Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Forum Section; "Media Business" ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Suggesting a new forum section dealing with disputes and/or media business news and announcements that don't really fit well in the existing sections.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Most disputes are provider specific so there really is no need for a forum like that. Besides, some users have all forums removed from their list except their own provider which might keep them from seeing disputes that could affect them.
  • MysteryMan likes this

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Most disputes are provider specific so there really is no need for a forum like that.

True, but some involve other parties like the Time-Warner dispute. Granted that's cable not DBS, but it's still of interest to some considering the current frequency of disputes and the "I'm switching carriers" comments. More coverage of these might show that it isn't either DBS carrier that is more 'at fault'.

I also see quite a few other stories about the content providers not specific to DBS like the NBC/Comcast sale.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

Kicking this back up again.

Stories like the SOAPNet shutdown and the associated article on 'zombie channels' are not specific to any carrier or even distribution method.  It affects everything, cable, satellite and streaming.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

Renewing the call for this.  Lots of merger stories and others don't fit any one category or forum, such as the one regarding Customer Service just posted.

All it takes is a couple of mouse clicks to create a forum.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Guess this never got enough votes to put onto the island. :)

Seems like there are some nooks and crannies for most of this: Cable TV Discussion, Legislative and Regulatory Issues, possibly General Satellite Discussion, or there is always the OT.

If it doesn't fit, might need to acquit (to somewhere else.)

Peace,

Tom

• MysteryMan likes this

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Sorry...There just really is not enough need for a dedicated forum section like that when most of it i covered in other areas without issue.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

Chicken and the Egg.

The lack of an appropriate section is why I don't post a lot of stories that don't fit into any of the existing pigeon holes.  This one doesn't really fit in OT either, but it fits better there than anywhere else since it covers several companies:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ms-consolidate/

If there were a section (chicken), there may be more stories and discussion (eggs).

It's not like it costs anything to add one.

#9 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Your right, it does not.  It Just looks poor on the site when there are no posts in them.  I have many times had to move posts somewhere else as a forum which we thought we be a good idea just did not get the posts and needed to be removed as it looked poor.  In fact we have some here like Cable TV that really has not done well.  In fact, last post was April.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Seems as though the answer is right here in this thread. After 3 years and 2 bumps by the thread starter there has only been one non-moderator post in this thread--and that was a where else in the existing forums this material can go.

If there was ANY interest, there would be at least a couple affirming posts. If it were really right for DBStalk, there would be a clamor. :)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,628 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:04 AM

Yeah... not too long ago we had separate forums for the top 5 cable companies, and they were mostly like ghost towns... so we decided to consolidate that back down to just one Cable TV forum.

When a channel goes away, it is either provider-specific (goes in that provider forum) or is channel-specific and we have general TV forums for that scenario.

About the only situation we don't have a clean place for... are mergers...  like the ATT/DirecTV one.  Discussion of that is important to DirecTV customers as well as ATT U-Verse customers... but that's really the rare situation.  The recent cable mergers (or attempts) go cleanly in the Cable TV forum since they are just Comcast/Time Warner or Charter/Bright House/Time Warner.

Full disclosure... I pushed for the top-5 cable company forums (I wasn't alone) when we expanded this site not to long ago to cover the broader DBS content. I used the argument from Field of Dreams (build it and they will come)... only, I was proven wrong... we built it, and they did not come... at least not in enough quantity to warrant having the diluted sections for each of them.

So now I've fallen back with the experienced folk here who kind of saw that coming... and usually wait for there to be real demand for a new forum before going about creating one.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...