Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(NEW) DECA connecting and disconnecting at random

whole home

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

As an update.... texted Tech on Sunday and Monday about issues. Yesterday around 5 pm he texted me he would be out this afternoon...as of 3 pm no show yet. Had a WH issue again yesterday, nothing with the SAT2 since Sunday. I had told him I wanted the splitter replaced. He wants to test electrical outlets. If he ever shows we'll see what happens

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Why aren't you going through DIRECTV to get this scheduled? Is this a private tech you're paying?
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#123 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

Why aren't you going through DIRECTV to get this scheduled? Is this a private tech you're paying?

This is through DirecTV (or should I say who DirecTV contracts out to do their work). Last Monday when the Tech and his supervisor came out (since 3 different ones had already been out the week before) the supervisor gave me his cell number so I could get him back out if that didn't fix it, which it didn't. Friday he said to text him over the weekend so he could come out Monday if needed. I did and then he didn't say a word back to me until around 5 Monday when he said it would have to be Tuesday (yesterday), then at noon yesterday he said he would be here about 2. At 4 I texted and he replied he would be out. At 5:45 I had to tell him I had to leave for my granddaughter's gymnastics.

#124 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

I've read through the topic, but there is a lot to go through so sorry if I missed something.

Karen:
I saw that you posted Phy Levels earlier, but did not see the Phy Rate Mesh posted. Could you post a picture of it? To get to it press Right + Guide on one of the 24s. Go to coax, and then Phy Rate Mesh. It will be an array of 3 digit numbers.

The signal problem moved with the kitchen receiver to the new room, correct?

This could point to a problem with the receiver, or to a problem between the Dish and splitter. Basically the dish breaks the cable down to 8 parts(channels) and gives each receiver a part for each tuner it has active. It has been my experience that unplugging a receiver with the SWM PI plugged in has maintained the channel assignment.

To figure out if it is the receiver or not we need to do the following:
1) Enable double play on the problem receiver. Make sure each tuner is on an HD channel.
2) Bring every other receiver to the signal meter screen looking at SWM.
3) Note where the 2 zeros are. Those are the channels assigned to the problem receiver.
4) Unplug each receiver, as well as the SWM PI. Leave unplugged for a minute.
5) Plug the PI in.
6) Here we are going to manually assign the SWM channels. We want to make sure the problem receiver is set to a different assignment. The SWM assigns channels from lowest to highest, starting at channel 2. DVRs may not grab their 2nd tuner until needed. If 2 and 3 were not 0s plug the problem receiver in first and wait for it to completely boot up. Enable double play. If 2 or 3 were 0s and 4 & 5 were not, plug a different receiver in first, wait for it to boot up completely and enable double play. Then do the same for the problem receiver.
7) Plug in the rest of the receivers.

If the problem stays with the receiver, it is likely the receiver. If it moves to a different receiver, it is likely anything from the ODU to the Splitter.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#125 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

I haven't tried your 7 steps yet, but here is the Phy Rate Mesh

NDS 0 1 2 3
0 238 245 248 241
1 246 231 247 232
2 246 252 235 234
3 253 249 245 243

and yes when we moved the kitchen receiver to the bedroom we saw the issue again, but the bedroom had not had that issue so it seemed receiver related. We have, however, seen the whole home problem since moving the receivers around.

#126 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I haven't tried your 7 steps yet, but here is the Phy Rate Mesh

NDS 0 1 2 3
0 238 245 248 241
1 246 231 247 232
2 246 252 235 234
3 253 249 245 243

and yes when we moved the kitchen receiver to the bedroom we saw the issue again, but the bedroom had not had that issue so it seemed receiver related. We have, however, seen the whole home problem since moving the receivers around.

Unfortunately those numbers do not point to a problem. You may reconnect your CCK if you like.

I'm sorry you have been experiencing these problems. Intermittent problems are not easy to diagnose. Many times all tests will pass and leave the tech grasping at straws.

