Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

You Are Kidding....Right?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

I understand we don't know all the details, but I usually trust what someone tells me until they prove they can't be trusted.

But a question: If a customer calls DirecTV with an issue with their equipment, don't the CSRs have a script/flow chart of what to ask? If the OP called and told two different CSRs the same symptoms (an assumption that the same symptoms were given), shouldn't he be asked the same questions and shouldn't the end result be the same?

Yup, the answer should have been the same if those CSRs had the same training, the same scripts and some mutual idea what the solution to the problem was. Real life is the CSRs at the lower levels just don't know enough. That should be obvious to anybody.

Pull this same scenario in a different company, say a power company and you'd get answers that were more on the mark, but it's only TV and what's the danger? Nobody is getting injured or killed, no apparent governing body overseeing the management of the company. Seems like they do what they want and don't care what the results are.

Verizon's the same way. They'll lie to your face in a store to sell you a phone. Who you gonna call to complain about that, Ghostbusters?

I like D*, they've treated me well over the years. I hope they do well forever, I don't want to change providers. But, what a way to run a company!

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Im still betting fox blackout
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#23 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

Im still betting fox blackout

Wasn't a Fox blackout. Last Saturday Fox game started at 4:05pm. I was trying to watch a game at 8:00pm, which is outside their exckusive window.

I was able to watch the games on the RSNs not the 700 series. If the games were blacked out by Fox , the RSNs should have been blackout also.

Games in question Marlins-Nationals & Phillies-Rockies if I remember correctly.

#24 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

In theory yes, however the first agent said it was a blackout issue. The OP posted nothing to disprove that, other than he said the agent said the blackouts are the same as NFL and have to be sold out, but it still doesn't prove it wasn't. The second agent believed the issue to be a technical problem. Considering the OP specifcally mentioned dish alignment that seems odd as it wouldn't make any sense even to someone who didn't want to trouble shoot.

Once a problem is identified there are tools to help them resolve it. However the largest reason for communication issues are people assuming they know what to say to get a desired result or an agent assuming they've dealt with this situation so many times they know what it is without asking enough information.

Simply stated:

1. First CSR never asked any technicals questions or had me run diagnostic. She immediately went to the blackout scenario.

2. The second CSR had me run diagnostics on the receiver which came up with a dish aligment error. Thus the reason for Saturday's appointment.

I believe its a hardware issue, but what do I know. If they have to replace the receiver, the only show of value is Johan Santanna's no-hitter! :)

#25 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

well an alignment issue will not cause a blackout as previously stated ...two seperate issues

#26 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

well an alignment issue will not cause a blackout as previously stated ...two seperate issues

Agreed, but how come the CSR didn't know that? That's been a major point of dissatisfaction for too many years for D* to just ignore. I realize how hard it is to troubleshoot over a phone, but these WAGs get a bit frustrating at times.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Agreed every CSR has the same amount of information at their fingertips...some choose to use it and obviously some dont...no excuse

#28 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Agreed every CSR has the same amount of information at their fingertips...some choose to use it and obviously some dont...no excuse

Aren't they monitored in some way? I know they have supervisors. What else do the supervisors do?

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

In the past I got the black out BS for a game on my RSN over flow channel that was not working right / HD feed not on.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#30 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Unfortunately, all they had were brand-new unopened 24's.

dang, i hate when that happends to people:lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#31 OFFLINE   atlrep

atlrep

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have seen cases where games listed on ei would end up on rsns when a cm had the sports pack even though the sports pack doesn't cover out of market professional games. I've also seen some games flat out not televised at all. Shouldn't need to reauthorize the rcvr to remedy "blackouts" I've never seen such a thing. Either an access card or rcvr issue for the auth problem. More than likely a major network contract to blame here.

#32 OFFLINE   atlrep

atlrep

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Also, if u go to dtv.com and search for the team name it'll give u times and channels. If its not there its not on.

#33 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Wasn't a Fox blackout. Last Saturday Fox game started at 4:05pm. I was trying to watch a game at 8:00pm, which is outside their exckusive window.

I was able to watch the games on the RSNs not the 700 series. If the games were blacked out by Fox , the RSNs should have been blackout also.

Games in question Marlins-Nationals & Phillies-Rockies if I remember correctly.

The game started at 4:10 on Fox which blacks out other games until 7:05PM EST. The Marlins game started at 7pm EST so this is a correct blackout. The Phillies-Rockies started at 8pm which would have been an incorrect blackout unless the feed you were attempting to watch was on a local RSN or local channel. Then it would have been a correct blackout as well.

