Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you miss Viacom?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you miss Viacom (495 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you miss Viacom

1. Yes (102 votes [20.61%])

Percentage of vote: 20.61%

2. No (336 votes [67.88%])

Percentage of vote: 67.88%

3. Maybe (57 votes [11.52%])

Percentage of vote: 11.52%

Vote

#81 OFFLINE   SDimwit

SDimwit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

There are only a couple of shows I watch on those channels, but I would miss those shows dearly.

I think everyone with the "I can watch those shows on Netflix, or online" answers needs to think a bit longer down the line. What makes anyone think that Viacom will allow those shows to be carried on those outlets?

I do believe that ala carte is the way this should all go. There are about 25 channels that I watch and I'd gladly pay $1.00/month each for them and you can keep the rest. Let the channels that can't support themselves go under, or find a way to make themselves more desirable.

Of course your mileage may vary,
Joe
Uh...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I honestly have to say I would miss Comedy Central, and Spike. Having said that, I would not leave D* over this.

#83 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Wow, you guys are amazing. 20+ channels lost yet don't really give a @#$%. I should have stayed with cable. You know some of us just try and get by and don't use Netflix, DVR's, XBOX's, whatever. I just watch TV. I might watch MTV music awards, or TVLand, or Spike or whatever.....i'd like to have a choice. I don't have kids but so what, maybe the Kids Choice Awards? So, i started with approx 129 HD channels on Ultimate, now after just 2 months i'm down to under a hundred, and after a couple more weeks i'll be down about 50. What's next? NBC a week before the Olympics?

#84 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

How about we drop Viacom and add MeTV and AntennaTV. At least we would see some of the stuff that Nick At Night and TVland used to give us.

#85 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

I suspect if D* played hardball, and started reallocating that bandwidth to other, new channels, that eventually Viacom would crack and a reasonable deal would be made for a subset of their most popular channels. Might take awhile, however.

For those who really care about any of those channels, I do feel ya. As a hockey fan, I went thru *months* of pain over the Versus dispute.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#86 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

How about we drop Viacom and add MeTV and AntennaTV. At least we would see some of the stuff that Nick At Night and TVland used to give us.

I think those are only available to OTA stations for subchannels. Adding them nationwide to a satellite carrier would cause lots of legal issues.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#87 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

I think everyone with the "I can watch those shows on Netflix, or online" answers needs to think a bit longer down the line. What makes anyone think that Viacom will allow those shows to be carried on those outlets?

Well, if Viacom didn't, long term, it'd be worth more to D*. That's part of D*'s argument --Viacom has diluted the value (to D*) of the channels by making their best content widely available to consumers without purchasing cable/sat subscriptions.

Edited by georule, 12 July 2012 - 11:07 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#88 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Yes, I'd miss Comedy Central. I need my Stewart and Colbert.

#89 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

Wow, you guys are amazing. 20+ channels lost yet don't really give a @#$%. I should have stayed with cable. You know some of us just try and get by and don't use Netflix, DVR's, XBOX's, whatever. I just watch TV. I might watch MTV music awards, or TVLand, or Spike or whatever.....i'd like to have a choice. I don't have kids but so what, maybe the Kids Choice Awards? So, i started with approx 129 HD channels on Ultimate, now after just 2 months i'm down to under a hundred, and after a couple more weeks i'll be down about 50. What's next? NBC a week before the Olympics?

OK, i take back what i said.........been reading what's been going on and i'm on DirecTV's side. This is new to me here....my TWC LA never had this problem as far as a group of channels being shut out. Hopefully something will be worked out.

#90 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

So, i started with approx 129 HD channels on Ultimate, now after just 2 months i'm down to under a hundred,

Please tell us what at least 30 HD channels you have lost in 2 months unrelated to a possible package downgrade.

#91 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

1. They have plenty stored on the DVR
2. Even if they didn't, as I mentioned, kids (as long as they're not spoiled) don't mind change as much as adults. New shows come and go all the time.
3. As I mentioned, they've already gotten over it. They love the new mix channel.

kindly keep implications to yourself, really happy your kids have "gotten over it" kudos to you and yours. Just don;t apply your values and ideals to anyone else, the situations are different. I take it your kids are not under the age of 8 then if they are sooooo "reasonable"

#92 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Voted No, we will not miss any of the Viacom channels. Yes, there are shows which will be missed, however I can wait a little longer and catch up with them through other means. Either way neither side will win, both Viacom and D* will be bruised. Yet, it will be us the consumer whom will eventually have to the pay their medical bills after the fight.:D
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#93 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

It looks like most of you guys dont have kids. No nick and nick jr means no happy kids in my house. I dont watch any of those channels but my family does.

100 percent right - those that would not "miss" then have no younger childern in the house, the poll is inaccurate and biased

My grandkids much prefer Sprout, PBS Kids (which we get OTA), and Cartoon Network to any of the Viacom offerings, so even with young children in the house, we would not miss Viacom.

#94 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

OK, i take back what i said.........been reading what's been going on and i'm on DirecTV's side. This is new to me here....my TWC LA never had this problem as far as a group of channels being shut out. Hopefully something will be worked out.

It is only a matter of time before TWC in LA has a problem. TWC in many areas have just lost all of the Hearst channels. Contract disuptes happen with every provider, and they will only get worse.

#95 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

they have until tuesday to either fix it or provide substantial updates or I cancel.
they will spent a ton on shipping when I send all my stuff back too.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#96 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

It is only 17 channels, and many of them are not in HD, so there is something off with your math. If and when you might lose NBC depends on who owns it and when the contract is set to expire. Most contracts are renegotiated without any loss of coverage.

If you were getting your television from TWC and your local NBC station is owned by Hearst, you would be without NBC right now.

#97 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

It's possible that could happen on cable here. It is true, some of us don't really care about the Viacom channels. Others would like them back, but the way Viacom is handling it in front of customers isn't exactly getting people on their side.

The real problem is that this kind of think will get worse. Especially if DirecTV were to just give in, but even without. Time Warner came close to losing Viacom a few years ago.

The fact of the matter is, most contracts are renewed without us even knowing about it. Others we hear about, but are resolved either before the deadline, or during an extension. We actually lose very few channels due to disputes, and except for a few exceptions, generally only for a few days.

Just saw your other post. It's a bit hard to keep up with these Viacom threads :)

Edited by dpeters11, 13 July 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#98 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

If you were getting your television from TWC and your local NBC station is owned by Hearst, you would be without NBC right now.

Not in all areas. In some cities, including here, they are using the NBC out of Terre Haute, owned by Nexstar. Now, this may not last, as Nexstar says that they didn't authorize this and want it stopped. Right now, TWC is blacking out 30 Rock and two courtroom shows on the replacement, but it's possible the whole thing will go black if Nexstar gets their way, and TWC doesn't get a deal with Hearst.

#99 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Me? - No!

Daughter? - Definately YES Nick is on a lot.

Wife? - Maybe leaning towards No.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#100 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

i voted no.

spam firewall