe only if I get to have that new box :) but not happening at that price.

And Living Room fixed after what he did but everything else started.

#86 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

The tech went end to end but didn't change to the -16, so the 771a was addresses along with the dish alignment error.
Now you're suggesting to repeat all of this to sort out some issues that may or may not have come from this work.
"so": We screwed it up, but if we come back and do it allover again, we won't screw it up?

I think I know the desk you're behind [and you're a "good guy"] and I do know I'm looking at it from fixing things, which is a different viewpoint.

I stopped looking at the network issue for now because it's working. The loss was about the regular signal strength just being optimized by removing an 8 way and using lower value splitters.

I'm saying that if it was setup properly to begin with it would be obvious if the receiver needs to be replaced. However since it's not it opens up other options. Since the other options could possibly fix it and not lose recordings then it should be done first.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#87 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

This is what I want to know...maybe one of you can answer it

Satellite installed (other than whole home line to router) 4-5 years ago.
Things fine. Whole Home installed just over 2 years ago. Again fine.

Error occurs with living room box (see first msg), things done, other issues start.

why? why would we suddenly need a 16? Why would the nonused tuner now be an issue?

#88 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Error occurs with living room box (see first msg), things done, other issues start.

why? why would we suddenly need a 16? Why would the nonused tuner now be an issue?

You don't need anything unless you replace that DVR and the issue persists. Then the only option left is to do that. Do you have to do it? Nope but there is only an upside to doing it.

In theory everything could work how it's been. In reality it's not and resolving it is the goal. If I were you I'd rather just have it done right and do everything possible before replacing a DVR which makes me lose recordings.

Everything I said to do, which really isn't much, could be for nothing and the DVR is still bad needing to be replaced. The main situation is if you're going through DIRECTV there's not a reason not to have it done.

#89 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I stopped looking at the network issue for now because it's working. The loss was about the regular signal strength just being optimized by removing an 8 way and using lower value splitters.

I'm saying that if it was setup properly to begin with it would be obvious if the receiver needs to be replaced. However since it's not it opens up other options. Since the other options could possibly fix it and not lose recordings then it should be done first.

Well the quick way to prove this is to unplug the "1 tuner DVR" and if the kitchen screws up again obviously that is not the problem.

Of course the network is only fixed because it is no longer in the router.

#90 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

You don't need anything unless you replace that DVR and the issue persists. Then the only option left is to do that. Do you have to do it? Nope but there is only an upside to doing it.

In theory everything could work how it's been. In reality it's not and resolving it is the goal. If I were you I'd rather just have it done right and do everything possible before replacing a DVR which makes me lose recordings.

Everything I said to do, which really isn't much, could be for nothing and the DVR is still bad needing to be replaced. The main situation is if you're going through DIRECTV there's not a reason not to have it done.

Ok so what's the chance that Day 1 he only needed to realign and that when he also did the LNB and connectors and the multiswitch that one of those new updated ones he put in is the real culprit?

#91 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

"Why" is what I'm trying to narrow down Karen.
I've been doing things like this since before many were in diapers here.
I've been fairly good at figuring out where someone screwed up and been able to follow the changes/paths that explain/cause these problems.
The LR DVR had 771a & alignment errors first right?
The LNB swap and dish alignment addressed this.
The tech [doing a good job] went further and changed the splitter and maybe some connectors there.
HERE is where the DECA/WH signals were passing through, so after this work, you seem to have problems.
Not sure if anyone has got back to the splitter and checked/verified the work there.
Now the MR DVR had a DECA swapped, but this might really go back to the splitter and a problem there. [chasing one's tail]
Now it got worse as the kitchen DVR has problems. Still SAT issues, or are they in the past?
DECA is working or not without the router connection?

I'd hoped the DECA test would have shown a problem that would point back to the splitter, but it didn't, but that still doesn't mean it's OK, just that it doesn't show up as one in the test.

The PI and extra splitter also cause problems, that it shouldn't have, so that too might point back to the splitter.

"If I was there", I would have been in the attic long ago checking things out at the splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#92 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Ok so what's the chance that Day 1 he only needed to realign and that when he also did the LNB and connectors and the multiswitch that one of those new updated ones he put in is the real culprit?

that's a splitter as the SWiM system with it in the LNB doesn't have any multiswitches.

