Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can satellite tv signals pass through buildings?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amhere

amhere

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Can satellite tv signals travel through buildings?

Is it that the satellite tv signals from satellite cannot travel through buildings or is it because the antenna is not able to receive signals that pass through buildings?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Satellite signals cannot pass through walls and ceilings. The dish needs unobstructed line of sight.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Buildings aren't the only problem. People have aimed dishes through a leafless tree in the Winter only to discover by late Spring it won't work.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Let me say, under certain circumstances it's possible but it's not reliable at all.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Is it that the satellite tv signals from satellite cannot travel through buildings or is it because the antenna is not able to receive signals that pass through buildings?

When my installer came out yesterday there is a newly built house next door, he tried to convince me to go ahead and let him install, because he had set up the dish, and said he was getting a signal. I looked at his signal meter, and it looked to me like it was at about 1/2 strength. I did not let the install go ahead. This was on a bright, clear day, and the house next door is just framed, the brick on the bottom floor, no siding on the top floor, no carpet, or drywall, electricity, appliance, etc. I can only imagine getting that installed, having a crappy signal that goes out in light cloudiness, AND when they put a washer or dryer, or something else in my LOS. I was disappointed, but no way I'm signing off on a two year commitment on that.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

The meter is not a percentage, new customers always think it should be higher than it is especially with certain dishes. High 40's into 50's could be excellent. Another factor is that the beam is a lot higher on the dish than most people seem to think it is.

#7 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

The meter is not a percentage, new customers always think it should be higher than it is especially with certain dishes. High 40's into 50's could be excellent. Another factor is that the beam is a lot higher on the dish than most people seem to think it is.

I don't know........the bar was about 1/2 way up. He told me he was absolutely shocked he could get a signal at all. That made me balk as well.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

If a 1000.4 dish, you are fine.

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

The frequencies used for satellite service are too high, and the power used too low, to go through much of anything other than air. In theory, if you used enough power, you could get the signals through buildings, but that would introduce a whole host of other problems that I think we'd rather not face.

The antenna has no clue what is in front of it.

#10 OFFLINE   amhere

amhere

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thank you sregener.
That was what I was looking for

if you used enough power, you could get the signals through buildings, but that would introduce a whole host of other problems that I think we'd rather not face.

Can you tell what are the problems when using high power?
Is there a web article or something that tells about this?

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Satellites use the same general frequency range as your microwave oven. Do you REALLY want higher power in that range?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   amhere

amhere

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

@SayWhat?

I got your point. but can you please tell what are the issues when high power is used?

#13 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

@SayWhat?

I got your point. but can you please tell what are the issues when high power is used?

What difference does it make? Do you think they can run a cable up to the satellite to boost the power output of all those transponders? Geez! They are probably outputting all that they can.

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I just did. Higher power means everything in the beam gets cooked, just like your microwave over.

Even on two-way satellite internet services where the transmit power is only about 5 watts, they warn the technicians NOT to place the dish where people pass in front of it.

Not really sure what you're driving at.

And there's no @ in front of my ID.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

@SayWhat?

Imagine you are a hot dog. Put a hot dog in a microwave for 10 minutes. See what happens.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Keep in mind that this Satellite has a number of transponders and all of them require power. The satellite has to be able to have sufficient power to drive all of those transponders using batteries that are charged from solar cells and they need to be able to maintain service during a time when the solar cells are blocked from the sun. As technology has improved over the years, better Low Noise Amplifiers have allowed antennas to get smaller. The DBS system is based on Unobstructed view of the satellites. Anything in the way of that signal is going to degrade the signal including clouds, rain and physical objects like trees or leaves. With a marginal signal, one of the options available is to go with a larger dish. The signal gain of the dish is directly related to the size of the dish.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#17 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

Is there a web article or something that tells about this?

Others have addressed this, so I think it's pretty well covered. First issue is that you'd need a lot more power at the satellite - which means the satellite would need much larger solar panels and would be much more expensive. Second issue is radiation - people already walk around with tin foil hats because of all that radiation coming down. Third issue is selectivity - the stronger the signal coming down, the harder it would be to differentiate between orbital slots. That means fewer satellites up there to deliver stuff, which leads to less choices (and more expense) for us Finally, in order to pass through buildings, you would need some way to deal with scatter from the signal bouncing off things in the walls like electrical wire, which means you couldn't really have much directionality at all - one use of each frequency, instead of reusing the same one every 2 degrees over the satellite belt.

So yes, if there was only one signal in space on each frequency, and we found a way to blast that signal with a few thousand times more power than currently used, and we didn't care about genetic defects or cancer rates skyrocketing, we could send a satellite signal through walls such that you could veg out with an indoor dish.

#18 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Bottom line is that the Satellites are pretty well fixed and if you need more signal you get that with a larger Dish and you avoid obstructions.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#19 ONLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Tempest in a teapot.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#20 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Is it time to close this thread yet???????????????

spam firewall