Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM/MRV Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

My current setup:
SL3/WB68
HR24
HR22
H22
R15
D11

While on the phone with a rep today making changes to my programming, before hanging up I mentioned the fact that we have had trouble with the R15 missing recordings, having trouble booting up and what sounds (to me) like the hard drive making a "ticking" noise. He told me it could be replaced under the protection plan for free, but I alluded to the fact that I had looked into replacing it with a HR model.

He put me on hold for a few minutes, and came back and suggested that we do a SWM/MRV upgrade on my account, for $199 + $49 install, he said that the CCK would be included.

I told him that I was aware that the D11 and R15 weren't compatible with SWM, and he advised that when they came to do the upgrade that they would be either replaced with H or HR model replacements. Does that sound right?

I'm in contact, so I know I will most likely not qualify for a deal to get it any cheaper -- but if they replace my two aging receivers (I believe both have a mfg date of 2006) with new hi-def models I'm sold. However, I would only want to do it if ALL of the receivers in the house would be MRV capable. Opinions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

The D11 should be replaced with a D12 and the R15 with an R16. Those are SWM compatible, but not Whole Home compatible. Of course the doesn't mean you can't order an HD model to replace one or both.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

The difference is between compatible and capable. They would be swapped out with compatible but not capable with just a WHDVR ugprade.

Edited by Shades228, 12 July 2012 - 08:49 PM.
typo

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

He didn't guarantee it, but he said I would "most likely" receive an H series of some sort in exchange for the D11 and an HR series for the R15. Sounded too good to be true. Glad I told him I'd think it over before pulling out the visa.. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Another question I just thought of--

Say I take the upgrade, and they give me a D12 and R16, and I decide to upgrade these to H or HR receivers later on; how difficult would it be to include them in with the MRV already being shared between my H22, HR22, and HR24?

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,850 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Say I take the upgrade, and they give me a D12 and R16, and I decide to upgrade these to H or HR receivers later on; how difficult would it be to include them in with the MRV already being shared between my H22, HR22, and HR24?

Once they are replaced with Hx2x or HR34 products, they would integrate into your whole home with no problem.

Also, I think the odds are strongly in favor of you getting a D12 and R16. It is very unlikely you would get high-def boxes as SD replacements just for SWM.

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

My current setup:
SL3/WB68
HR24
HR22
H22
R15
D11

While on the phone with a rep today making changes to my programming, before hanging up I mentioned the fact that we have had trouble with the R15 missing recordings, having trouble booting up and what sounds (to me) like the hard drive making a "ticking" noise. He told me it could be replaced under the protection plan for free, but I alluded to the fact that I had looked into replacing it with a HR model.

He put me on hold for a few minutes, and came back and suggested that we do a SWM/MRV upgrade on my account, for $199 + $49 install, he said that the CCK would be included.

I told him that I was aware that the D11 and R15 weren't compatible with SWM, and he advised that when they came to do the upgrade that they would be either replaced with H or HR model replacements. Does that sound right?

I'm in contact, so I know I will most likely not qualify for a deal to get it any cheaper -- but if they replace my two aging receivers (I believe both have a mfg date of 2006) with new hi-def models I'm sold. However, I would only want to do it if ALL of the receivers in the house would be MRV capable. Opinions?

Look at your work order first ...there are some promotions to get whole home going on some accounts
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

It would be simpler to upgrade one to an HD DVR, and the other to an HD receiver. It would be slightly more complicated to replace both with DVRs if everything else is kept. You may want a professional install in that case.

#9 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

I believe my plan will be to replace the r15 with an hr24 and the d11 with an h25 from solid signal, then calling to do the MRV upgrade. Dont want the people that use the older receivers to be left out of the MRV fun lol

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

That works. It's all based on tuner count. If you have 8 tuners or less when they install SWM, they use a setup that has an 8 tuner limit. Of course there is a 16 tuner solution, but requires more work to do (change on the dish etc.) Not to mention a piece of hardware that's $279 off Solid Signal.

spam firewall