Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can a laptop get internet access via a DECA and CCK

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

If I have a CCK as part of my set up, can my laptop get internet if I connect the DECA to it, or will they only share internet with DirecTv receivers?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

It breaks out the network signal from the coax and supplies it to the ethernet pigtail. Problem with the laptop, without the receiver, there is nothing to power the deca. Now if you leave the deca plugged into the receiver, and unplug the ethernet and run it to a laptop, the laptop will get the network instead of the receiver. Or you can use an external power supply for the DECA.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Can I attach a DECA to an H24 (coax only, ethernet to laptop). Or will that mess up the H24 since it has a DECA built in?

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

On the H24, when you plug in an ethernet cable, it disconnects the DECA over coax, so you would not get anything. It will only work with an external DECA module, or an HR34.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

If I have a CCK as part of my set up, can my laptop get internet if I connect the DECA to it, or will they only share internet with DirecTv receivers?

You can get a second CCK and get internet through that. A CCK is nothing but prettier DECA that gets powered by a traditional wall wart. Alternatively, you can get a DECA with a power adapter.

Because I live in a 2 story house with no basement, there's no good way to run ethernet wiring that doesn't involve a lot of drywall patching. I've been relying on DECAs for connectivity for a couple years. I have one DECA with a power supply (connected to an Ethernet sprinkler system controller), 3 CCKs (two on PCs, one connected to the router), running in addition to two HR24s. It all works extremely well, they behave like solid 100mbps ethernet connections. Despite very heavy use, I've never had the slightest problem with LAN activities interfering with MRV on my HR24s.

That said, the usual caveats apply - doing something like this is not supported by DirecTV, and if you're having issues, you should return your setup to its normal state before asking DirecTV for help. Because I've added 3 ports for the additional connectivity, the HR24's rate mesh diagnostics were helpful to verify that my DECA signals were all in good shape.

#6 OFFLINE   cbayus

cbayus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

I haven't tried this but hypothetically you can plug the AC powered DECA into a Ethernet switch and then plug the laptop, D* box and any other network equipment you want into the switch.

#7 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

If you have an older HR21-HR23 receiver with 2 ETHERNET ports, then YES you can use the DECA for internet access. I used my laptop in my kitchen where my HR21-700 is installed via DECA/SWiM worked great. I connected into Ethernet port 2 on the HR21. Might not be the best if YOUR receiver is wanting to use the internet at the SAME time as the computer. But you should be ok. You could always use a hub or router at the receiver point as long as the DECA is connected to the HR21-23 receiver for powering the DECA module. HR24-34 has an internal DECA and thus couldn't use this internet "patch-in".
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

DECA has nothing to do with your laptop
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#9 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

So I already have a CCK connected to my router. If I get another CCK (off ebay) and attach it to the coax that the H24 is using (in my office next to laptop ) and then connect the ethernet from that one to my laptop I will have a fast, wired connection for my laptop to use? WI-FI signal is low in my office.

#10 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Get a Receiver DECA and attach it to your H24

Get a Netgear FS105 off amazon.com or something similar and plugin the ethernet from the DECA to the Netgear switch then an Ethernet cable from the Netgear switch to the H24 and another Ethernet to your laptop.

Edited by Rtm, 14 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

A deca that looks like this

http://www.weaknees....adapter-800.jpg

Or this

http://pimages.solid...2SR0_medlrg.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

So I already have a CCK connected to my router. If I get another CCK (off ebay) and attach it to the coax that the H24 is using (in my office next to laptop ) and then connect the ethernet from that one to my laptop I will have a fast, wired connection for my laptop to use? WI-FI signal is low in my office.

Yeah you will.
Get a two way green label splitter to supply signal to the H24 and CCK at the same time.
I have an old house with lathe & plaster and use DECA and CCKs for networking my PS3 and 360 in the living room as well as my Sprint Airrave. They're great devices for networking if you already have cable run to your outlet where you need the wired connection.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Just get a wi-fi extender less issues.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I took the H21 that was in my family room and moved it to my office, putting the H24 out in the family room. At least for now I have live tv and reliable internet in my office. I will pick up an $8 Ethernet switch at microcenter next week so MRV will work again on the H21. Thanks for the advice!

#15 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Yeah you will.
Get a two way green label splitter to supply signal to the H24 and CCK at the same time.
I have an old house with lathe & plaster and use DECA and CCKs for networking my PS3 and 360 in the living room as well as my Sprint Airrave. They're great devices for networking if you already have cable run to your outlet where you need the wired connection.

Sprint airave Lolz

#16 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

I took the H21 that was in my family room and moved it to my office, putting the H24 out in the family room. At least for now I have live tv and reliable internet in my office. I will pick up an $8 Ethernet switch at microcenter next week so MRV will work again on the H21. Thanks for the advice!

You can hook up a DECA to the H24 even though it has an internal one. The Netgear switch on amazon is $9.99 right now with $10 mail in rebate

#17 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Sprint airave Lolz

Ugh don't even get me started on Sprint!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#18 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ugh don't even get me started on Sprint!

They gave me one of those for free but wanted it back when I cancelled it didn't even have 3G hopefully you have the 3g model at least.

#19 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah I do, the newer model that is supposed to transition from the Airave to the real Sprint network seamlessly [it does not, whenever I get home my call drops 90% of the time as the Airrave fights to get ahold of the call]. And it was free..."my data is slow!" "here's this airrave which will make your data faster!" "in my home when I'm always on wifi?" "yes...." "ok then..."
Luckily my ETF is cut in half because of a company discount, so I'm definitely jumping ship when the Next Great Thing comes around. </offtopic>
DirecTV Employee

spam firewall