Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viacom Solutions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

I wish they would continue to offer a $5 credit and 8 encore channels in place of the viacom channels. I would even accept the $5 credit. They should offer a $5 reduction on all packages and a viacom extra pack costing $6 for those that want viacom channels and don't want to get them online. I bet viacom would not want this because they are so greedy that they want everybody to pay for their channels and increases whether they want them or not.

Please post other solutions to the viacom situation

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

I wish they would continue to offer a $5 credit and 8 encore channels in place of the viacom channels. I would even accept the $5 credit. They should offer a $5 reduction on all packages and a viacom extra pack costing $6 for those that want viacom channels and don't want to get them online. I bet viacom would not want this because they are so greedy that they want everybody to pay for their channels and increases whether they want them or not.

Please post other solutions to the viacom situation

add epix for $5-$6 and put all the viacom channels in that pack.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

DirecTV drops everyone's bill by $5.00 (permanent).
DirecTV agrees to the 30% increase provided Viacom agrees to allow DirecTV to sell their channels on an Ala Carte basis with all channels being charged the same price (Let' say .25 a channel (26x.25=6.50)).

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

If Viacom agreed to an a-la-carte deal then they would really find out which channels are important to the viewers. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

DirecTV drops everyone's bill by $5.00 (permanent).
DirecTV agrees to the 30% increase provided Viacom agrees to allow DirecTV to sell their channels on an Ala Carte basis with all channels being charged the same price (Let' say .25 a channel (26x.25=6.50)).

I actually think the packaging of the channels is more the issue than the price increase.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

If Viacom agreed to an a-la-carte deal then they would really find out which channels are important to the viewers. :)

A la carte means higher bills for most customers.

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

really I only really want comedy and maybe spike
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I don't disagree with that. I just think that Viacom would find out what channels are really important to the subscriber.

I'm totally against a-la-carte across the DirecTV board just for Viacom.:D
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well, the experts seem to think you're right. But since most 'experts' are just former drips under pressure, I don't hold much stock in what the say.

At worst for most, a la carte would mean no reduction in cost to us in total although each channel might be higher.

Let me give an example. HBO is $16/month and is what 10 channels? That means $1.60 per month per channel. In my setup, I have 38 channels other than premiums that I watch on at least an often enough basis to have them in a custom list, so 38x$1.60=$60.80/month for programming. About $9 less per month than I now pay D* to get those same channels.

In reality it would be even less because some of those 38 channels would get dropped by me since they aren't really watched very often at all.

And I'd still have so much recorded I would always be behind! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

HBO might be 10 channels, but when I had it I only watch one most of the time.

#11 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well, the experts seem to think you're right. But since most 'experts' are just former drips under pressure, I don't hold much stock in what the say.

At worst for most, a la carte would mean no reduction in cost to us in total although each channel might be higher.

Let me give an example. HBO is $16/month and is what 10 channels? That means $1.60 per month per channel. In my setup, I have 38 channels other than premiums that I watch on at least an often enough basis to have them in a custom list, so 38x$1.60=$60.80/month for programming. About $9 less per month than I now pay D* to get those same channels.

In reality it would be even less because some of those 38 channels would get dropped by me since they aren't really watched very often at all.

And I'd still have so much recorded I would always be behind! :)

The problem with that math is channel popularity. Some channels might be more than $1.60, some may be less. If you have any sports channels in there at all such as ESPN, your cost would be a lot higher.

Another thing to think about that most people forget.... is the cost to DirecTV.

Billing is not so complicated now. You have about 10-15 different options, 20 at most with all the big sports premium packages. 5 basic packages as listed on the website (one being Premier, which makes the premium movie packages and sports packages obsolete for this count), HD extra, Sports pack 4 or 5 premiums, and then the out-of-market sports.

With a-la-carte, you may get 200+ different options. More chance to make a mistake. You need more CSR's for people that want to make changes, those CSR's could make a mistake and tick Disney XD instead of Disney JR, or MTV instead of MTV2, people complain about it being wrong, the billing gets screwed up for a number of days....

It adds quite a complexity layer to billing/csr/logistics in general, thus an extra cost for DirecTV. Also, they need to recoup their cost of operating their business in general, which is incorporated into the Choice packages. Only about HALF of that is probably programming cost, the other HALF is.... the cost of doing business, from the leases of their buildings, the salary of their employees, the gas that the trucks drive on, the buying, launching, and managing 24/7 of satellites, the design/development of new equipment, etc, etc.....

In order for a "a la carte" to work, they may have to start you with a $25 BASE fee, which includes.... e.g. the locals (or east/west DNS) and nothing else. (And allows DirecTV to get some money for the cost of doing business) THEN you start adding channels on top of that, keeping in mind the logistics for CSR's to deal with customers wishes for channel changes. And it might have to be more than $25.... I can't really determine how much of the revenue they make is to keep the business going, and how much goes towards programming cost.

Then you will get people that only watch ESPN during football season, and get it in October, drop it in March, or just get it for the 1 or 2 games they want to watch, then drop it....only get AMC during Mad Men, then drop it after the season, etc, etc.... it adds a big layer of complexity and a higher operating cost for DirecTV.

I don't ever see it work like that.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#12 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,054 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Please continue all Viacom/DIRECTV discussion here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=206731

Thank You.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

spam firewall