Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you miss Viacom?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you miss Viacom (495 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you miss Viacom

1. Yes (102 votes [20.61%])

Percentage of vote: 20.61%

2. No (336 votes [67.88%])

Percentage of vote: 67.88%

3. Maybe (57 votes [11.52%])

Percentage of vote: 11.52%

Vote

#61 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas (Tyler DMA)

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Would you miss Viacom if Directv were to drop them?

If so would you only like to see certain channels back?

If so Which?

TV Land, but the format has moved too far away from Classic TV
Comedy Central, Daily Show & Colbert Report
VH1 occasionally

I don't miss any enough to bolt DTV and would be just fine if they don't come back as long as pricing was adjusted accordingly.

Slimline (SWM)  >  HR 44-500   >  WVBR0-01 >  C41W-500 + HR 24-100  (AM-21) =  (Whole Home DVR) 

Ultimate + HD Extra Pack + HBO + Showtime

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   mortimer

mortimer

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'd miss CC only for South Park. I can get that elsewhere.
Living Room
HR21-700 HD DVR
Sony KDS-60A3000 60" LCD Rear Projection TV
TVIX 4100SH HD Media Receiver

Master Bedroom
HR20-700 HD DVR
Dell 24" LCD monitor

Man Cave
H21 HD Receiver
50" Toshiba HD RPTV

#63 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Voted "Maybe" because the only Viacom channels that get any attention in this household are Comedy Central, Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, Teen Nick and TV Land. 4 channels, that's it.

DIRECTV since April 2000.

#64 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

100 percent right - those that would not "miss" then have no younger childern in the house, the poll is inaccurate and biased

I started the poll, I have a 4 year old. I never let him watch Nick.. I have seen episodes of Spongebob..It is nothing but bubblegum for the brain. But that is my opinion, and that is the rule in my house.

Of all of the channels I do not believe I would miss any of them. My wife and I never watched any of them anyway.

I tried to make the Poll as fair as possible, I was just inquiring if you would miss Viacom Corps TV channels.

Edited by PK6301, 12 July 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,181 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

It looks like most of you guys dont have kids. No nick and nick jr means no happy kids in my house. I dont watch any of those channels but my family does.

I have kids; 2, 7, & 9 to be more exact and only the 9 year old expressed a disappointment at the loss of Nick and Nick Jr., that was until she realized she had 60+ SpongeBob's on her DVR.

For me, I am bummed about the loss of Spike as I enjoyed their reality shows (Repo Games and World's Worst Tenants).

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#66 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Does not bouther me too much,i feel drop viacrap and lower the cost. I know many outhers might not feel that way and idon't blame them,ther are a few chennels i like but if Directv gives in it might triger outher vendors to push harder for more money.

i hope they settle and it don't end up costing us much more.

Edited by gfrang, 12 July 2012 - 07:58 PM.
typo

#67 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I just miss the Powerblock series on Spike, That Metal Show on VH1 Classic, and some of the concerts on Palladia.

#68 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'm a nerd, Viacom has nothing that interests me.

Take away the Discovery networks... :mad2:

Then you should like the official Star Wars channel.

#69 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

100 percent right - those that would not "miss" then have no younger childern in the house, the poll is inaccurate and biased

How about not letting kids watch TV and have them do something more creative? That is how we were raised and all of the children in our extended family are raised. We are all involved in sports, clubs, activities, and the outdoors.

Edited by DodgerKing, 12 July 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'd miss CC only for South Park. I can get that elsewhere.

Online.

#71 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I voted yes, but only because my grandkids watch NickJr all the time...

Other than that, not a big deal. I catch a few CSI re-runs on Spike...but I won't miss them...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#72 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Nope.

The kids watch NIK, but they've already moved on.

The only show we watch on all the other networks combined is Tosh.0.

Incorrect. They've got the Disney Channels, Cartoon Network, Netflix streaming, and a Hard Drive full of movies, so they'll be fine. As I said, they've already moved on and haven't mentioned not having NIK since I told them about it yesterday morning.

when did disney get Penguins of Madagasgar, Spongebob Square pants, legends of Korra - just a few to be named that the kids watch.

Netflix is not an option for people that are connected via a provider that has low limits and hard caps them either by discontinuing servie or charging for overage.

That maybe your reaction from your kids, but mine are different, they watch very few shows on disney, cartoon network is junk to them, nothing on it that they watch or perfer.

Again biased and inaccurate depending on the situation.

#73 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

when did disney get Penguins of Madagasgar, Spongebob Square pants, legends of Korra - just a few to be named that the kids watch.

When did I say they did?

Kids are adaptable. More accepting to change than you, I can guarantee. At least mine are, but they're not spoiled either. There's plenty of other programming for them.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#74 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

I would miss Comedy Central & Spike the rest can go.

#75 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

How about not letting kids watch TV and have them do something more creative? That is how we were raised and all of the children in our extended family are raised. We ate all involved in sports, clubs, activities, and the outdoors.

don't make assumptions - they are normally wrong. They have a specific set of time for tv, then they read, and do other indoor and outdoor activities that do not involve the boob tube, currenlty they are away at a
Equestrian camp where there is no tv, they are due back tomorrow evening.

I have adult friends that spend more time on a weekend glued to useless sports channels then my kids spend on watching the shows they prefer for 7 days.

#76 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

When did I say they did?

Kids are adaptable. More accepting to change than you, I can guarantee. At least mine are, but they're not spoiled either. There's plenty of other programming for them.

You implied it by saying there where other channels that they could watch, even though the shows they prefer are not on them, they have tried to watch other channels, they do not prefer to watch those shows, their free choice. Kind of like being told you can only watch the New York Yankees on all the sports channels instead of the team you prefer. Doubt you would be very haoppen with that restriction

will let them scream at you when the come back and find that the shows they like to watch for 2 hours a day are not avaialble.

#77 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Actually I do have a 7 year old and everything seems to be going along just fine here. So no, speak for yourself. And oh as the parent if my kid become unruly over the lose of a tv channel its my job to teach him that's life and sometimes it's not always what you want it to be now deal with it.

#78 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

You implied it by saying there where other channels that they could watch, even though the shows they prefer are not on them, they have tried to watch other channels, they do not prefer to watch those shows, their free choice. Kind of like being told you can only watch the New York Yankees on all the sports channels instead of the team you prefer. Doubt you would be very haoppen with that restriction

will let them scream at you when the come back and find that the shows they like to watch for 2 hours a day are not avaialble.

Yeah and we had to cut off cable when I was little because we couldn't afford it for a few years and I lost Pinwheel, Lassie, and Danger Mouse. I managed to find something else to watch on the 7 OTA channels we had. So if you actually let them scream at you over a missing tv channel and get away with it that's your problem, not directvs.

And for sports you mean like me living in Tampa having to watch the Rays whom I don't care about or the Yankees since this is really Yankee hell instead of the Braves? Oh the horror! ::rolls eyes::

#79 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

1. They have plenty stored on the DVR
2. Even if they didn't, as I mentioned, kids (as long as they're not spoiled) don't mind change as much as adults. New shows come and go all the time.
3. As I mentioned, they've already gotten over it. They love the new mix channel.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#80 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

I am actually shocked, and almost proud of this poll. Happy to know that there is a majority out there who feels the same way.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...