Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Locals - City By City (v3)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
376 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sigh . . . another football weekend, with all network college games and Sunday night NFL only available from DirecTV in SD. Hope Monterey HD locals will emerge from testing before the season progresses much further but am prepared for disappointment.

I know the feeling. We are the last two markets in California without our locals in HD. Maybe we'll be out of test mode by Wednesday.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   matrixj3

matrixj3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

I talked to a tech that said the same thing...by the end of October for Corpus Christi and the rest.
A lot of people cash in their vacation time for the holidays which is good for us!

#103 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Any word when Rochester MN-Mason City IA-Austin MN will get there local HD channels besides on or before December 31 ?

#104 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Any word when Rochester MN-Mason City IA-Austin MN will get there local HD channels besides on or before December 31 ?

Sorry... I haven't read anything beyond 2012.

~Alan

#105 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 155 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Other than knowing they have been announced for 2012, we don't have anything to go on besides *soon*. I'm in the Fargo DMA and I'm playing the waiting game just like you - ours are expected in December.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#106 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sigh . . . another football weekend, with all network college games and Sunday night NFL only available from DirecTV in SD. Hope Monterey HD locals will emerge from testing before the season progresses much further but am prepared for disappointment.

Yeah, here in Royal Oaks you can't get Ch. 32-1 which is the main local HD channel for the Niners all season. Lucked out yesterday with the game on Fox but mostly we have to rely of Ch. 32-1 for HD Niners. Now we're hearing "end of October"--screw that!

#107 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, here in Royal Oaks you can't get Ch. 32-1 which is the main local HD channel for the Niners all season. Lucked out yesterday with the game on Fox but mostly we have to rely of Ch. 32-1 for HD Niners. Now we're hearing "end of October"--screw that!

32-1 is CBS, right? Since the 49ers are an NFC team, their main channel is Fox. The only games that would be on CBS are Sunday afternoon games with an AFC team visiting, which is something that only happens twice a year.

I'll even look it up for you: October 7th vs. the Bills and December 9th vs. the Dolphins -- those are the only two 49ers games this season that will air on CBS. (Nine, including yesterday's, air on Fox.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#108 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Actually 32-1 is local Fox. When DNS Fox-West isn't carrying the Niners game, 32-1 always carries it based on some local arrangement deal. Yes, sometimes individual games will get picked up on DNS Fox-West, ESPN or CBS as well, which for now will be the only path to an HD Niners game.

Migod but those little bastards are blurry in SD!!

Edited by Maruuk, 10 September 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#109 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

What's a "TPN Map"?

Please just follow Alan's link in the post following yours. That first post in the TPN Map thread always provides an Excel file which provides all the data. All the data is updated at least weekly. This is the information that is the basis for most of our discussions. The 'TPN MAP' is a mapping of every channel to the satellite and transponder (virtual and physical) from whence that signal comes.

With the TPN Map you know where each and every channel is received and where that appears on your unit's Signal Strength display.

Check out each of the different 'tabs' in the Excel. There is lots to be learned. And I promise you: we all are still learning....

#110 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

WIYE channel 47 has replaced WBNS channel 10, as the local CBS affiliate for Parkersburg, WV.
http://www.thenewsce..._162729776.html
DirecTV Jan 2008-Dec 2011. Went back to cable...could no longer take watching DirecTV's SD fuzzy vision

#111 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

WIYE channel 47 has replaced WBNS channel 10, as the local CBS affiliate for Parkersburg, WV.
http://www.thenewsce..._162729776.html

I'll update it tomorrow along with something that was reported to me the other day. :)

Thanks!
~Alan

#112 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

For those who didn't notice elsewhere, Topeka, KS HD-LiL is now in testing:

NEW HD MARKET IN TEST

NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
699|*KTWU|11|A3 Topeka 11 KTWU PBS|PBS services from KTWUDT-TV, 11, Topeka, KS
699|*WIBW|13|A3 Topeka 13 WIBW CBS|CBS services from WIBWDT-TV, 13, Topeka, KS
699|*KSNT|27|A3 Topeka 27 KSNT NBC|NBC services from KSNTDT-TV, 27, Topeka, KS
699|*KTMJ|43|A3 Topeka 43 KTMJ-CA FOX|FOX services from KTMJDT-TV, 43, Topeka, KS
699|*KTKA|49|A3 Topeka 49 KTKA ABC|ABC services from KTKADT-TV, 49, Topeka, KS

~Alan

#113 OFFLINE   foothill17

foothill17

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

The local paper recently had an article that indicated that 9/26 (next Wednesday) is the go live date for HD in Bakersfield. That's yet to be seen.

