Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Remote and Component switch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jstewartgt

jstewartgt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Looks like the HDMI board on my TV was fried this weekend and I'm not interested in getting another TV right now. Cheapest option is to get a component switch from monoprice.

What I'm trying to find out is can the Directv remote control a component switch? I can't seem to find anything on this? The switch says it has IR learning, so I guess I could just pick something random on one of the A/V selectors and have the switch learn the codes.

Any other suggestions? Trying to make this easy for the wife and kids.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure the DirecTV remote has any switches in its database.

One thing that I know would work is a Harmony remote. They have the monoprice switches in their database. I control one in my bedroom with a harmony 700.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   jstewartgt

jstewartgt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the reply! I have one in the basement, just was hoping to avoid it for my simpler family room operation

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

If you get an auto switch, you'll probably never have to send it any IR commands whatsoever. It will always switch to the component that turns on last. If you turn off components you don't need, then the auto switching will work fine.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...