Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I want my PAUSE button back...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Removing basic functions of a UI because of a remote redesign seems insane.

I'm sure what happened is the remotes were designed without any thought to the UI and went to production. Down the road some one said Ugh Oh! Lets just change the UI.

I used to use the pause function in the guide all the time and have been starting unwanted shows since.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I must be one of the .00001%. However, until recently I've had so many larger D* problems with the guide and list taking 20 or more seconds to come up or locking up completely, I hadn't had time to inquire about this one. I find it annoying that I can't pause from list or guide. I now realize I did it often.

By the way, the guide and list problems have finally been fixed for me. It seems funny being so grateful for basic functionality to be restored.

Between this, viacom dropped channels, it's probably time to complete the FIOS triple play. All my other FIOS services work great.

Whether or not you choose FiOS is your decision (I'm happy with my choice), but be aware that Verizon (and any other provider) has to negotiate carriage prices with the programmers. Verizon is just as likely as anyone else to drop channels if they can't reach an agreement. And the providers are understandably not forthcoming on when agreements expire. I know this has been discussed in other topics, but I admire DirecTV for not caving in to Viacom's demands. Programmers have been looking at providers as cash cows for too long. They need to realize that advertising rates are based on viewership and the fewer potential viewers the less they can charge advertisers. If more providers would do the same as DirecTV maybe rates wouldn't rise as fast.

#23 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Removing basic functions of a UI because of a remote redesign seems insane.

I'm sure what happened is the remotes were designed without any thought to the UI and went to production. Down the road some one said Ugh Oh! Lets just change the UI.

I used to use the pause function in the guide all the time and have been starting unwanted shows since.

The change being discussed here has an easy work around. Just use pause before going to the guide. Is that really so difficult or complicated? Surely there are more important issues to get riled up about.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

The change being discussed here has an easy work around. Just use pause before going to the guide. Is that really so difficult or complicated? Surely there are more important issues to get riled up about.

It isn't just that it doesn't work. It does the wrong thing. Pause PLAYS a show if you are in the playlist.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

It isn't just that it doesn't work. It does the wrong thing. Pause PLAYS a show if you are in the playlist.

Stop hitting Pause or Play in the play list. Press Exit---> Pause----> LEFT arrow will bring you back where you left off.

#26 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

What if you press Pause BEFORE you go into the guide or playlist. Does the program start playing again, or does it stay paused?

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

What if you press Pause BEFORE you go into the guide or playlist. Does the program start playing again, or does it stay paused?

It still plays the select show.

It is bad GUI design.

Neither do FF or the other controls work any more. FF jumps the time in the guide. What the green button already does.

They took away good functionality supposedly for remotes intended to be used in hotels and through dumb clients. No reason to do so for full up dvrs.

All stupid. Period. End of sentence.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#28 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Stop hitting Pause or Play in the play list. Press Exit---> Pause----> LEFT arrow will bring you back where you left off.

I know the workarounds. It is still wrong.

#29 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

I know the workarounds. It is still wrong.

As earlier mentioned, it was done to accommodate the new remote design. Apparently they thought it was more important to work with the new remote than the way you want it to. Oh well.

#30 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

I too used this functionality frequently and am annoyed it's gone. Can I do it differently? Well, obviously, yes, I can, since I now must. Hardly a showstopper, but it's another "feature" that seems to have vanished. New doesn't always equal better and breaking/altering UI to include LESS functionality is pretty bad design.

#31 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

It still plays the select show.

It is bad GUI design.

Neither do FF or the other controls work any more. FF jumps the time in the guide. What the green button already does.

They took away good functionality supposedly for remotes intended to be used in hotels and through dumb clients. No reason to do so for full up dvrs.

All stupid. Period. End of sentence.

Not with my remote it doesn't. If I pause, then go into the guide and hit play or pause, nothing happens. I have to use the enter key to do that.

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

As earlier mentioned, it was done to accommodate the new remote design. Apparently they thought it was more important to work with the new remote than the way you want it to. Oh well.

And as mentioned earlier, there are other ways to make it work. And to not break functionality for the vast, vast majority that do not not will have the new remotes.

Shoddy planning. Shoddy programming.

#33 OFFLINE   jklipa

jklipa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

This is the most useful reply so far...!

The change of the UI to conform to the remotes wasWAS thoughtless and inconsiderate to those of us long-time customers who have the original remotes because they have BROKEN our pause buttons...

I don't have nor do I want a pause-and-play button...
I want to be able to pause in list or guide...
If it actually did pause live tv when I hit it that would be fine, but it does not...

For now I'll have to learn a new trick... exit-pause-left arrow...!!!

Very inconsiderate move on Dtv's behalf...

Thanks for all the replies, glad I'm not the only one irritated by this...
Misery loves company... :)

#34 OFFLINE   ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

You could have saved a lot of hassle if you came here in February. These changes are by design and are not broken.

It is by design AND broken.

#35 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

but, truthfully the "problem" you describe is so minor that it probably bothers about .00001% of DirecTV's subscribers.

We are the .00001%.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#36 OFFLINE   war59312

war59312

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Very annoying indeed, I'd love to get this back as well.

I've only been with DirectTV for 3 weeks and I still got the "old" remote. Thank God!

So yea sounds pretty stupid for them to break this.

#37 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Yes, but guess what? The remotes are already out there, it's water under the bridge. People need to move on because the ship has sailed.

Could it have been all that difficult for them to have put a page in the remote control setup showing a picture of each remote, and asking which yours looks like. If you select the old one, then the functionality would still work, if the new one, it won't. It seems doable to me.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#38 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

There is a bunch of things they could have done, the problem is they didn't, and the remotes are out in the wild now, so I don't see anything changing.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#39 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

LOL...no doubt. When I first noticed this change....and I used pause alot while in the guide or list...I just changed my behavior. Hit pause, then go into list or guide.

Not so hard to do...figure out....and there's just so much more in life to get upset about. Especially spend alot of time on....
DirecTV Premier
NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice
HR24-100 --> Mits WD52628 (HDMI) and Pioneer VSX1015TX (Toslink)
Bose 601 Series 3 Mains, VS100 Center, 301 Series 3 Surrounds.
Apple TV2, Xbox360, PS3

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

There is a bunch of things they could have done, the problem is they didn't, and the remotes are out in the wild now, so I don't see anything changing.

Really? Who has got them? The remote on the DirecTV webpage is either RF or non-RF but still the full remote.

Aren't these targetted at hotels, who are NOT using HR2x boxes?

Sounds pretty simple to me. HR2x respond one way, hotel units respond a different way.

Edit to add:

From Solid Signal Blog of June 27:

"The back of the RC70H is labeled to tell the user that there's no point in stealing it. RC70H remotes use a different codeset than other DIRECTV remotes so taking one home isn't going to do anyone any good."

Kinda shoots the remote theory to hell, huh?

spam firewall