Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When will the Viacom Dispute end

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: When will the dispute end? (279 member(s) have cast votes)

When will the dispute end?

1. before August 1 (93 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. before September 17 (start of the TV ratings season) (122 votes [43.73%])

Percentage of vote: 43.73%

3. before January 1, 2013 (14 votes [5.02%])

Percentage of vote: 5.02%

4. In 2013 (19 votes [6.81%])

Percentage of vote: 6.81%

5. 2014 or later (6 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

6. never (25 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Shortly after the Lakers sign Howard, the Viacom / Directv dispute will end.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Retro

Retro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

If it last's a long time, meaning 3-4 months, i think Directv will begin looking at creating a specific page for the viacom group of channels and seperate them from everything else while adding others to lower tier packages.. With so many channels falling under a few big companies, this is likely the future..

Besides that, i'm sure advertisers with viacom channels have already began to make adjustments to their advertising budgets, knowing there are apprx 20 million viewers less with access to those channels. They are not going to pay the same rate to advertise on Mtv or spike as below and that will really impact viacoms bottom line.

#43 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

According to Directv Facebook, they are getting close to a deal!

#44 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

According to Directv Facebook, they are getting close to a deal!

They better be getting all available HD feeds with the new deal.

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

They better be getting all available HD feeds with the new deal.

I'm sure all renegotiated deals have terms regarding HD. :)

(And perhaps other features as well...) ;)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#46 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Who cares? Git er done!
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#47 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

As it drags on more will get disenchanted by Direct and will look for other options and switch to other providers. Today is a week and IMHO too long. They need to quit beating around the bush and get down to business. Updates on directv promise are sugarcoated and offer no real substance so there is no real way of telling what really is happening. If things were good it would have been over already. Since that is not the case you can get an idea of the truth behind closed doors.

It will come to a point that both will realize that the bottom line $$$ is getting hurt beyond profits. When that happens a resolution will be done overnight. Until then expect it to drag on.

#48 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

When the Cubs win the World Series?

Never

#49 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

When the Cubs win the World Series?

they may have to stop playing at Wrigley Field or blow the place up and rebuild it for that to happen.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#50 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Finally people understand.

#51 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

As it drags on more will get disenchanted by Direct and will look for other options and switch to other providers. Today is a week and IMHO too long. They need to quit beating around the bush and get down to business. Updates on directv promise are sugarcoated and offer no real substance so there is no real way of telling what really is happening. If things were good it would have been over already. Since that is not the case you can get an idea of the truth behind closed doors.

It will come to a point that both will realize that the bottom line $$$ is getting hurt beyond profits. When that happens a resolution will be done overnight. Until then expect it to drag on.

Or more will decide that Viacom channels and programs are mostly not must see TV and will stick with D*. BTW, that would describe me on day 1 of this! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#52 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

From the hints dropped by DirecTV over the past 24 hours, I think the negotiations are basically done. Maybe they have one more day to tie up loose ends and then a day or two for the accountants and lawyers to go over everything and write up a formal contract.

I'm betting the Viacom channels will be back on the air by the weekend. I'll bet a beer at Del's Bar for anybody in the La Crosse, WI, area who wants to take me up on my bet.

:grin:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#53 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

From the hints dropped by DirecTV over the past 24 hours, I think the negotiations are basically done. Maybe they have one more day to tie up loose ends and then a day or two for the accountants and lawyers to go over everything and write up a formal contract.

I'm betting the Viacom channels will be back on the air by the weekend. I'll bet a beer at Del's Bar for anybody in the La Crosse, WI, area who wants to take me up on my bet.

:grin:

We can hope, but I won't believe it till I see the channels back.

#54 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Uh, both sides know that going in.

And the longer it drags out, the more folks realize there are other channels that sub for much of what Viacom puts out. The longer Viacom is gone the more viewers they lose even when they're back on DIRECTV®. Of course, there will be a few thousand who have already bailed.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#55 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

As it drags on more will get disenchanted by Direct and will look for other options and switch to other providers. Today is a week and IMHO too long.

If there was a provider that never had disputes or channels taken down for any period of time, then I would agree with you. Since there is not, and since there is absolutely no guarantee that the Viacom channels would not be taken down for an indeterminant length of time by the provider that one might switch, then I do not agree.that a significant number of customers will leave DirecTV over this dispute. Sure, some will, but that number will be small in comparison to the number of viewers that Viacom is losing.

It would have been nice if the negotiations had been completed before the old contract expired, but that did not happen. Now that the channels are down, I would prefer the negotiations take as long as necessary to come to the best agreement. Agreements that are reached quickly might not be the best in the long term. A week is not much time. A month or two seems reasonable.

#56 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I believe the day that all carriers carry virtually all the same channels is over. Money as now entered into the equation with a much bigger role. So this will be the new norm and the providers will carry only the channels that they think will provide them with the biggest subscriber base with the least amount of channels that they can put into a mid-tier package. Sort of like a round about way of back dooring al-a-carte programing. So if you like channel x you will have to find which provider has it.
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#57 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I believe the day that all carriers carry virtually all the same channels is over. Money as now entered into the equation with a much bigger role. So this will be the new norm and the providers will carry only the channels that they think will provide them with the biggest subscriber base with the least amount of channels that they can put into a mid-tier package. Sort of like a round about way of back dooring al-a-carte programing. So if you like channel x you will have to find which provider has it.

The only thing I really want is all sports channels in HD. That's it. I don't care who offers it. DirecTV is the closest thing I've found to what I want.
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#58 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

:D

It would seem the poll omitted one important choice.....WHO CARES? :D

That is my vote.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#59 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Shortly after the Lakers sign Howard, the Viacom / Directv dispute will end.:)

Gee, I was way off on this prediction!:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...