Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Save me a call to DTV -- do they still want HR20s back?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I guess I'm a wee bit late to the party on this one.....I have an HR-20 that's about 6 years old. It's slowing down a bit but it still runs. Over the last few months I've received several emails from DTV telling me I am entitled to a free upgrade. If I go online they want to send me an HR-24. Are they doing this out of the goodness of their heart or trying to get rid of the old boxes.........or????

Any reasons why I should or should not do this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

You will likely not get an HR24. Maybe an HR21 or HR22 (both are garbage, crap, junk).

#23 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I guess I'm a wee bit late to the party on this one.....I have an HR-20 that's about 6 years old. It's slowing down a bit but it still runs. Over the last few months I've received several emails from DTV telling me I am entitled to a free upgrade. If I go online they want to send me an HR-24. Are they doing this out of the goodness of their heart or trying to get rid of the old boxes.........or????

Well, one would be you may not get an HR24! They don't promise one, you get what they bring which could be an HR21 series, just as well.

BE CAREFUL. More than one person here got the impression they were going to get an HR24 and got HR21s. If your sole reason for making the change is to get an HR24, then don't do it. The only way you can be sure to get an HR24 is to buy one (it will still be leased) from Solidsignal.com, or some such. You might get D* to give you credits for your cost.

You can, however get an HMC or HR34, because it is unique. It has 5 tuners and retails for $399. You might check and see if in your "upgrade" they will specify the HR34 and find out what they want. Depending on your status with them, you could get it for anything from free up to $199.

Don't believe any CSR (or anyone else for that matter) who guarantees you an HR24. They can't and they will ...shall we say...."make mistakes" or "miscommunicate", leaving you to spend hours on the phone trying to clear up the mess that follows.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

An upgrade is getting a different type of receiver. Ordering a HD DVR to replace an HD DVR can result you in the same box and a new agreement.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

They call it an upgrade and just to see......I went through the prompts on the website and there was an HR24 in my "cart". Cancelled out of it because I wanted to check here first so let me rephrase the question..

If DTV is really offering a fee upgrade to an HR 24, and it seems they are, is that something worth doing? I don't use the OTA enough to make a difference.

#26 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

They call it an upgrade and just to see......I went through the prompts on the website and there was an HR24 in my "cart". Cancelled out of it because I wanted to check here first so let me rephrase the question..

If DTV is really offering a fee upgrade to an HR 24, and it seems they are, is that something worth doing? I don't use the OTA enough to make a difference.

You can use OTA with it just fine by adding an AM21 tuner to the HR24. It is about $50.00 bucks, and they work very well. I have two of them (on HR21 and H21 units)

So, if a new Hr24 is worth a 2 year contract, go for it. Keep all your records carefully, in case what shows up is an Hr21 or Hr22.:)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#27 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

So the reason behind this is that my contract expired some time ago and they want to be sure I don't leave?

New 2 year deal isn't a problem ,I don't have many options.

Is the HR24 that much better?

#28 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes. :up:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#29 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

So the reason behind this is that my contract expired some time ago and they want to be sure I don't leave?

New 2 year deal isn't a problem ,I don't have many options.

Yes, it is much faster, and yes, they want you to lock in, so they are offering an incentive.

I've been with them since '94 or '95 and have an HR20-700 that is getting really old, but still works (sluggishly at times, quite snappy at others). Some time soon, I expect to "upgrade" to an HR34, if they make the deal sweet enough. Then I'll be in for another 2 year contract.:)

The HR34 has 5 tuners instead of the 2 that the HR24 has, and it has a 1 TB drive instead of what I think the 24 has (500 gig).

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#30 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Im still waiting for my kit for a HR20-700 from Feb 16. My HR20-700 is sitting on a shelf in my basement. I haven't been charged for it. So I guess Wahooq is right

JACK,

#31 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Im still waiting for my kit for a HR20-700 from Feb 16. My HR20-700 is sitting on a shelf in my basement. I haven't been charged for it. So I guess Wahooq is right

D* has been so inconsistent with both its behavior as well as its communications that I wouldn't get rid of that HR20-700 any time soon.

I'm sorry to say so, but I no longer trust anything D* says. They have a good service and a nice developmental history for their boxes, but they are among the absolute worst communicators I have ever dealt with.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#32 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

D* has been so inconsistent with both its behavior as well as its communications that I wouldn't get rid of that HR20-700 any time soon.

I'm sorry to say so, but I no longer trust anything D* says. They have a good service and a nice developmental history for their boxes, but they are among the absolute worst communicators I have ever dealt with.

Agreed thats why I have it on a shelf in my basement :)

JACK,

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

But then how long do you keep them? Get rid of them with the tax records for the year you disconnected? A year?

#34 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

But then how long do you keep them? Get rid of them with the tax records for the year you disconnected? A year?

Until I get tired of looking at it :lol:

JACK,

#35 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Until I get tired of looking at it :lol:

+1

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#36 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

until I have chance to blast shotgun at it like the 2 H21's last year.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#37 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

until I have chance to blast shotgun at it like the 2 H21's last year.

!rolling

JACK,

#38 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

A fee would only be applied if the receiver was deactivated before the official date it went on the non return list. In that case they would just cancel it and all would be normal in about 5 minutes.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#39 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

They're not recoverable and it's all H20 and HR20 models not just the -100.

They cannot be sold/transfered as they will stay leased. Use them until they die basically and after that recycle them.

So let's see if I understand D* position on this (I understand you don't speak for D*):

• D* doesn't want H[R]20 back
  • D* still considers them leased and therefore D* property
Which effectively means customers have to hang on to them for eternity. They can't be recycled as that would imply that the customer owns them.

Does anyone in D* management have a single brain cell?

D* should either send a recovery kit or send a letter terminating the lease on the specific model/serial number.

BUT, if they sent the letter then guess who is stuck paying the electronic recycling fee? I realize that there are some places that will recycle for free (BestBuy mentioned earlier in this thread) but many people don't live within a reasonable distance. At a minimum there is the cost of gas and wear to deliver the device for recycling.

So in my mind if D* isn't going to recover the device for free then they, along with letter, need to credit the customers account for disposal costs (maybe $20?). After all, why is D* not recovering them? To save themselves these costs!

Management should finish planning for the entire lifecycle of their lease program. Which should have been done from the beginning.

FYI I have an H20 and an HR20 that were terminated a few weeks ago.

#40 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

So let's see if I understand D* position on this (I understand you don't speak for D*):

• D* doesn't want H[R]20 back
  • D* still considers them leased and therefore D* property
Which effectively means customers have to hang on to them for eternity. They can't be recycled as that would imply that the customer owns them.

Does anyone in D* management have a single brain cell?

D* should either send a recovery kit or send a letter terminating the lease on the specific model/serial number.

BUT, if they sent the letter then guess who is stuck paying the electronic recycling fee? I realize that there are some places that will recycle for free (BestBuy mentioned earlier in this thread) but many people don't live within a reasonable distance. At a minimum there is the cost of gas and wear to deliver the device for recycling.

So in my mind if D* isn't going to recover the device for free then they, along with letter, need to credit the customers account for disposal costs (maybe $20?). After all, why is D* not recovering them? To save themselves these costs!

Management should finish planning for the entire lifecycle of their lease program. Which should have been done from the beginning.

FYI I have an H20 and an HR20 that were terminated a few weeks ago.

People can dispose of them as they wish or keep them if they are still working. Best Buy does free electronics recycling as do a lot of mom and pop computer stores. One couldnt sell them as they are remaining leased in order to get out of circulation. There are many ways to dispose of electronics with little or no hassle
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall