Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Locals - City By City (v3)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
376 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sweet! No more Masterpiece trashed by fog! Niners in Aich-Dee every week!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

They are currently in testing... have been for two weeks now.

Expect to see them "SOON!" :)

~Alan

Apologies for asking what has probably been asked many times before but:
What is a typical time frame for locals to go from test to active? Nationals seem to go live the Wed after they appear in test. How about locals? And is it also a Wed (he asks eagerly)?

David

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Apologies for asking what has probably been asked many times before but:
What is a typical time frame for locals to go from test to active? Nationals seem to go live the Wed after they appear in test. How about locals? And is it also a Wed (he asks eagerly)?

David

Well, Lafayette, LA has been in testing since July 12 and has yet to be activated. Back in 2010, my locals took a week or two. So... it really depends on the market...

Generally on Wednesday, correct.

~Alan

#44 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

but:
What is a typical time frame for locals to go from test to active? And is it also a Wed (he asks eagerly)?

David

The longest I can recall: over two years in *TEST.

A very UNscientific seat-of-the-pants average for locals: 4 weeks. There are just many, many factors involved.

And historically - on Wednesday morning. These last few weeks have been a whole new game though, with LIL channels coming alive during the week.

Yeah, I know, not good answers......
Sorry.

#45 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the attempts to answer. So the executive summary is:

Somewhere between 1 week and 2 years! On a Wednesday.

:)

#46 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the attempts to answer. So the executive summary is:

Somewhere between 1 week and 2 years! On a Wednesday.

:)

Lafayette, LA is reporting that their HD-LiL is showing up in the mobile app for tomorrow, so odds are good it will be live in the morning.

If you have access to the mobile app, you can check every Tuesday and most likely get a heads up...

~Alan

#47 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Those 52 'MPEG4-Only' Markets are defined in the "LIL Market List" tab of the TPN MAP Excel. We also have many LIL Networks, like Net 692 - St. Joseph, MO - that are all MPEG4 except for a single imported PBS or CW still provided in MPEG2.

Oh I realize this gct;

I was just saying that I thought it would be more interesting to see the geographical distribution of the two different market types on the map.

Like on the "City name" chart Alan is now maintaining where the older markets with locals on 99/101/103 HD/SD (MPEG-2/4) are "mainly" colored in light green, and the MPEG-4 only in dark blue.

Minor variations like the yellow and diluted yellow colors for SD MPEG-4 and MPEG-2/4 simulcast channels may be included in the first two main color descriptions for the abbreviated purposes of the geo- map display.

#48 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Lafayette, LA is reporting that their HD-LiL is showing up in the mobile app for tomorrow, so odds are good it will be live in the morning.

If you have access to the mobile app, you can check every Tuesday and most likely get a heads up...

~Alan

I'm looking at the DirecTV app on the iPad and I don't see *any* locals (SD or HD) listed in the channel guide. (I do have SD locals currently available on the HR-2x itself.) Is there somewhere else I should be looking? :confused:

#49 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm looking at the DirecTV app on the iPad and I don't see *any* locals (SD or HD) listed in the channel guide. (I do have SD locals currently available on the HR-2x itself.) Is there somewhere else I should be looking? :confused:

That's probably because they are testing and you have "Hide SD Duplicates" on.

What does it tell you on the app if you go forward to tomorrow night?

~Alan

#50 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

That's probably because they are testing and you have "Hide SD Duplicates" on.

What does it tell you on the app if you go forward to tomorrow night?

~Alan

You are correct that I had "Hide SD Duplicates" on and that if I turn it off, the locals appear. Of course I wouldn't have expected it to hide the SD stuff until the locals were in HD!

If I leave Hide HD Duplicates ON and look at the "Guide" page on the iPad and go to tomorrow or a day or two after, the guide does NOT magically change to show my locals. I guess you are saying the list of stations would be updated if the HD locals were going to turn on tomorrow.

Thanks for trying to help here. I guess I'll just see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully I get a nice surprise. I know a number of other people in the local area who will be happy when it happens. :)

#51 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

If I leave Hide HD Duplicates ON and look at the "Guide" page on the iPad and go to tomorrow or a day or two after, the guide does NOT magically change to show my locals. I guess you are saying the list of stations would be updated if the HD locals were going to turn on tomorrow.

That was my thinking... yes.

Thanks for trying to help here. I guess I'll just see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully I get a nice surprise. I know a number of other people in the local area who will be happy when it happens. :)

I'm doubtful they will show up tomorrow given that the trick is working with Lafayette, LA tomorrow, but we could be surprised. Hopefully they will soon...

I didn't have ANY locals until 2010, so I know how the anticipation gets to you. I'm lucky in that most of mine were only in testing for a week before going live, but the months leading up to that was surely nail-biting worthy. :lol:

~Alan

#52 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Alan here in Dothan, Al our NBC is out of NEW YORK ON DIREC .On dish NBC is out of PANAMA CITY FL.WHAT THE REASON WE NOT GETTING NBC HERE?

#53 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Alan here in Dothan, Al our NBC is out of NEW YORK ON DIREC .On dish NBC is out of PANAMA CITY FL.WHAT THE REASON WE NOT GETTING NBC HERE?

It's possible it has to do with DirecTV's Panama City, FL spot-beam. It may not reach all of the Dothan, AL DMA with a good enough signal. There could be other reasons though. I just don't know...

DirecTV offers local CW (SD) affiliate here, and Dish Networks offers New York's WPIX (CW SD). It just depends a lot on the provider...

~Alan

#54 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Even though it is in the specific thread, thought it should be pointed out here for the map and whatnot that Lafayette, LA went live this morning.

#55 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Baldmaga. I've had a very busy morning and might have missed it otherwise. The map has been updated and sent to Alan.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#56 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Alas, no Santa Cruz-Monterey-Salinas HD locals today.

#57 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm hoping Bakersfield and Monterey go live next week. After waiting several long years and over three years after they were originally scheduled, it would be nice if in the end they went live ahead of the September date I was told a couple months back. It won't make me forget all the years I've been waiting for them while every other carrier in my area had them, but it would be one tiny victory in what has been a long tedious battle. I'm still waiting for something to go wrong.

#58 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Alas, no Santa Cruz-Monterey-Salinas HD locals today.

I share your 'alas'. But please note:

DMA 124 just went live HD LIL today. Monterey/Salinas is DMA 125. I would be willing to bet a few beers you will be next!

#59 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

DMA 124 just went live HD LIL today. Monterey/Salinas is DMA 125. I would be willing to bet a few beers you will be next!

I still don't get the DMA thing. I know it's by household, but Lafayette has 120,000 people and they are #124. Bakersfield has 350,000 and we are #126. Do they assume we live 8 per house?

#60 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hey, I'd be happy to GIVE you a few beers to make that happen! But past performance has indicated that DMA number has not been the precise algorithm DTV uses for choosing what happens and when. But my fingers are crossed. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...