Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Save me a call to DTV -- do they still want HR20s back?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Dumbfounded why the aren't recovering HR20's any more(probably their 2nd best model now) but are still recovering the total POS 21's and the 20's other succesors....

They are getting old, the 20-700s I have left are used only as servers and they're really good at that. Yeah, they were the best HR until the 24s, but age catches up to everything. I started the year off with eight 20-700s, now I'm down to six. Slowly, they fail... :nono2:

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Dumbfounded why the aren't recovering HR20's any more(probably their 2nd best model now) but are still recovering the total POS 21's and the 20's other succesors....

They don't support 3D, which DirecTV is trying to help establish. They are old and may start having more issues other than hard drives. The one model takes a special setup for Whole Home DVR that a lot of techs seem not to be able to get to work right, etc. Hardware depreciation tax wise like someone else said.

There are quite a few reasons why they are being EOL'd.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#123 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

The thing I dont understand about DirecTV's' stance with returning their equipment that we lease is their refusal to release the customer, in writing, of the need to return equipment (access cards, older model recievers like the HR-20) DirecTV has privately decided, but not publically announced, they no longer want to recover. Not sending a recovery kit and/or verbal assurances do not constitute a legal release. It's just not good business to leave people in limbo like this.

Edited by tkrandall, 10 August 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#124 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

They are getting old, the 20-700s I have left are used only as servers and they're really good at that. Yeah, they were the best HR until the 24s, but age catches up to everything. I started the year off with eight 20-700s, now I'm down to six. Slowly, they fail... :nono2:

Rich

I just deactivated my last HR20. It was installed 5 years ago. Certainly the hard drive has reached end of life. DirecTv can't want to send that HR20 back out to the field to someone else just to have it fail in a year. That would be very expensive.

BTW. The CSR told me to discard my HR20. I'm waiting for my envelope to return the acccess card arrives.

#125 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

My two HR20-700s are still ticking and not missing a beat. I have had them since late 2006.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#126 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

I just deactivated my last HR20. It was installed 5 years ago. Certainly the hard drive has reached end of life. DirecTv can't want to send that HR20 back out to the field to someone else just to have it fail in a year. That would be very expensive.

BTW. The CSR told me to discard my HR20. I'm waiting for my envelope to return the acccess card arrives.

The HDD isn't really a problem, just put an external device and HDD on it.

Rich

#127 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

My two HR20-700s are still ticking and not missing a beat. I have had them since late 2006.

Same here!

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#128 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I have 3 vintage 2003 boxes (1 receiver and 2 directivos). that have been off line for 2-5 years when I upgraded to hd dvrs. Directv has never asked for the access cards. Nor released me in writing of them either.

Edited by tkrandall, 11 August 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#129 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

The HDD isn't really a problem, just put an external device and HDD on it.

Rich

Actually I was talking about the statistical Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) of the drive in the machine. Once you hit 5 years, you're statistically pushing your luck that a drive will fail. For instance, in google's disk drive study, they found that in the third year 6.8% of all hard drives failed.

In my particular case, the hard drive that shipped with my HR20 is still new. I had replaced that drive with a 750GB internal model the day I got the HR20.

#130 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Actually I was talking about the statistical Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) of the drive in the machine. Once you hit 5 years, you're statistically pushing your luck that a drive will fail. For instance, in google's disk drive study, they found that in the third year 6.8% of all hard drives failed.

In my particular case, the hard drive that shipped with my HR20 is still new. I had replaced that drive with a 750GB internal model the day I got the HR20.

I'm just using my 20-700s as servers now. They seem to be happier... :lol:

Rich

#131 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have 3 vintage 2003 boxes (1 receiver and 2 directivos). that have been off line for 2-5 years when I upgraded to hd dvrs. Directv has never asked for the access cards. Nor released me in writing of them either.

I believe Those are before the time of leased equipment. A I recall leased equipment started in 2004 or 2005.

#132 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

I believe Those are before the time of leased equipment. A I recall leased equipment started in 2004 or 2005.

Regardless of whether the boxes themselves are owned, the cards are property of DIRECTV.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#133 OFFLINE   Dave in Atlanta

Dave in Atlanta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

I've had a similar experience to several of you; when I upgraded (and moved) I was told my semi-faithful HR20-700 would be recovered using a box they promised to send.

6 weeks later, after a 90 minute phone call to Billing to straighten out the absolute mess DTV had made of my billing, I asked the CSR when I'd get the box. Now she says it is non-recoverable, and that's why they never sent a box.

After asking and checking multiple times, she told me they didn't want it, and she was notating my account. She may have actually done so...

So, I see that HR20s are selling on Ebay for $90 - 150. But they are all labelled as "owned". Mine was leased and is now an orphan. Do I have the right to sell it, and can another DTV subscriber actually use it?

#134 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

I've had a similar experience to several of you; when I upgraded (and moved) I was told my semi-faithful HR20-700 would be recovered using a box they promised to send.

6 weeks later, after a 90 minute phone call to Billing to straighten out the absolute mess DTV had made of my billing, I asked the CSR when I'd get the box. Now she says it is non-recoverable, and that's why they never sent a box.

After asking and checking multiple times, she told me they didn't want it, and she was notating my account. She may have actually done so...

So, I see that HR20s are selling on Ebay for $90 - 150. But they are all labelled as "owned". Mine was leased and is now an orphan. Do I have the right to sell it, and can another DTV subscriber actually use it?

There could be a question of DirecTV not selling the new owner of the HR20 a new card for use in the older HR20 units. I think I saw where they will not activating any of them anymore.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#135 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,421 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

A leased unrecoverable box is still a lease and cannot be sold. The ones on eBay could actually be owned. It all comes down to what the access card department says when given the RID. As for not activating them anymore, I don't think that's necessarily the case. I know you can't buy a really old box that doesn't have an RID and have it added to your account, but that does not include the HR20.

#136 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

A leased unrecoverable box is still a lease and cannot be sold. The ones on eBay could actually be owned. It all comes down to what the access card department says when given the RID. As for not activating them anymore, I don't think that's necessarily the case. I know you can't buy a really old box that doesn't have an RID and have it added to your account, but that does not include the HR20.

The owned 20-700s can still be sold and activated. No leased 20-700s will be activated unless it has never been activated. I called and asked. Kinda hard to find a 20-700 that has never been activated.

Rich

spam firewall