Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blockbuster BRD quality?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

I was wondering if I'm just having bad luck or if the Blockbuster Blu Rays are generally scratched. Nearly half(or more) that I get have numerous areas that freeze/skip. We couldn't get the first "The Help" to even load in our player but it would play with numerous long skipped areas in a PS3 and another player. They shipped us a second one and this one would play but still had bad areas(MUCH better than the 1st one). The first one had a lot of scratches and the 2nd one just a few. I did inspect it before playing to be sure it wasn't our DVD player causing the scratches. BTW, cleaning hasn't helped in any case. Is this a common issue? Thanks.

Craig T

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Though I’m vexed by the “various issues” brought on by the recent BB relocation/consolidation, I’ll add that out of the approximate twenty or so Blu-ray discs I’ve “rented”, only one was scratched severely enough that it slightly impeded playback, manifesting as a couple of one-second skips – not nearly bad enough to warrant replacement.

#3 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

4 out of 10 Blurays had bad areas. I had to go to scenes and jump to another scene to continue 2 of them.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I have rented 1 a week for 20 weeks, I had one issue on the 3rd rental, I notified BB. BB recommended cleaning them before playing them.... I have done as they recommended and to date have had zero skips, etc.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Of all the blu-rays that I have gotten (8-10) from them none has had a scratch on them and all played perfectly.

#6 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Thanks guys. I guess I've just had some bad luck. It's possible too that some of the earlier DVD's would have played OK on the new Samsung since the Insignia may have had problems.

Craig T

#7 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

If you got a bad disc, I hope you reported it. They will send a replacement if you need it. With the one bad one that I received so far, the next disc in my queue was sent out immediately, before I mailed the return.

#8 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I reported the one that was real bad and they sent another one. It had scratches too but it mostly played. I did check it prior to playing to make sure my DVD player wasn't causing the scratches. BTW, a lot of the scratches are hard to see using a regular light but showed up readily using a flashlight(dimmer light).

Craig T

#9 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have been with the single disc-at-a-time BBAH program since Dish started it, receiving Blu-rays only, and I have had maybe 4 unplayable discs, and one that was completely broken in the mailer when it arrived. The 4th unplayable Blu-ray, ironically, was the one we went to play last night.

But that's it. Of the more than several dozen we have received and watched, only those 4 or 5 have had issues.

#10 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Every disc I have received has been perfect. Sorry to hear anyone has run into issues.
"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

#11 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

With 15 rentals, I've had one that was unplayable. It looked perfect but just wouldn't play.

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

I got a regular dvd that wouldn't play, I cleaned it and it worked fine after.

#13 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

I would agree that cleaning a disc is sometimes in order when they do not seem to play.

When we were with Netflix, and now with Dish/Blockbuster, the first thing I will do with DVDs/Blu-rays is try cleaning the disc if it does not play. Most times that does do the trick.

#14 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

About half of mine are defective, either unplayable or contain areas that must be skipped, like whole chapters. I've kind of given up on rented discs, just give me streaming, but cut the cost. If you're not buying and shipping discs the price should be a lot lower. I'd rent/view more if the cost was lower.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#15 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

About half of mine are defective, either unplayable or contain areas that must be skipped, like whole chapters. I've kind of given up on rented discs, just give me streaming, but cut the cost. If you're not buying and shipping discs the price should be a lot lower. I'd rent/view more if the cost was lower.

Considering my experience and that of most responders here, I would start to suspect that your player might be defective.

I have only had one disk that had problems in all the time I have been getting disks from Netflix and now Blockbuster.

What brand and model are you using? I've been thinking of getting a BR player but want to avoid the one you have.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#16 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

We just had an amusing experience that I thought I would share. Being that we had to read "The Tale of Two Cities" years ago in school, we but it in our Que. Got the first disk, it comes on two, and found it quite hard to follow and had no subtitles. This was annoying and the same was true of the second disk which we watched last night. The first disk came in the typical envelope which was somewhat bruised from going in and out of the mailer envelopes. The second disk came in a pristine envelope. Seems that no one that watched the first disk even bothered to watch the second one. I kinda wish I had not bothered to watch the second one too.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#17 ONLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

We have gotten 10 - 15 BD since Dish started the program and have had only 2 with major playability problems. Both discs ended up skipping major portions of the movie. Both times we were able to watch enough of the movie to keep from renting it a second time. I didn't think to report the 1st one, but the second one I did report. BTW I always check for scratches or dirt when the disc arrives and it is usually pretty obvious if you are going to have problems. I would speculate most are due to poor handling by customers and some are due to handling at the centers and mail delivery. For the cost overall I think it is worth it as I personally don't have the time to watch as many movies as I see some are able to watch.

#18 OFFLINE   sledhead 700

sledhead 700

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I have had issues with the BR disks with both blockbuster and netflix. I have 3 players and when there is a issue sometimes it will play on one of them. Some do not play past the same spot on all players. These have to be bad disks. I think the BR have more issues with the mailer that the standard dvd. I have had 5 or so that will not play....Just my $.02

#19 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

All of mine have played on my samsung player. I hate all of the trailers. Often start the disc 15 min before we go into the theater to watch. But BluRay is definitely more finicky than standard. I tend to think players are a big issue.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#20 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

My first three BR discs were perfect. My last one arrived broken from the outer edge to the middle (in other words, one side was split, but it was not in two pieces.) Rough handling somewhere along the way, I guess.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...