Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possible trade-up to HR34??

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   suncom3

suncom3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

that sounds highly unlikly,unless you were on sub with all channels for 10yrs ..how bout mid level subs that are a couple yrs old........wont get that treatment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

Saying long time existing customers don't get much is utter nonsense.

Why does everyone get butt hurt when they offer things to attract new customers?? They do plenty for existing customers.

I am a long time customer, 12+ years. I get a significant discount on Sunday Ticket every year. I just called in last week, to see what they can do to help cut my bill down. They did the following:

-Offered me Sunday Ticket with MAX for half price - $24.99 for 6 months.
- $30/mo credit for the next 12 months
- $15/mo credit for the next 6 months
- Whole Home Service upgrade, including switching out a SD receiver with a HD DVR. No charge for all parts and installation.

So......$450 worth of credits, $150 discounted off of ST, parts and installation (including replacing a SD DVR with an HD DVR) saving me at least a couple hundred more.

If you are an existing customer they will help you out. It helps to not be in a contract, but even if you are they will help you out.

Could be because new customers who haven't spent a dime get the latest equipment, free premium services, and overall lower bills, while long time customers like me (since 1999) can't even get an upgraded DVR to replace the crappy, frustratingly slow HR20's and HR21's. I think you're experience is the exception, not the rule. Long time customers should't have to work so hard to replace under-performing equipment with newer stuff.

Roughly 156 months at an average of $130 per month means I've given DirecTV over $20,000. You'd think they could afford a couple new receivers for a "loyal customer" (of which I am thanked for being, every time I call them).

If I buy new receivers, they can't even guarantee I'll get a particular model!! I've been told this multiple times.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

If I buy new receivers, they can't even guarantee I'll get a particular model!! I've been told this multiple times.

For a HD DVR, this is true. HR34s are guaranteed.

#24 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

For a HD DVR, this is true. HR34s are guaranteed.

So I spend $200 each to replace crappy receivers that DirecTV should replace for free, and they can't even guarantee they won't send me the same refurbished model I already have!

What business can't control what they sell?

While I like DirecTV, their policies frustrate me whenever I think about them (or whenever I'm cursing the HR20's and HR21's I have...)

#25 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Keep calling back until your get the right CSR. I was out of contract when I got mine. First call $399, second $199 and my fourth time they paid me $75 in credits to take one. Installed and everything!

Edited by gio12, 09 August 2012 - 04:38 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Keep calling back until your get the right CSR. I was out of contract when I got mine. First call $399, second $199 and my fourth try they paid my $75 in credits to take one. Installed and everything!

Usually if your out of contract they offer a free HD DVR which would cost you $199. I would start there and say you are already willing to do this, why not take that off of a HR34 and see if you can get a little more.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#27 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

Usually if your out of contract they offer a free HD DVR which would cost you $199. I would start there and say you are already willing to do this, why not take that off of a HR34 and see if you can get a little more.

Sorry, typos form the iPhone. Yes, I got one. Its cost me NOTHING and I got $75 in credits for upgrading form the HR20.

It's fast, but not even close to perfect. :rolleyes::mad:

#28 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

So I spend $200 each to replace crappy receivers that DirecTV should replace for free, and they can't even guarantee they won't send me the same refurbished model I already have!

What business can't control what they sell?

While I like DirecTV, their policies frustrate me whenever I think about them (or whenever I'm cursing the HR20's and HR21's I have...)

No if the receivers are broken they will replace them for free (you might have to pay $20 for shipping). If they aren't broken then there is no reason to replace them. "Because I want a new one" is not an acceptable reason to get one for free.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#29 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

It almost sounds like the Dish network PTAT solution would help. Depends on how many tuners you need and what type of sports fanatic you are. I couldn't leave because of MLB EI, but my brother switched and he seems quite happy with the decision.

#30 OFFLINE   mkohlman

mkohlman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Could be because new customers who haven't spent a dime get the latest equipment, free premium services, and overall lower bills, while long time customers like me (since 1999) can't even get an upgraded DVR to replace the crappy, frustratingly slow HR20's and HR21's. I think you're experience is the exception, not the rule. Long time customers should't have to work so hard to replace under-performing equipment with newer stuff.

Roughly 156 months at an average of $130 per month means I've given DirecTV over $20,000. You'd think they could afford a couple new receivers for a "loyal customer" (of which I am thanked for being, every time I call them).

lancorp, I really feel your pain as I going through the same situation. 5 years with DirecTV, over $2k annually, and every time I have a piece of equipment fail, I actually get something OLDER and MORE BEAT UP that what I had before.

This week I had an HR23 die and today I received a refurbed HR22 with scuff marks in a number of places, a broken front access door, and an intermittently loud cooling fan. Called to complain and was told that while they could replace the unit, there was no guarantee it would be with a newer model. When I was offered a $30/month discount I tried to explain to the rep that my frustration wasn't with what I was paying per month (I'll willingly pay for good service) my frustration was continuing to receive crappy, outdated equipment.

Does anyone have any suggestions about HOW to talk DirecTV into an HR34 upgrade? Frankly I'd be happy with a couple of HR24's but since DirecTV wouldn't make that offer, I'm will to try to shoot for an HR34 if that gets me out of this mess.

Edited by mkohlman, 10 August 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

They are offering the HR34 to new customers for only $99. Crazy what they do for new customers, but long time existing customers usually do not get much. If you are out of contract, you might be able to talk them into the $99, but might take a few calls.

Also, make sure you are going to the retention department. DTV has changed their phone system recently. When you say cancel, you still go to regular CSRs, not the retention/cancelation department. And when you ask the CSR if they are the retention department, expect them to lie to you. Seems DTV does not want their customers getting to the retention department unless you really want to cancel service.

What sequence do you press now to get the retention dept?

spam firewall