Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ATTN: DIRT Team - DVR's locking up, not responding to remotes

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

After several years with just normal minor glitches, our 722 has had a problem twice in the last two days. It gets into a state where we can change channels using channel up/down or by entering the channel number, but most other buttons (Guide, DVR, Info) do nothing.

The only solution is to do a reset and wait for it to come back up. So far, this works and all functionality is restored.

Is this a result of a recent s/w update, or should I talk to DISH about a possible replacement or ??? I would include my s/w version number, but don't know where to find it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Did anyone else have any problems with there dvr today, I have one 612, and two 722's. All three froze up when turned on tonight, then had to be re-set.

#3 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

What software version are you on?

#4 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

722K froze up on me last night and had to be rebooted.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Did anyone else have any problems with there dvr today, I have one 612, and two 722's. All three froze up when turned on tonight, then had to be re-set.

Wow! This is weird! You're in Pennsylvania and I'm in Northern California.

My 722 and my 612 both froze up when I turned them on tonight. I had no control over them with the remotes.

I had a moment of panic though, as I usually check them in the morning sometime. But there it was 5:30 and several recording timers set to begin at 6:00 pm.

When they rebooted, which they did, the schedule was just fine, so I have no idea what caused it.

The thing is, my 722 did it yesterday, but not the 612.

The software versions have been the same for months.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

What software version are you on?

Where in the menus do they hide that info?

#7 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Exactly, my remotes had no control at all. My 622 had to be manually re-set, my 722's froze up, then did a reboot by themselves. I assumed they got a software update but I could be wrong.

#8 OFFLINE   wildzeke

wildzeke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have the same problem with both my 722 and 722K. It just starting happening two days ago. The unit stops responding to the remote. Sometimes hitting the menu button will cause the screen to go black. I have to reboot the receiver to get the remote to work. Sometimes I can wait 20 minutes and it will start working on its own,

#9 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

I had this problem for the past two nights. I was thinking it was time to call for a replacement 722.

#10 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Same thing here. Remote wouldn't work at all.

Had to do a hard reboot and it came back to life but was still sluggish but working at least.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#11 OFFLINE   GB1

GB1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Love this forum! I had the same thing for the last two nights. I was not looking forward to calling in for another new 722. But now I will wait.

Thanks!

#12 ONLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Where in the menus do they hide that info?

menu--system setup--installation--system info (menu-6-1-3)

#13 OFFLINE   tkeech1

tkeech1

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I am having the same problems on both 722 and 612. I called dish and they said the only thing could do is replace the receivers

#14 OFFLINE   beetle02

beetle02

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

My 722 stopped responding to the remote on TV1 and TV2 this morning other than the power. But when I would turn it off the screen would go black instead of the normal powered off screen. It was recording so I did not manually reset it but as soon as the recording finished it did a reset on its own. Remotes are working now. The software version is L724.

#15 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

I am having the same problems on both 722 and 612. I called dish and they said the only thing could do is replace the receivers

Oh, OK. So we all have our receivers going out at the same time with the same issues? Come on Dish, it's the new firmware and you know it.

#16 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

(From the OP) - My software is shown as "L725".

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

In the threads DVR Issues Today and DVR stops responding to buttons people, including me, are reporting a problem that appears to have begun this week.

In my specific case my experience was on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (today), with my 722 and on Tuesday with my 612 I turned them on with the remote getting a picture and sound. From that point on I had no control with my remotes - any of my remotes. After a few minutes of trying to get a response, the boxes rebooted. After rebooting everything was fine, even all scheduled recordings.

If you check the other threads you will see that this has nothing to do with customer location. Some are on the East Coast, some of us are on the West Coast. My 722 still has L7.24 software. Some report having received the L7.25 update.

I do not believe this is some coincidence specific to our DVRs because of the different reports from the different locations. It is my belief that something changed on Monday, probably with Monday morning's update. Nonetheless, Here are screenshots of my system info detail screens and my diagnostic counter screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Happened with my 722 again. Since there are two threads on this, I started another ATTN: DIRT Team - DVR's locking up, not responding to remotes requesting help.

My AV Setup

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Happened with my 722 for the third day in a row, and my 612 yesterday. Since there are two threads on this, I started another ATTN: DIRT Team - DVR's locking up, not responding to remotes requesting help.

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Happened to me yesterday and today. I have had to reset it, my 722 dvr, twice. I live in Utah. WTH is going on?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...