Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Locals - City By City (v3)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
376 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I still don't get the DMA thing. I know it's by household, but Lafayette has 120,000 people and they are #124. Bakersfield has 350,000 and we are #126. Do they assume we live 8 per house?

Check out the 'LIL Market List' tab in the TPN Map Excel. According to Nielsen the "TV Households" for 2012 is:

229,320 for Lafayette, LA
223,620 for Monterey, CA
221,920 for Bakersfield, CA

all three DMAs lost position (had a lesser count, or negative growth) from 2011 to 2012.

You can disagree with how Nielsen defines a marketing area or perhaps how they count 'TV Households'. But remember, they apply the same rules from DMA to DMA. A whole lot of decisions are based on the Nielsen benchmarks.

Now - why do you live 8 per house?
  • captaink5217 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Check out the 'LIL Market List' tab in the TPN Map Excel. According to Nielsen the "TV Households" for 2012 is:

229,320 for Lafayette, LA
223,620 for Monterey, CA
221,920 for Bakersfield, CA

all three DMAs lost position (had a lesser count, or negative growth) from 2011 to 2012.

You can disagree with how Nielsen defines a marketing area or perhaps how they count 'TV Households'. But remember, they apply the same rules from DMA to DMA. A whole lot of decisions are based on the Nielsen benchmarks.

Now - why do you live 8 per house?

Wow, so almost every person in Lafayette owns two homes.

#63 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

I suppose my market suffers because we are only 100 miles north of Los Angeles, 100 miles south of Fresno, and 100 miles east of Santa Barbara.

#64 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

I still don't get the DMA thing. I know it's by household, but Lafayette has 120,000 people and they are #124. Bakersfield has 350,000 and we are #126. Do they assume we live 8 per house?

DMAs are the coverage area of the stations, not the population of the titular town. I live in Columbia, MD, which is part of he Baltimore DMA. The city has about 620,000 people. The DMA is about 1.1 million households. It all depends on what is in the area.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#65 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Just did some cursory homework: antzona is absolutely correct!

120,623 Lafayette city
554,517 Lafayette statistical marketing area

347,483 Bakersfield city
839,631 Bakersfield statistical marketing area

The Nielsen data is correct as shown. But like antzona, the more I learn, the less I understand it....

#66 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

The market I live in consists of 18 counties.
The market I was born in consists of seven counties.

While the market I live in is higher on the rankings, it has been losing ground these past few years, yet the market I was born in has been climbing the charts.

Granted, the market I live in is mostly rural and a good percentage live below the poverty level, whereas the market I was born in is in between two major metropolitan cities.

~Alan

#67 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

DMAs are the coverage area of the stations, not the population of the titular town. I live in Columbia, MD, which is part of he Baltimore DMA. The city has about 620,000 people. The DMA is about 1.1 million households. It all depends on what is in the area.

Yeah, I understand that, but that still doesn't explain a lot of inconsistencies. Look at gct's post. Bakersfield's statistical market is 60% larger than that of Lafayette, but we are below them on the DMA list. How can they have more households with 550,000 people compared to the 840,000 in the Bakersfield market?

#68 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

I noticed on the chart it shows Utica,NY MyTV is listed as HD only, but it is actually SD only

#69 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, I understand that, but that still doesn't explain a lot of inconsistencies. Look at gct's post. Bakersfield's statistical market is 60% larger than that of Lafayette, but we are below them on the DMA list. How can they have more households with 550,000 people compared to the 840,000 in the Bakersfield market?

The Nielsen DMAs don't necessarily match up with the Census Bureau's MSAs.

Here's the best free map I could find of the DMA boundaries and counties -- the Bakersfield DMA only covers about half of Kern County, California (the rest is in the Los Angeles DMA); the Lafayette DMA covers a number of parishes.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#70 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

If there are bordering markets, that makes a difference. A town that has less around it gets a bigger market geographically. In my case, baltimore and Washington are different markets for Nielsen even though many things are shared. If Washington were not so close, the Baltimore market would be much larger geographically. It would include the area that today is DC and its suburbs (not with as much population as is there now obviously, but much larger in numbers than today).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#71 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I think the problem could be with how the Bakersfield area is calculated. There are obviously people that would fall into their DMA outside of the city, but there is less fringe area with more DMA's in California than Louisiana. Lafayette's "market reach" may also jump into Lake Charles, Baton Rouge or Alexandria where Bakersfield could dip into many more different areas.

