Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disney Junior debuts on DirecTV Saturday July 14

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Good news! This will make the loss of Nick Jr for the time being (or permanently) a little more bearable for my son. He already enjoys Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, hopefully he'll like some of the other programs :) I also hope they add the onDemand content as I prefer to download episodes for him so there isn't any commercial fillers :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Gotta be HD.

#23 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

F yes Doc McStuffins all day baby
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#24 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

I would guess it is SD.

I don't think the target audience of 2 to 7 years old doesn't really care either. :D

Ugh why oh why are we still getting new SD channels in 2012??

I know, I know. ;)

#25 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Disney Jr? UGH.
It's only tv!

#26 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

If it is in SD, there is no need for alarm...

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#27 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Is it a SD Channel? I noticed that the release didn't say.

The Skeptic in me says if it doesn't say HD it isn't.

Sixto-any idea which bird it'll be on? If it's on 99/103 I would think it would be HD.

#28 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Given the current DIRECTV/Viacom donnybrook, I'm not sure I would have used the phrase "permanently added" in a press release. :)

I believe that Dish has in the past added channels temporarily during their disputes and then taken them away when the contract is settled. So this may be Directv's way of emphasizing that Disney Jr is here to stay and won't disappear if/when things are worked out with Viacom.

The other interesting thing to note here is just how quickly Directv was able to get Disney Jr. on the air. In the HD anticipation thread we occasionally have posts like, "these contract negotiations are so complicated it can take ages for these deals to get worked out." But, apparently, given enough incentive, deals can be cut very quickly.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#29 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

It's in SD :(
Plus no HD logo in the guide.

#30 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

Seriously folks, it is aimed at the 3-7 year old audience. Do you think little kids care that it is isn't HD? Let them save the bandwidth for something good like NatGeo Wild.

#31 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

From some of the sources I have read they have been working on this deal for a few months, Maybe in anticipation or maybe because of demand from consumers. I really don't care which way it was, my 4 yo is happy either way.
I would think that is a Permanent addition to the line-up. They said it in the release, where as in the other releases they said they are opening access to hub,sprout..ect.ect..

#32 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

It looks like the grandfathered plans have Disney Junior as well so that's good. We're on Choice Xtra Classic. The channel listings on-line haven't been updated yet to reflect the new channel yet though.

#33 OFFLINE   bman3333

bman3333

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

A great add IMHO. We have a 3 year old and 6 month old, so we will be using this channel for years to come! Subtract Snookie and NBA wives, pick up Mickey and no junk food ads. Cool!:D

#34 OFFLINE   undertaker67

undertaker67

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

not even in hd what a waste of space and money even getting the channel if any new channels are not in hd forget it might have to look at comcast this is bulls--- directv is going down the drain

#35 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I would like to have it in HD also. But, my son doesn't care if it's HD or SD like adults do. So it makes no difference to me.

It will be nice if HD it added in the future.

#36 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Seriously folks, it is aimed at the 3-7 year old audience. Do you think little kids care that it is isn't HD? Let them save the bandwidth for something good like NatGeo Wild.

I'm, frankly, disappointed and confused as to why, in this day and age, DirecTV would even bother adding a channel that IS available in HD (and Disney Junior is) in SD only. C'mon, this isn't 2005.

While I have some understanding of them not being able to (or deciding not to, for whatever reasons) negotiate for the HD feed on existing SD channels. Why on Earth, as policy (kids' channel, or no), would they negotiate a new channel add and NOT have it be in HD? That should be the default!

And, by the way, my just-turned five-year-old checked out Disney Jr. this morning and said, "I don't like this new channel, cause the shows are too small." (And this is while it was playing on of his favorite shows.) So, yeah, some of them do have some idea of the difference.

Plus, on a serious aesthetic note, little looks better in HD than animation, which is the bulk of Disney Jr's programming.

#37 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

I ask this in all seriousness and with zero snark - does Directv not see HD as anything more than a specialty offering, which they graciously carry, for hardcore technically-oriented subscribers? Is HD seen as a sort of luxury for a fringe demographic?
As those of you above have more-or-less said, it seems almost shocking they'd add a channel that is available in HD in SD. Aside from bandwith issues and such, it's kind of a slap in the face, regardless of the channel's content and intended audience. As was pointed out, animation is stunning in HD, and yet it was passed up. Do they not "get" HD? They've been adding HD basics in a glacial and agonizingly slow way in a time when HD is the wave of the future. What does this tell us?

Edited by RML81, 14 July 2012 - 08:36 AM.
my poor diction

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

I ask this in all seriousness and with zero snark - does Directv not see HD as anything more than a specialty offering, which they graciously carry, for hardcore technically-oriented subscribers? Is HD seen as a sort of luxury for a fringe demographic?
As those of you above have more-or-less said, it seems almost shocking they'd add a channel that is available in HD in SD. Aside from bandwith issues and such, it's kind of a slap in the face, regardless of the channel's content and intended audience. As was pointed out, animation is stunning in HD, and yet it was passed up. Do they not "get" HD? They've been adding HD basics in a glacial and agonizingly slow way in a time when HD is the wave of the future. What does this tell us?

Reasonable question (with some snark but very little).

Only those inside would know the answer but I know it is not limited to DirecTV. Other systems have SD channels that are available in HD and Fios has added SD only in recent months (and hasn't added any HD in quite some time).

We hear conflicting reports of if the HD channels are available within the current contracts or they are not. Probably depends on the channel. Maybe some cannot be added until the contract is up. Maybe some are not worth the investement in equipment.

Whatever the reason, HD as default is far from a done deal for any system. It will be nice when it is.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#39 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

My kids have been totally spoiled by technology. They are 5 and 7 and have problems watching anything that is SD or has commercials. I appreciate the effort by D* but see it for what it is. Another channel added that My family and myself will just skip over because it's in SD.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#40 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

I would like to have it in HD also. But, my son doesn't care if it's HD or SD like adults do. So it makes no difference to me.

It will be nice if HD it added in the future.

Glad it is in SD for me as in recording the movie tonight and Lilo and Stitch and 101 Dalmantions early Sunday Morning as my space on my DVR is at 14 percent and probably 11 percent after taping Richie Rich on ABC Family this morning.

spam firewall