My questions are: Does DTV sometimes switch HDs on early? And what channels will HD locals show up on? Will they be on the current OTA channel numbers?

#114 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

My questions are: Does DTV sometimes switch HDs on early?

Mine were in the guide around 5:00 A.M. instead of the usual 6:00 A.M. on my launch date. I'm not sure I would have been able to activate them at that time though!

You could try the "What's Hot!" TV App though or try to get it through the sports trick... you might be able to take a sneak peek.

And what channels will HD locals show up on? Will they be on the current OTA channel numbers?

NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVITY

NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
524|*KGET|17|A3 Bakersfield 17 KGET NBC|NBC television services from KGETDT-TV, 17, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KERO|23|A3 Bakersfield 23 KERO ABC|ABC television services from KERODT-TV, 23, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KBAK|29|A3 Bakersfield 29 KBAK CBS|CBS television services from KBAKDT-TV, 29, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KUVI|45|A3 Bakersfield 45 KUVI MNT|MNT television services from KUVIDT-TV, 45, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KBFX|58|A3 Bakersfield 58 KBFX FOX|FOX television services from KBFXDT-TV, 58, Bakersfield, CA

Looks like channels 17, 23, 29, 45, and 58.

~Alan

#115 OFFLINE   foothill17

foothill17

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the quick get back. Nothing so far, but I'll probably check daily between now and next Wednesday!! Tks again.

#116 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the quick get back. Nothing so far, but I'll probably check daily between now and next Wednesday!! Tks again.

They've been in test since August 9th. I've been checking every day since then. I didn't believe the article in the Californian was accurate when they said September 26th, but it is looking like they were right. The last week without locals in HD. What will I complain about come Thursday September the 27th. I'm sure Directv will come up with something. :)

#117 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Mine were in the guide around 5:00 A.M. instead of the usual 6:00 A.M.

~Alan

Cant wait for some of your updates to include NY/NJ LIL's

Mainly

WLIW-21 Garden City (PBS) they don't beam in HD (for now), but do have alternates.
WNYE-25 Brooklyn (NY 311 City Government affairs) no HD here either..also with digital alternates.
WPXN-31 Amityville, LI (ION) HD also has alternates ...with ION East itself IN HD soon may translate into NEVER!!

leaving my real want!!!

NJTV-50 Montclair, NJ (PBS) HD WNJN

SOON ..yeah yeah

#118 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Cant wait for some of your updates to include NY/NJ LIL's

Regarding sub-channels, I'm not going to list them unless they're affiliated with a larger network or DirecTV carries them in their LiL.

For instance, my market includes the ABC and The CW sub-channels that DirecTV carries in SD, and the MyNetworkTV sub-channel that they don't. I do not list the two secondary PBS channels, nor BounceTV that is a sub-channel of my FOX station.

#119 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I could have reported it to Tribune, but I sent an e-mail to DirecTV about how my local ABC affiliate who is SD-only on DirecTV has had HD tags this past week. I figured any time I mention my local ABC might help get it added in HD.

Of course, the person reading my E-Mail thought I was requesting my local ABC affiliate in HD, and I surprised the woman who called me by phone when I told her that wasn't why I contacted them.

I explained the problem to her, told her she could go ahead and send a request anyway while she was at it, but she had apparently done her homework prior to calling me as she gave me the old "bandwidth" response again.

It's cruel seeing those "HD" tags next to the programming, maybe they'll get that straightened out shortly... :mad:

~Alan

#120 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Regarding sub-channels, I'm not going to list them unless they're affiliated with a larger network or DirecTV carries them in their LiL.

For instance, my market includes the ABC and The CW sub-channels that DirecTV carries in SD, and the MyNetworkTV sub-channel that they don't. I do not list the two secondary PBS channels, nor BounceTV that is a sub-channel of my FOX station.

I'm sure the subs will never see the light of day on D*
Its their main channel I hold hope for..

spam firewall