Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

You Are Kidding....Right?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

I had the opportunity to call customer service Saturday evening due to my constant reauthorization of my HR20-700. I was not able to see the MLB EI (I subscribe) channels in the 700 series. I could view the games on the RSN's (I have Sports Pack).

The CSR stated this to me regarding MLB blackout rules as to the reason I could not watch the games: :confused:

1. MLB has the same blackout rules as the NFL. Really! And this is the best one, wait for it....

2. If a MLB game is not SOLD OUT by the beginning of the first inning then the game is blackout. :eek2:

I wish I could say I was making this up, but I'm not.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

http://support.direc...nings blackouts

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Not every CSR is a first round pick. But at least they make mistakes that give us an excuse to come here and post threads where we can vent and act superior.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hope you got your viewing resolved in spite of your CSR. But I'd be more concerned about your HR20-700 requiring "constant reauthorization." I suggest you call back and talk with their Technical reps and see if that can be fixed.

#5 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

2. If a MLB game is not SOLD OUT by the beginning of the first inning then the game is blackout. :eek2:

Wow... I can think of about 15 ball clubs off the top of my head that would never air a single game! :lol:

EDIT: Okay, more then 15..
http://espn.go.com/m.../_/sort/homePct
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#6 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hope you got your viewing resolved in spite of your CSR. But I'd be more concerned about your HR20-700 requiring "constant reauthorization." I suggest you call back and talk with their Technical reps and see if that can be fixed.

Call again on Sunday and a technical rep was very helpful. I have a service call scheduled for Saturday.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I had the opportunity to call customer service Saturday evening due to my constant reauthorization of my HR20-700. I was not able to see the MLB EI (I subscribe) channels in the 700 series. I could view the games on the RSN's (I have Sports Pack).

The CSR stated this to me regarding MLB blackout rules as to the reason I could not watch the games: :confused:

1. MLB has the same blackout rules as the NFL. Really! And this is the best one, wait for it....

I think there's been a mistake. Did you by chance call 1-800-333-3474 by mistake? :D

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

Call again on Sunday and a technical rep was very helpful. I have a service call scheduled for Saturday.

So the technician is going to show up and turn on a baseball game? Something doesn't add up.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

So the technician is going to show up and turn on a baseball game? Something doesn't add up.

Service call for realignment. First rep tried to tell me it was a blackout issue.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

The odds on getting a "technician" are low. An installer will show up with a replacement HR and activate it and see if that solves the problem.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Service call for realignment. First rep tried to tell me it was a blackout issue.

Having problems with other channels?

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Any out-of-market Saturday game that starts within three hours before or after the start of a game broadcasting on FOX WILL NOT be available in MLB EXTRA INNINGS.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

I can tell you that it's not an alignment issue either that caused this.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

The odds on getting a "technician" are low. An installer will show up with a replacement HR and activate it and see if that solves the problem.

Rich

You're probably right. So the OP needs to watch everything he has on his DVR and maybe write down all the series links he has on that unit.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I can tell you that it's not an alignment issue either that caused this.

You're pointing out an issue with DirecTV. The OP tells the CSR the symptoms, and the first one says it a black out issue. Second CSR says it an alignment issue and schedules a tech to do an alignment. I just hope the installer that shows up can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

You're pointing out an issue with DirecTV. The OP tells the CSR the symptoms, and the first one says it a black out issue. Second CSR says it an alignment issue and schedules a tech to do an alignment. I just hope the installer that shows up can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.

Lots of luck with that. At least here in NJ. I used to know two guys who were worthy of the title of Tech, one left and I usually get the other one. No installer is gonna solve that problem, it's probably the HR itself. Truck roll will probably get him a 24, so that's a good thing.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

And that is what happened to me several weeks ago. I had an HR21 that I was sure the drive was going bad. I called it in and gave the symptoms to technical support. He said it was a circuit card and they would send a tech to replace the card. Although I've never heard of the techs doing card replacements, I didn't say a word: I wanted a truck to roll because I knew I had a better chance of getting new equipment.

Which is what happened.

Techs arrived, I showed them the problem. "your drive is going so we have to replace the unit."

Unfortunately, all they had were brand-new unopened 24's.

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I never speculate as to what was said or not said. How many times do people on this forum state they lie to get what they want because they don't want to trouble shoot. Did the agent ask enough questions to really get the information or did they just roll over and offer a SC because they didn't want to deal with it.

Given we only know that he couldn't watch a game in the 700s but could on his RSN's that doesn't imply a hardware issue.

There is a lot of information that is not present which would be required to see what the actual problem is.

We don't know if this is even still going on, what game/s were impacted.

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

I understand we don't know all the details, but I usually trust what someone tells me until they prove they can't be trusted.

But a question: If a customer calls DirecTV with an issue with their equipment, don't the CSRs have a script/flow chart of what to ask? If the OP called and told two different CSRs the same symptoms (an assumption that the same symptoms were given), shouldn't he be asked the same questions and shouldn't the end result be the same?

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I understand we don't know all the details, but I usually trust what someone tells me until they prove they can't be trusted.

But a question: If a customer calls DirecTV with an issue with their equipment, don't the CSRs have a script/flow chart of what to ask? If the OP called and told two different CSRs the same symptoms (an assumption that the same symptoms were given), shouldn't he be asked the same questions and shouldn't the end result be the same?

In theory yes, however the first agent said it was a blackout issue. The OP posted nothing to disprove that, other than he said the agent said the blackouts are the same as NFL and have to be sold out, but it still doesn't prove it wasn't. The second agent believed the issue to be a technical problem. Considering the OP specifcally mentioned dish alignment that seems odd as it wouldn't make any sense even to someone who didn't want to trouble shoot.

Once a problem is identified there are tools to help them resolve it. However the largest reason for communication issues are people assuming they know what to say to get a desired result or an agent assuming they've dealt with this situation so many times they know what it is without asking enough information.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...