#72 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Here's the best free map I could find of the DMA boundaries and counties -- the Bakersfield DMA only covers about half of Kern County, California (the rest is in the Los Angeles DMA); the Lafayette DMA covers a number of parishes.

One has to remember that Bakersfield is at the bottom of a U shaped valley, so the signals have limited reach, especially to the South and West. Two of the transmitters, comprising 3 network stations, however, are on the top of a mountain that does allow some signals to go East. The other transmitters are on a lower mountain that limits their range.

#73 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Using your link I was able to "sleuth" this link:

http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/

This has all the STATE maps as well, including this one:

Posted Image

It makes it a little more clear what is part of the Lafayette DMA. You can then research how many people live in each Parish on the map. Looks like that in a nutshell, it is all Parishes surrounding Lafayette Parish, and then a few more. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#74 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

I noticed on the chart it shows Utica,NY MyTV is listed as HD only, but it is actually SD only

This is an interesting conundrum.

I am sure you are receiving WUTR (21) MNT in SD only. And the Directv website page for locals also concurs - MNT 21 is not available in HD.

Alan's Chart in this thread shows that channel as HD because of the way it shows up in our 'TPN MAP' data. The data shows this channel from TPN 1 of the SW2 sat, and clearly in MPEG4 compression. That typically indicates an HD channel. However...

Today all Directv HD channels are transmitted in MPEG4; HD channels are no longer transmitted in MPEG2 because of the wasted bandwidth. The HD transition from MPEG2 to MPEG4 happened just a few years ago.

While all HD channels are now in MPEG4 and most SD channels are still typically in MPEG2, this appears to be a case where standard def program content is being provided in MPEG4. We can clearly distinguish the MPEG4 compression - but that has nothing to do with the resolution of the program content that is being carried.

I am sure Alan will note your posting and update the Utica Chart accordingly.

And thanks for the input!!

#75 OFFLINE   Montel

Montel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Anyone see anything new on 8/29 for Monterey/Salinas??

I get everything via antenna currently - but it would be nice to get rid of the extra stuff and not worry about a few shows that get poor reception due to fog...

Plus my neighbor is getting installed today or tomorrow and I was suggesting they get an antenna...

#76 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Anyone see anything new on 8/29 for Monterey/Salinas??

Unfortunately, a start date is not known here, at least that I've noticed anyway.

Hopefully it won't be much longer... :)

~Alan

#77 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I added up all those parishes around Lafayette and the population is around 475,000 according to the 2010 census. Considering the western "half" of Kern County, which makes up the Bakersfield DMA has close to 800,000 people. These DMAs still make zero sense, unless you assume that people in my county live 8 per household.

The Eastern "half" of Kern County gets Los Angeles locals, and has a population of around 50,000.

#78 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

Unfortunately, a start date is not known here, at least that I've noticed anyway.

~Alan

Sure hope they get it going by the NFL opening, the Niners in SD on Ch. 32 look like a Leroy Neiman painting as seen through the bottom of a shot glass!

Posted Image

#79 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

New HD locals added

Raliegh/Durham NC

28 WRDC MyNetwork TV HD
40 WUVC Univision HD

#80 OFFLINE   SuperW2

SuperW2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

~Alan

I've been waiting 5 or 6 years for Monterey/Salinas (with a short stint convert to Comcast and back last football season) so another week or two or whatever it's going to be isn't going to matter much!!

Would have been nice for Opening of College Football today (will have to watch my Huskers in SD on ABC, but I'm used to that by now!) :nono:

Appreciate the news that it won't be long (fingers crossed that this won't be another 2 year test cycle).

spam firewall