Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recorded on FX, Playlist said Cinema

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   B_H

B_H

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Last night I recorded one of the Ice Age movies on FXHD, channel 248. When I went to the Playlist, it said the movie had been recorded on Cinema, channel 188 on which that movie is also playing. It gave a cost of $3.99 and said it had to be watched by the end of December. I know for a fact it was recorded on FXHD and I started to play it to prove that it actually came from that channel (it would have commercials). When I clicked to play it, a message said did I really want to pay $3.99 to watch the movie. I replied NO and deleted the program. I assume from that message that recording a Cinema program doesn't get charged until actually watched so I won't get charged.

So what's going on? Is the channel listed in the Playlist simply listed incorrectly or would I be charged $3.99? This was on an HR24.

Also, I don't order movies, and from my TIVO days, I know that a plugged in phone lineis needed to report the order to Directv. Is this still the case, or does the pay per view get reported through my internet connection?

Bottom line: How did that happen/what's going on? Would I have been charged since it was actually on FXHD? How are charges reported to Directv?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm guessing is that you used search and then selected the cinema one on accident.

The charge will not show up unless you had said yes. You can look in your purchase history to verify there will not be a charge. If for whatever reason there is one do not call until it shows up on the bill because they cannot do anything about it until then.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   B_H

B_H

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I didn't do a search, just ran across it when looking thru the Guide. I don't have Cinema on Guide. I know it said FXHD when I hit record. Positive of that!

Thanks for the reply.

#4 OFFLINE   Marzo

Marzo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

The exact same thing happened to me. Recorded it for my kids, charged me $4.00 to watch it. Saw it again on FX on the Guide and when I wanted to record it it took me to a "Buy Now" screen that I couldn't get out of.

#5 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

You could have set up a manual recording of FX for one minute or five minutes prior to the start last night. (Aliens In The Attic was on before) It would have treated it as Aliens In The Attic.

#6 OFFLINE   Marzo

Marzo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Ok, perhaps that might have fixed it, I might try that. But that still doesn't fix the underlying problem.

#7 OFFLINE   smithrh

smithrh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Got this last night on AMC - I saw "Platoon" in the guide and hit either the record or select button. 

Instead of adding it to the "to-do" list, I got a blurb about the Cinema channel and how it had been added to my "Watch Now" list and was available to view immediately.

Sure enough, it's now sitting in my list, with a blue K (for Keep) and a $ sign. 

I went ahead and re-attempted to record via the same method (select when highlighted in the guide) and it recorded properly. 

HR24. Assuming is this just another bug... right?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

while it maybe a "bug" for the users, it is more like "desired" operation for DirecTV.  something along the lines of "instant gratification"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   smithrh

smithrh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Well, I'm not connected (in a data sense) to DTV in any way, so I don't mind if it gets added to the PPV list. But I could see this catching out a few other people that aren't paying attention. 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well, I'm not connected (in a data sense) to DTV in any way, so I don't mind if it gets added to the PPV list. But I could see this catching out a few other people that aren't paying attention. 

hard to miss the two warnings you get when you rent a PPV or DOD event.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   smithrh

smithrh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I've never rented a PPV or DOD, never will, so I really can't compare what I saw with what happens in that case, but in this case, I absolutely could see someone missing it. Hell, if I weren't paying attention I could have missed it. It wasn't obvious. 

spam firewall