Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Save me a call to DTV -- do they still want HR20s back?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

I received my return box for DTV equipment. The return label mentions HR21-100 and R16-300.

I also have a HR20-100. Does DTV no longer want these old units returned?

Has anyone else had experience with this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

According to Wahooq, who works for them, they are no longer recovered.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

They wanted my HR20-100, but that was like a year and a half ago.:)

I suggest that you either call or send an email.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I received my return box for DTV equipment. The return label mentions HR21-100 and R16-300.

You're asking for some very bad advice, no matter who gives it (on this forum).

There are many, many stories of people who were told one thing (even by CSRs) and then hit with a charge for non-returned equipment.

Forget what anyone says here (on this matter). Call D*, get the name and employee number of the person that tells you what to do, write down the date and time of the conversation, then follow up accordingly.

The fact that one person was told by one other person that a box may not need to be returned is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen (when it comes to DirecTV)

It is abundantly clear to anyone who follows these forums that all too often the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at DirecTV. Adding in the hearsay advice of an internet forum on a matter that could cost you hundreds of dollars is ...well....:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I just had an HDDVR upgrade to replace a HR20. They sent me a recovery kit and this was in the last 3 weeks.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I suggest you call and CYA (Cover your ...).
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

According to Wahooq, who works for them, they are no longer recovered.

I called ACT the other day about a concern I had and remembered to ask them if the 20s were recoverable. Their answer was "no".

If they are not recoverable, does this mean I can put big HDDs in them with violating the TOS? Do we now own them?

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

You're asking for some very bad advice, no matter who gives it (on this forum).

There are many, many stories of people who were told one thing (even by CSRs) and then hit with a charge for non-returned equipment.

Forget what anyone says here (on this matter). Call D*, get the name and employee number of the person that tells you what to do, write down the date and time of the conversation, then follow up accordingly.

The fact that one person was told by one other person that a box may not need to be returned is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen (when it comes to DirecTV)

It is abundantly clear to anyone who follows these forums that all too often the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at DirecTV. Adding in the hearsay advice of an internet forum on a matter that could cost you hundreds of dollars is ...well....:)

I kinda think the folks at ACT know what they're talking about, but you're right, I'd have to find out more before I start fiddling around with my leased 20-700s.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I called ACT the other day about a concern I had and remembered to ask them if the 20s were recoverable. Their answer was "no".

If they are not recoverable, does this mean I can put big HDDs in them with violating the TOS? Do we now own them?

Rich

I believe non recoverable boxes are still leased, so opening them is a violation of the TOS, and you can't sell them or have them activated on a different account.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Just called ACT and the CSR I talked to wasn't sure, so she put me on hold and checked. According to her the 20s are NOT recoverable, cannot be sold as "owned" or in any other way since they cannot be activated on any other account.

They will still be treated as an "owned" receiver if you have one and will be replaceable as "owned" if you have the PP.

Take that for what it's worth. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

I believe non recoverable boxes are still leased, so opening them is a violation of the TOS, and you can't sell them or have them activated on a different account.

That's what the ACT CSR just told me. She did kinda agree that opening them up would be kinda hard to prove, since they're not taking them back.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

I deactivated an HR22-100, an H21-200, and an HR20-700.
FWIW they only sent recovery boxes for the HR22-100 & H21-200.
It's been long enough that if there was a problem they would have messed with me by now. But next time I need to call gotta remember to ask about it just in case.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#13 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

So, I called twice (first time got cut off as CSR was 'checking into it').

I confirmed with the second CSR that they are no longer taking back the HR20-100s.

And I do have the name and number of the CSR to CMA.

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Rich

Technically you violate the lease agreement with that receiver. However since we no longer want them back it won't matter as the worst case scenario is you would have been chaarged for any modifications/damage that had to be reversed.

I confirmed with the second CSR that they are no longer taking back the HR20-100s.

They're not recoverable and it's all H20 and HR20 models not just the -100.

They cannot be sold/transfered as they will stay leased. Use them until they die basically and after that recycle them.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Technically you violate the lease agreement with that receiver. However since we no longer want them back it won't matter as the worst case scenario is you would have been chaarged for any modifications/damage that had to be reversed.

They're not recoverable and it's all H20 and HR20 models not just the -100.

They cannot be sold/transfered as they will stay leased. Use them until they die basically and after that recycle them.

I believe Best Buy has a FREE recycling program.

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Exact same experience here. Actually I called several CSR's and they told me they no longer took them back, even got an email from support stating the same thing. A month later I get a bill for several hundred dollars in non-return fees. So don't believe a word you hear from a CSR. Hang on to that HR20 until you get your final bill.

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

DirecTV wanted my HR20 back last October.

1-800-DIRECTV is a free call. I would call and get the answer and ask for documentation.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Exact same experience here. Actually I called several CSR's and they told me they no longer took them back, even got an email from support stating the same thing. A month later I get a bill for several hundred dollars in non-return fees. So don't believe a word you hear from a CSR. Hang on to that HR20 until you get your final bill.

That's my plan -- keep it until the end of August, and if they haven't charged me by then, to Best Buy it goes.

#19 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Who knows. I recently deactivated my HR-20 2 months ago and they field scrapped it. Did my dad's last week, and they want his back. Same vintage HR-20, both out of contract.

Go figure

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Wonder if anyone is collecting HR20's for parts for some die hards, like me, who prefers to keep them running. I use OTA on both of mine and in one location it would not be possible to add an AM21, due to space limitations.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

spam firewall