Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rain Fade

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Just a quick question. Does anyone else have any issues with rain fade? I have DirecTV coming on Friday but I just want to make sure no one else is having a issue.

I read that having a bigger dish would help out during the storms. Because, when Friday comes and they align everything I dont want to still loose signal when some light to moderate rain comes down.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

You should not lose your signal in light or moderate rain. Only if a storm passes through and interrupts your line of sight to the satellites. I lose about 40 minutes viewing time per year due to weather related signal loss.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Might help to get an idea of what your levels are now for the 99c & 103c SATs.
Go into the setup menu and view levels.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   abooch

abooch

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Can anyone point me to a guide in order to realign the dish on my own?

#5 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFairfax County, VA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

It happens to us during thunderstorms, especially ones with lots of lightning. We were not at home for the "derecho" storm that ripped through the DC area the week before last so I don't know how bad that one was. The other thing to verify is whether there are any trees nearby that might blow around and obstruct your signal during rainy weather even if they don't normally. Our dish has been on a lower roof on the back of our house since 2001, but the trees out back have grown considerably since then and I expect I'll have to move the dish up to the main roof (and get a dish heater for the winter) sometime in the next year or two. The trees don't generally obstruct the signal yet, but when it gets windy and the branches get whipped around we sometimes experience disruptions.

(Haven't needed the dish heater because with the current location I can lean out the window with a broom and a blowdryer and clean off any ice and snow.)

#6 OFFLINE   DF Wavelength

DF Wavelength

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Have you tried this??

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Have you tried this??

Posted Image

!rolling
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Might help to get an idea of what your levels are now for the 99c & 103c SATs.
Go into the setup menu and view levels.

99c is 96%

103ca is 95% and 103cb is 98%

Would a larger dish help? I dont want to be in a 2 year contract if it keeps going out everytime a storm comes by.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

99c is 96%

103ca is 95% and 103cb is 98%

Would a larger dish help? I dont want to be in a 2 year contract if it keeps going out everytime a storm comes by.

It's worth have the tech come out at this point.
Those numbers don't show a problem, but they also don't show what the actual power levels are either, which can only be checked with a power meter.
"It would have been nice", if those numbers were down in the 70s or less, as it would point to an alignment problem.

First have your system checked out because it doesn't quite seem "normal".

Yes a larger dish would help, but that isn't going to be free and they're in the $600 range BEFORE installation.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Here is SWFL we lose the HD signal with a heavy rain (a few times per week) and will lose all signal at least once per week. As an example yesterday lost all signal for ~30 minutes, but then we got over 2" of rain in an hour with the highest rain rate of 7" per hour at one point. I am close to eating the ETF and getting cable.

Signals
103cb = 96
103ca = 97
99c = 96
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Didn't you have a problem with movement in wind? Has that been corrected, or is that what DirecTV is coming on Friday to correct?

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Here is SWFL...

You might want to update your profile: Location: MI
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

It's worth have the tech come out at this point.
Those numbers don't show a problem, but they also don't show what the actual power levels are either, which can only be checked with a power meter.
"It would have been nice", if those numbers were down in the 70s or less, as it would point to an alignment problem.

First have your system checked out because it doesn't quite seem "normal".

Yes a larger dish would help, but that isn't going to be free and they're in the $600 range BEFORE installation.

Yeah, the dish is dry now and I am having some bad pixillation issues now. Dont know if there is water in the lines or what but something has went bad. It shouldnt be the lines as they installed a SWM16 about a week ago.

#14 OFFLINE   jordanhallmann

jordanhallmann

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Didn't you have a problem with movement in wind? Has that been corrected, or is that what DirecTV is coming on Friday to correct?

Yes they are coming Friday. But, I am thinking the LNB has gone bad or there is some water in one of the lines. I loose all of the satellites for about 10 mins.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, the dish is dry now and I am having some bad pixillation issues now. Dont know if there is water in the lines or what but something has went bad. It shouldnt be the lines as they installed a SWM16 about a week ago.

Yes they are coming Friday. But, I am thinking the LNB has gone bad or there is some water in one of the lines. I loose all of the satellites for about 10 mins.

"I'd say", you just need some attention and inspection.
Maybe a loose connector, maybe...
Maybe a bit better water "proofing" [OK it will never be "proof", but more resistant to]
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...