Edited by Shades228, 18 July 2012 - 09:45 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#34 OFFLINE   falkor

falkor

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Shades is absolutely correct

#35 OFFLINE   Mervis

Mervis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

The Marlins game started at 7pm EST so this is a correct blackout.

Games NEVER start at the top of the hour if they are televised and now I understand the Saturday :10 after starting time to get away from the Fox exclusivity until :05.

I have been watching the MLB package during the free preview this week and at least twice, when tuning from the "Scoreguide" to a main feed for a game, received a blackout message but was able to re-tune to the RSN. Once was FSMW Cardinals, don't remember 2nd. Maybe Phils. Oh yeah, today for the Angels/Tigers game on FSDET.

#36 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

Games NEVER start at the top of the hour if they are televised and now I understand the Saturday :10 after starting time to get away from the Fox exclusivity until :05.

I have been watching the MLB package during the free preview this week and at least twice, when tuning from the "Scoreguide" to a main feed for a game, received a blackout message but was able to re-tune to the RSN. Once was FSMW Cardinals, don't remember 2nd. Maybe Phils. Oh yeah, today for the Angels/Tigers game on FSDET.

Actual start time is not relevant it's the scheduled start time. A rain delay would not cause the game to no longer be blacked out.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Actual start time is not relevant it's the scheduled start time. A rain delay would not cause the game to no longer be blacked out.

Please link to the actual scheduled start time being at 7:00 pm. I'm looking at the Marlins future schedule and their is not a single game that starts on the top of the hour.

They are all 7:05 or 7:10.

EDIT: In fact, the Marlins / Nationals was a 7:10 scheduled start, so where did your 7:00 scheduled start time where you concluded it was a correct blackout come from?

http://miami.marlins...ns_schedule.pdf

Edited by raott, 19 July 2012 - 05:08 AM.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#38 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

Aren't they monitored in some way? I know they have supervisors. What else do the supervisors do?

Rich

supervisor to CSR ratio is not 1:1. In most cases supervisors primary job is to track relevant stats like Average handle time for there team through out the day, and work out there teams stats for the week/month. There job title usually includes very little real time monitoring and there more or less paper work jockeys more then anything else.

Most call centers have a call/screen recording program that generally records 4 calls a day, then the call center has a QA department that listens to recorded calls and grades them. Not all recorded calls are actually listened to and graded (usually 1-2 a week per CSR is what I have seen).

Depending on the company and call center in question, usually agents can easily check how many recorded calls they have. Generally they get there "4" before lunch break. After that they know they have a little wiggle room with rules and policies and its on them if they take it to far.

By the way Im with Shades on this one.

OP you may have had an alignment issue but that most definitely would not be the cause for your "black out" ;)
It just doesnt add up.

#39 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

supervisor to CSR ratio is not 1:1. In most cases supervisors primary job is to track relevant stats like Average handle time for there team through out the day, and work out there teams stats for the week/month. There job title usually includes very little real time monitoring and there more or less paper work jockeys more then anything else.

I've never heard of a place where the ratio is 1:1. I usually had at least fifteen mechanics working for me. A good supervisor should be able to know how well the people working for them are doing. I had to do a yearly review of each mechanic (various trades) and if I thought someone was not doing his job or was just plain incompetent, I had to be able to back that up or suffer consequences myself. Doesn't seem to be the case with D*'s supervisors. They do seem to know more that their CSRs, tho.

Most call centers have a call/screen recording program that generally records 4 calls a day, then the call center has a QA department that listens to recorded calls and grades them. Not all recorded calls are actually listened to and graded (usually 1-2 a week per CSR is what I have seen).

Well, that's a step in the right direction.

Depending on the company and call center in question, usually agents can easily check how many recorded calls they have. Generally they get there "4" before lunch break. After that they know they have a little wiggle room with rules and policies and its on them if they take it to far.

Best to call in the morning?

By the way Im with Shades on this one.

OP you may have had an alignment issue but that most definitely would not be the cause for your "black out" ;)
It just doesnt add up.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. But I don't get the MLB package, so I can't argue the point.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

The game started at 4:10 on Fox which blacks out other games until 7:05PM EST. The Marlins game started at 7pm EST so this is a correct blackout. The Phillies-Rockies started at 8pm which would have been an incorrect blackout unless the feed you were attempting to watch was on a local RSN or local channel. Then it would have been a correct blackout as well.

Under your scenario for the Rookies game, The RSN, which was in the clear for me and out of market, would trump the EI package, 700 series channels. If so, no need for EI just order the Sports Pack and enjoy. I know this not to be the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...