I've already said what should be checked at the splitter too.
A.K.A VOS

#93 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

"Why" is what I'm trying to narrow down Karen.
I've been doing things like this since before many were in diapers here.
I've been fairly good at figuring out where someone screwed up and been able to follow the changes/paths that explain/cause these problems.
The LR DVR had 771a & alignment errors first right?
The LNB swap and dish alignment addressed this.
The tech [doing a good job] went further and changed the splitter and maybe some connectors there.
HERE is where the DECA/WH signals were passing through, so after this work, you seem to have problems.
Not sure if anyone has got back to the splitter and checked/verified the work there.
Now the MR DVR had a DECA swapped, but this might really go back to the splitter and a problem there. [chasing one's tail]
Now it got worse as the kitchen DVR has problems. Still SAT issues, or are they in the past?
DECA is working or not without the router connection?

I'd hoped the DECA test would have shown a problem that would point back to the splitter, but it didn't, but that still doesn't mean it's OK, just that it doesn't show up as one in the test.

The PI and extra splitter also cause problems, that it shouldn't have, so that too might point back to the splitter.

"If I was there", I would have been in the attic long ago checking things out at the splitter.

Ok..lets see..

Kitchen had had no signal issues.
WH working without router in picture so far--24 hour mark now (worked before first Tech came out with router)
BR got new Deca because I refused to jump to it being the box immediately. It has no signal issues now or before.

Tech yesterday did check that connections in attic were tight but everyone refuses to believe that something put in "new" can possibly be "bad"

#94 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok..lets see..

Kitchen had had no signal issues.
WH working without router in picture so far--24 hour mark now (worked before first Tech came out with router)
BR got new Deca because I refused to jump to it being the box immediately. It has no signal issues now or before.

Tech yesterday did check that connections in attic were tight but everyone refuses to believe that something put in "new" can possibly be "bad"

While a splitter might be defective, it's rare.
Much more likely are the connectors/cables to it.
Tight still doesn't mean a good connection.
"S.O.P." is to do a visual inspection of the mating area before connecting. A speck of dirt or other "crud" can cause all sorts of problems. "RF" is funny this way.

The BR receiver never was the problem, and the DECA may not have been either.
A.K.A VOS

#95 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

that's a splitter as the SWiM system with it in the LNB doesn't have any multiswitches.

I've already said what should be checked at the splitter too.

I have the one he took out 2 weeks ago that says MSPLIT8R0-01 and I had thought he referred to it as multisplitter, but whatever as long as you know what I'm talking about! :)

#96 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have the one he took out 2 weeks ago that says MSPLIT8R0-01 and I had thought he referred to it as multisplitter, but whatever as long as you know what I'm talking about! :)

I do and know them very well. They aren't anything but some traces on a board, with some resistors, caps, and a few inductors. "If they're soldiered" they work. There is nothing in there that can be "intermittent".
The signals passing though it is what's "in common" to just about everything you've had problems with since the tech worked on it.
A.K.A VOS

#97 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

I do and know them very well. They aren't anything but some traces on a board, with some resistors, caps, and a few inductors. "If they're soldiered" they work. There is nothing in there that can be "intermittent".
The signals passing though it is what's "in common" to just about everything you've had problems with since the tech worked on it.

sooooo...perhaps they should switch it ???

#98 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

sooooo...perhaps they should switch it ???

They should at least look at it and swap it if they can't see any other issue up there.
Not sure how "handy" you are, but if you have the old one, "I might" go up and inspect the connectors, and swap in the old splitter in "just for grins".
The Whole Home/DECA signals, can be so sensitive that I can make big changes to them with a 4" change in coax length, "but" I really hope you issues aren't needing this level of tweaking.
A.K.A VOS

#99 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

They should at least look at it and swap it if they can't see any other issue up there.
Not sure how "handy" you are, but if you have the old one, "I might" go up and inspect the connectors, and swap in the old splitter in "just for grins".
The Whole Home/DECA signals, can be so sensitive that I can make big changes to them with a 4" change in coax length, "but" I really hope you issues aren't needing this level of tweaking.

Oh I am thinking about it....:)

#100 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

No I have not tried putting back the old splitter mostly because I am worried about screwing up anything more, but late last night the WH screwed up again (watching in BR a show on Living room DVR). Also at some point the kitchen receiver had its SAT 2 issue again and screwed up a test recording.

Should I insist on the splitter being replaced?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home

spam firewall