Just to rule out a few things, does your SD DVR have a red device attached directly to its sat in?

Have you introduced any kind of electronics to the home around the time the problems started? It's extremely rare, but there have been cases of something as simple as a clock too close to the coax causing issues. Is there anything that turns on around the time the MRV stops working?
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#127 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Unfortunately those numbers do not point to a problem. You may reconnect your CCK if you like.

I'm sorry you have been experiencing these problems. Intermittent problems are not easy to diagnose. Many times all tests will pass and leave the tech grasping at straws.

Just to rule out a few things, does your SD DVR have a red device attached directly to its sat in?

Have you introduced any kind of electronics to the home around the time the problems started? It's extremely rare, but there have been cases of something as simple as a clock too close to the coax causing issues. Is there anything that turns on around the time the MRV stops working?

What changed was the Tech changing out the splitter and LBN when he came out to realign the dish.

Usually when we see it happen is at night, but I have seen it early morning.

#128 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

What changed was the Tech changing out the splitter and LBN when he came out to realign the dish.

Usually when we see it happen is at night, but I have seen it early morning.

You also had a 771A before that which is not caused by an alignment issue. It's possible the original problem was never fixed and the symptoms just got worse. Honestly, with an intermittent issue everything is suspect. Next tech out might just replace everything, which if the rest of the system looks healthy may be his only option to ensure a fix.
DirecTV Technician

#129 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

This is through DirecTV (or should I say who DirecTV contracts out to do their work). Last Monday when the Tech and his supervisor came out (since 3 different ones had already been out the week before) the supervisor gave me his cell number so I could get him back out if that didn't fix it, which it didn't. Friday he said to text him over the weekend so he could come out Monday if needed. I did and then he didn't say a word back to me until around 5 Monday when he said it would have to be Tuesday (yesterday), then at noon yesterday he said he would be here about 2. At 4 I texted and he replied he would be out. At 5:45 I had to tell him I had to leave for my granddaughter's gymnastics.

I would be contacting DIRECTV each time you need a tech to come out. The way you're doing it the situation is not being tracked and if say that a tech has been out X times there's nothing to validate it. Also at this point it should be in the hands of case management who will get it resolved but because of not going through them it's taking longer than it should.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#130 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

You also had a 771A before that which is not caused by an alignment issue. It's possible the original problem was never fixed and the symptoms just got worse. Honestly, with an intermittent issue everything is suspect. Next tech out might just replace everything, which if the rest of the system looks healthy may be his only option to ensure a fix.

the only box that got the 771a error has never had a problem since (that was the living room box)

#131 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

I would be contacting DIRECTV each time you need a tech to come out. The way you're doing it the situation is not being tracked and if say that a tech has been out X times there's nothing to validate it. Also at this point it should be in the hands of case management who will get it resolved but because of not going through them it's taking longer than it should.

I got no where the first week with 3 different Techs when I contacted DirecTV each time. When a supervisor came out with Tech 4 he said I was suppose to only contact him.

#132 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

I got no where the first week with 3 different Techs when I contacted DirecTV each time. When a supervisor came out with Tech 4 he said I was suppose to only contact him.

The supervisor told you that because he knew it would go to case management and if they didn't get it fixed and you called again it would impact their numbers. I can guarantee that if this was in case management it would have been resolved by now one way or the other.

#133 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

The supervisor told you that because he knew it would go to case management and if they didn't get it fixed and you called again it would impact their numbers. I can guarantee that if this was in case management it would have been resolved by now one way or the other.

That's what they did the first week basically. I would call DirecTV back, they would pass me to tech support, they would have me do a couple of things (same things again) and then tell me someone would come out. 3 different people didn't fix anything.

#134 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

So far (fingers crossed) I think we may have the whole home issue not happening anymore with really nothing new done.

We put the kitchen and bedroom boxes back where they were last night.

This morning kitchen was "mixed up" again and on VH1 even though that was not the channel it should have been on.

