Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TNT's "Perception" premier draws 5.6 million viewers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

While not the highest ratings, I was surprised how much we liked the show.

It's a good vehicle for Eric McCormack to demonstrate his acting skills and the talented Rachael Leigh Cook is an interesting choice for an FBI agent. They are strongly supported by LaVar Burton (Star Trek: Next Generation) and Kelly Rowan (The OC), as well as Ravi Patel and Arjay Smith.

It's another crime procedural, but if the writing settles in it could be a keeper for the long term.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Actually, I thought it was mediocre. When the most interesting plot element was a student who wanted to have an affair with the professor, it doesn't say too much for the show. Surely you guessed the truth about his therapist before the reveal.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#3 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

It was okay. The "body on the floor" cop show with expert consultant is not a new category. This one does have possibilities as it seems lightly based on John Nash (A Beautiful Mind) who actually did work for the CIA at one time.

#4 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thanx,
I will give it the 3 epi. test.
AT250 with ViP 722 via HDMI to 47" LG in living room and 27" JVC in exercise room. ViP 722 via HDMI to 42" Panny in master bedroom and 27" Philips in another bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

I will give it the standard 1/3 of an episode test.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

I will give it the standard 1/3 of an episode test.

Wow. You're a tough critic. I've never seen a pilot I couldn't pick to pieces.

I almost always give a new show 3 episodes. I say almost because there have been exceptions.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I had such high hopes for it from the previews, then I watched it and became very disappointed and cancelled it from my season pass

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#8 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Recorded this show... Will give it a watch ASAP......

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

I can't help calling it The Perceptionist. Have to wait for the Saturday morning rerun.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Lost interest pretty quickly. Then the George Bush segment - "click".

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#11 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I have to agree. I nearly shut it off then, but if I had, I would have missed the very end where the guy was watching a Bill Clinton segment and laughing his head off. Still, as I said, on the bubble, maybe, maybe not. I'll giv eit another episode, but if it fails to grab me, SP deleted.
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#12 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'll be watching the next episode or two, still somewhat undecided. For summer entertainment it isn't bad.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#13 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I happen to agree with the point but also found that a bit over the top when watching it.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#14 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

I happen to agree with the point but also found that a bit over the top when watching it.

Not as over the top as that large picture of Obama that appears on every episode of "Eureka". They even frame the shots so your eye is drawn to it.:rolleyes:
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#15 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

What I really was disappointed with was that I didn't see it breaking any new ground at all. It was new characters, but the same "content" slightly modified. Between Psych, The Mentalist, Lie to Me and the movie A Beautiful Mind, this seemed to take a few bits from each and make a new recipe, but it's not really different.
Luke

#16 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

What I really was disappointed with was that I didn't see it breaking any new ground at all. It was new characters, but the same "content" slightly modified. Between Psych, The Mentalist, Lie to Me and the movie A Beautiful Mind, this seemed to take a few bits from each and make a new recipe, but it's not really different.

Yeah, that was my take on it as well. I kept seeing warmed over bits from other shows/movies. About the only part I really liked was the wrap-up at the end

Rachael Leigh Cook as the FBI agent looks like she's 16, and I just didn't buy her in the role at all. Why does Hollywood keep pandering to this hot young chick with the older guy fantasy? It's getting tired. Kyra Sedgewick on the Closer (who's 47) is far sexier than this girl, and someone in that age range would have made more sense.

Pilots are often rough, so I'll give it another episode or two, but I'm not sure they can fix the problems I have with the show.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#17 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Kyra Sedgewick is sexier then most people period.

#18 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

There's one other series that this show reminded me of - Jeff Goldblum's failed 2007 series RAINES. He was a cop who talked to the ghosts of the murder victims who's cases he was investigating. Early on in the series (maybe at the end of the first episode) we discover that his partner is a ghost too.

From what I remember of it, the show was interesting, but the stories were a bit depressing. IMDB says there were only 7 episodes made. It was on NBC.

#19 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

Episode 2 wasn't half bad. The Russian Bride scenario has been done to death (even The Closer did this plot in season one, along with just about every other cop/detective series...) but they added enough new twists to make it interesting.

I guessed the final twist early on, but it was still fun to watch and Jamie Bambier from Battlestar Galactica was a great addition. I hope he sticks around.

#20 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

I agree that after watching the first two episodes, it is pretty formulaic. Perception is enjoyable but I doubt it will become required viewing for me.

What I found interesting in episode 2 was the language. At one point, the words BS and a-hole, and not the abbreviations I just used but the full words, were used in a scene. I wasn't used to that. I wasn't offended, just surprised.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall