Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you miss Viacom?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you miss Viacom (495 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you miss Viacom

1. Yes (102 votes [20.61%])

Percentage of vote: 20.61%

2. No (336 votes [67.88%])

Percentage of vote: 67.88%

3. Maybe (57 votes [11.52%])

Percentage of vote: 11.52%

Vote

#101 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I voted no. There will be gravity tomorrow.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Voted No. I might miss Palladia but not the commercials. VH1 Classic would be nice in HD but since it's not I won't miss that either. I don't watch any of the others!

But it would be nice to have something other than one free Encore HD channel in return :nono2:
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#103 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Like many others here, I regularly watch the Daily Show and Colbert on Comedy Central. Aside from that, I seldom watch any of the Viacom channels.

Frankly, I would rather see D* use the bandwidth to upgrade to other HD channels, such as BBCHD, NatGeo Wild HD, etc, than to pay extra for two shows.
Current Configuration:
HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A710BL
Samsung UN60D7000V
Klipsch RCW-5 in-wall speakers x4
Klipsch RC-53 center
Klipsch KW-100 sub

#104 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

My grandkids much prefer Sprout, PBS Kids (which we get OTA), and Cartoon Network to any of the Viacom offerings, so even with young children in the house, we would not miss Viacom.

so you voted no becasue you grandkids don;t have any shows they prefer to watch on the dropped channel - lets move to teh future and the next channels that go are sprout, and cartoon network - no that it affects you, how would you votes then? Ths vote boils down to a matter or preception - if it affect the viewer then it is yes, if it does not then it is no. Personnaly espn, rsn, the premium sports packages would all be a no vote for myself, just like those that are not affected primarilly voted no

OTA is not a option in the location I live, whcih is why I have had Directv or it's foreruners since 1996, before that cable

#105 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

so you voted no becasue you grandkids don;t have any shows they prefer to watch on the dropped channel - lets move to teh future and the next channels that go are sprout, and cartoon network - no that it affects you, how would you votes then? Ths vote boils down to a matter or preception - if it affect the viewer then it is yes, if it does not then it is no. Personnaly espn, rsn, the premium sports packages would all be a no vote for myself, just like those that are not affected primarilly voted no

OTA is not a option in the location I live, whcih is why I have had Directv or it's foreruners since 1996, before that cable

I would still vote no, because there are always other options. Disney Jr starts on DirecTV tomorrow. Nick will be back eventually. No one holds a monopoly on children's programing, and there is no single show that I or my grandkids cannot live without.

#106 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

The only one of those channels I ever watched was TVLand, and that was a rare occasion when I even watched that channel. I would never miss them. I guess others would miss them, though they seem to be in a minority on this forum.

#107 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I voted Maybe, mainly cause my kids keep asking about Nick,and Nick Teen.

For me , I really don't care, Honestly I watched a couple shows from time to time on MTV, but not really enough to care its gone. Comedy, well again I get turned off by networks that over play way to many commercials. I think Viacom was the worst for commercial interruptions.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#108 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

With Disney Junior coming, Nick Jr. isn't needed in my household (Nick Jr. was getting long in the tooth with 20 YO reruns of "Blues Clues" and such anyhow).
I haven't watched much Comedy Central, it got too political IMHO. I used to watch it (back in the MST3K days, and when shows like The Daily Show was funny and not "John Stewart's News and Comment".) Spike had some potential years ago, but has basically become a network of reruns and and bad "reality" shows.

MTV/VH1 and M2/Classic haven't done much since the 80's. I havent seen "Music" on "Music television" in decades.

They really lost me back during Live 8 (probably the last time I watched MTV) switching away to commercial when Pink Floyd (the Headliner REUNION) came onstage as if it was the opening act none cared about. (they had to delay it and play it back in whole to fix the mess after the viacom switchboards lit up).

#109 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

I only watch Comedy Central and VH1 Classic, so I'm in the maybe category.

My wife who watches 10X the TV I do didn't even notice Viacom channels were missing and she'll watch just about anything! So if she doesn't care then that tells me all I need to know about Viacom's line up.

This just points the way for ala carte pricing: X dollars for X channels were you pick 'n choose / mix-n-match. Various packages could still bundle similar channels together like a sports package or a movie package for volume discounts. One can dream. If these TV folks don't get their act together they will learn what music industry found out: technology is making your distribution model outdated. So get with times already!

#110 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

They really lost me back during Live 8 (probably the last time I watched MTV) switching away to commercial when Pink Floyd (the Headliner REUNION) came onstage as if it was the opening act none cared about. (they had to delay it and play it back in whole to fix the mess after the viacom switchboards lit up).

+1

I just record Story Tellers on Palladia. Most have been deleted. Won't miss Viacom for a New York minute.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#111 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I would miss Comedy Central. The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Tosh.0 and the comedian specials. The rest I can do without.
Sony KDF-50E2000 DirecTV HR44-500 via HDMI
Sony KDL-46W4100 DirecTV HR21-700 via HDMI

Slimline 3 dish with SWiM

"My brain hurts."

#112 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Please continue all Viacom/DIRECTV discussion here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=206731

Thank You.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...