When the kitchen was in bedroom it got "mixed up" once not too many hours after turning it back on from moving. The bedroom never had any issues.

So does this mean the kitchen box has an issue or ??? Hard to believe it is any wiring if it does not cause another box to have an issue in the same room.

#135 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

At least 1+ hours on phone with DirecTV and got it elevated to case management (but of course had to go through customer service and tech support). Nice lady with case management. She asked questions and went over it all and said "their highest level of technician would come out" Saturday was earliest (got granddaughter's b'day party) so it is set for Sunday afternoon. We shall see....

#136 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Update...Tech just left after being here 3+ hours. He changed connectors to ones with a red band on them throughout house. He plugged his meter in all over checking whatever. Of course unless he is here when he drops he cannot see it, however, the problem receiver was on the wrong channel for him to see. He put the cable back in and back on the internet connection as well. He replaced the problem receiver since I had decided I was just tired of not being able to use it with not knowing when it would change and not record right (lost some stuff but I'll live or find it on again).

So we'll see.

But he said he had been doing this a year, seemed like he had had asked lots of questions along the way about things as he talked so maybe was very "up to date" but I found it interesting since they were supposedly sending "a high level tech out" since we had had such problems and it was escalated to case management.

He was very pleasant, listened to all I said and commented how much I knew and didn't just brush off anything I asked about or that I mentioned from this forum so if nothing else that alone was nice.

#137 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

Update...Tech just left after being here 3+ hours. He changed connectors to ones with a red band on them throughout house. He plugged his meter in all over checking whatever. Of course unless he is here when he drops he cannot see it, however, the problem receiver was on the wrong channel for him to see. He put the cable back in and back on the internet connection as well. He replaced the problem receiver since I had decided I was just tired of not being able to use it with not knowing when it would change and not record right (lost some stuff but I'll live or find it on again).

So we'll see.

I'm glad he took a good look at your system. Did he mention anything definitively wrong? If not, don't worry, sometimes an intermittent problem cannot be tracked down with the tests we have at our disposal.

But he said he had been doing this a year, seemed like he had had asked lots of questions along the way about things as he talked so maybe was very "up to date" but I found it interesting since they were supposedly sending "a high level tech out" since we had had such problems and it was escalated to case management.

There are not "High level techs" in most offices. Case management just means the tech is flagged to be able to roll to those types, has low service-on-service numbers, and has passed the necessary class. With how often I see notes requesting "High Level Techs" it would seem CSRs truly believe there are some.

He was very pleasant, listened to all I said and commented how much I knew and didn't just brush off anything I asked about or that I mentioned from this forum so if nothing else that alone was nice.

Glad to hear it. Thank you for taking the time to learn the system. It is much easier for the tech to track down the problem when the symptoms can accurately and thoroughly be explained.
DirecTV Technician

#138 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Well last night the WH started messing up again. We also noticed when watching things recorded last night that the quality was bad, pauses, some pixels, that sort of thing. No bad weather any where around so now I don't know anymore.

Going to call yet again this morning.

#139 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

After several back and forth phone calls with case management, someone came out today. I was insisting on a splitter switchout and they decided it was best to go ahead with the 16. Also this tech told me that he had seen a 16 system have similar issues that was using 15 tuners, like it didn't like being that close to be maxed.

We're setup so now we watch and test and wait!

#140 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

After several back and forth phone calls with case management, someone came out today. I was insisting on a splitter switchout and they decided it was best to go ahead with the 16. Also this tech told me that he had seen a 16 system have similar issues that was using 15 tuners, like it didn't like being that close to be maxed.

We're setup so now we watch and test and wait!

This might have something to do with a receiver tuning to a strange channel, but since the SWiM has nothing to do with the Whole Home, it doesn't make much sense for those issues, if you still have them.

At this point I think what you can count on is that everything has been replaced, but for the DECAs & receivers.
The LNB needed to be changed again for the SWiM-16, the cables have been inspected and attended to, and the splitters have been dealt with too.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home

spam firewall