Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FIOS customers complaining about no new HD - Oh the irony

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

FiOS certainly has impressive speeds for sure;

But to what real benefit in most cases since, how many servers on the internet come close to delivering content at those speeds?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

But to what real benefit in most cases since, how many servers on the internet come close to delivering content at those speeds?

I do it because there's so much stuff running on the line now. 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, a Blu ray player, directv boxes, and a wii. Plus, i download a lot of radio shows so it is faster to do than the lower speeds. Maybe it's overkill but like someone said, it's costs less or the same as the 35/35 price we had bundled with our landline. Honestly, in thinking of this, I remember when I went from 2400 baud dial up to 28.8 and then 56K. I thought id arrived. Imagine using that now!

#43 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

I keep hearing this, but in truth more and more households have more and more streaming devices, and higher speeds are becoming more and more necessary. In my house we have a PC, laptop, 2 BD players, smart TV, Wii, 3 Kindles, 1 Nintendo DSi, 2 iPod Touches, and 2 smartphones. Any and all of which can be connected at the same time. Most of those devices were added within the last 6 - 8 months alone. And there will be more to come (considering at least one more lap top and possibly a tablet). Heck, now that my wife discovered Pandora, she streams it constantly through her iPhone, and I've taken to streaming movies through either the lap top or my smartphone.

#44 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have a question for you. Do you get the 75/35 speed wirelessly? I get around 50/20 that way. I have to use the Ethernet cable to get the faster speed which I must say is usually 82/37 or something like that.

No, wireless is never as fast as a wired connection. You have a basic overhead on wireless that is going cut speed a bit, and in most places the radio spectrum is so crowded there will be a good number of errors and resulting retransmissions.

If I am on 5ghz wireless-n and very close to the router, I get around the same performance as you. On 2.4ghz I get a bit less, but it holds up further away from the router.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#45 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Upgraded from 35/35 to 75/35 FiOS service a few weeks ago...and my bill went DOWN by $10. :)

Posted Image

Very nice!!! I'm still on 25/25...called to inquire about getting the next speed package up (yours) and they told me it would be an additional $10 a month.
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...