Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you miss Viacom?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you miss Viacom (495 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you miss Viacom

1. Yes (102 votes [20.61%])

Percentage of vote: 20.61%

2. No (336 votes [67.88%])

Percentage of vote: 67.88%

3. Maybe (57 votes [11.52%])

Percentage of vote: 11.52%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Would you miss Viacom if Directv were to drop them?

If so would you only like to see certain channels back?

If so Which?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

It's irrelevant. Viacom will only agree to bundle all of their crap with their good channels, like Nickelodeon and Comedy Central. To stay viable, they have to require DTV carry all of their stuff.

#3 OFFLINE   eaddict

eaddict

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

It's irrelevant. Viacom will only agree to bundle all of their crap with their good channels, like Nickelodeon and Comedy Central. To stay viable, they have to require DTV carry all of their stuff.

Just like DirecTV bundles all it's crap to the end user I guess.

#4 OFFLINE   Vette1992

Vette1992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

I won't miss it because I'll switch to Dish Network!

#5 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

The only channel i remotely care about is Comedy Central, and thats for two shows. Give me a discount on my bill and i'd never think about it again.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#6 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Of course we'd miss Viacom. They carry a lot of trash but there are several shows that members of my household enjoy. I know the "cool" techie people that post here are above Viacom but normal households would be pretty bummed.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

You bet I would miss Viacom. I often watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report and South Park still cracks me up. Palladia is also a regular stop for me.

Could I get over their loss? Absolutely. Eventually the new shows will be back online. Online viewing is in everyone's future, including DirecTV's. Nobody will let this fight screw up their future income streams. Plus when I watch South Park through Netflix, all of the dirty words are left in. It's even funnier.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

I won't miss it because I'll switch to Dish Network!

And then Viacom will do the same with Dish. ;)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

My wife and I were just talking about this today and realized that we don't watch a single show on any of those channels. So for me, no big deal. My biggest complaint is what they did to the guide by adding all those alert and mix channels.

In any event, I hope this gets resolved soon for the benefit of those who do enjoy and watch these channels.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Of course we'd miss Viacom. They carry a lot of trash but there are several shows that members of my household enjoy. I know the "cool" techie people that post here are above Viacom but normal households would be pretty bummed.

Exactly on point. I'm so tired of people here acting like what they watch make them so awesome in life. Just because they don't watch it, it's trash programming? Whatever.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   NewView

NewView

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

As far as I'm concerned, DirecTV can drop all Viacom channels and then lower my monthly bill. It's way past time for cable & satellite providers to tell these greedy networks to go pack sand.

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB
HR21-200

#12 OFFLINE   mp12point7

mp12point7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

The wife just pointed out I spend more time reading dbstalk and AVS Forum than I do watching TV. Now...If NBC Nightly News disappeared...I would be upset!

#13 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'd miss Comedy Central for three shows. The Daily Show, Futurama and Workaholics! I'd miss Palladia...I honestly can't think of another channel or show I'd miss from Viacom. Sad really, they were good at one time. Heck my 8yr old watches Disney for Phin & Ferb & the Hub. She never missed a beat yesterday!

#14 OFFLINE   JackBikes

JackBikes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

If only DTV would lower the bill without Viacom channels, but that won't happen. We the viewers will continue to pay for it even when they're gone.
HR21-200 DVR
42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV
Sharp Blue Ray DVD
Sony AV receiver w/ Bose speakers

#15 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

The wife just pointed out I spend more time reading dbstalk and AVS Forum than I do watching TV. Now...If NBC Nightly News disappeared...I would be upset!

+1

#16 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

I wouldn't really miss it, but I do watch those channels on occasion when there is nothing else on or when I just want something that I'm not following closely on. For example, I sometimes throw "Friends" on Nick at Nite on while I'm browsing forums on my laptop. Or when Spike airs any of the Star Wars movies, I'll throw that on and clean the house or do other tasks. Comedy Central? I watch Workaholics and sometimes South Park. But those will be on Netflix later on. I can wait.
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#17 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I watch reruns of CSI: NY once in awhile on Spike and that's it. So, no.

#18 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

And then Viacom will do the same with Dish. ;)

That's certainly a problem. I wonder how many customers switched to Dish with AMC HD being at least a major reason to switch, when DirecTV didn't offer it. Now, it's on DirecTV and not on Dish, even SD. The grass can be greener on the other side, but that can change before two years.

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Doesn't bother me a bit. Be interesting to see how it affects Sadie, she watches the Nickelodeon channels all the time. Hurtful thing for the kids.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Exactly on point. I'm so tired of people here acting like what they watch make them so awesome in life. Just because they don't watch it, it's trash programming? Whatever.

You're right, I'm gonna have to face a frustrated four year old this weekend.

Rich

spam firewall