Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questons: DECA and DirecTV Deals

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   splendorlex

splendorlex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Using deca to do this for me was a no brainier as I am in a condo and pulling cat5 wasnt going to happen. The cost of the decas on ebay is cheap and even if you pay retail for them they still cost MUCH less than similar moca devices for cable tv.

In fact If I move to a house where pulling cat5 might be easy I probably will not even bother because this works so well. Im saying that and I probably have enough material (cable, plates, jacks) at my shop to wire up a couple houses. Its just too convenient to do it over coax.

Honestly this feature will keep me on Directv longer than most other things like channels, hd, pix quality, gui or the receiver hardware.

Can you tell me the generalities of how you have it set up? How are you feeding the internet signal into the system? How are you then sharing it from your STBs?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Can you tell me the generalities of how you have it set up? How are you feeding the internet signal into the system? How are you then sharing it from your STBs?

Your installer will get your system online by putting a deca that his hooked to the coax cabling and will connect it to your router via cat5. My main computer is in the same room as the router so its hooked up hard wired to the router. In 2 other rooms where the coax comes out of the wallplate I have put 2way "green labeled" splitters where one leg feeds the STB and the other goes to a DECABB1R0 deca. You can use the other decas I just like this one since it uses a smaller wallwart power adapter. You can then hook the cat5 jumper to whatever network devices you like. When you get your install, Directv is not likely to give you the extra decas Im sure you can talk your installer into making or giving you the extra coax jumpers which you will need to do this. You may already have them since you mentioned moca since they should be wired similar to cable tv. Remember you need 3 jumpers after the wallplate; one from wall plate to the input of splitter, then a jumper from each output of the splitter to the STB and deca.

Here is a link to the 2way (notice green label splitter be sure to get those):
http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002404

Link for what they used to call the "broadband" deca:
http://www.solidsign...Kit-(DECABB1R0)

If you search ebay use: "broadband deca" as your search. You can find them on there for under $20 each.

The major drawback to doing this other then the obvious lack of support by directv is you are adding extra LOSS to the input of the receiver. For me the pros outweigh these cons not to mention as long as the decas are working you could pull the dish and receivers and your coax network will still work for your other devices.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...