Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free but NOT FREE!!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Didn't you already have a FREE install within the last 12 months??? So it DOES SAY you have to be a customer for MORE THAN A YEAR!!!!

Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only.

The first part can be read as you can only use the movers deal once a year. However, the second part, qualifying customer, is all encompassing and includes the tenure component.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   alacazam

alacazam

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Didn't you already have a FREE install within the last 12 months??? So it DOES SAY you have to be a customer for MORE THAN A YEAR!!!!

Nothing at all DECEIVING about the terms and conditions. Now maybe if you don't read them you might think you were DECEIVED.

Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only.

OK,
So WHAT OFFER have I used in the last year? I paid for my installation AND that has nothing to do with the MOVERS CONNECTION OFFER which I have never used!!

#23 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

How much did you pay for the install? Mine was "free" which means DTV paid for it in return for a 2 year contract. If you don't have a two year contract, cancel the service and go with Dish.

#24 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

key words= Qualifying and Tenure...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#25 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

OK,
So WHAT OFFER have I used in the last year? I paid for my installation AND that has nothing to do with the MOVERS CONNECTION OFFER which I have never used!!

You paid for your installation? You aren't giving us all the details if that is true.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#26 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks to all for your help, answers and comments. I am a customer for less than a year and there isn't anything spelled out in the Movers language that says a person has to be with DirecTV for over a year to be eligible for the free move.
I didn't realize this was the way they treated customers after making such a big deal that this was a FREE service as a way to keep customers or at least help keep them happy and stay with their service as opposed to going with another service.
I am seriously considering just paying the penalty for breaking the customer agreement ( 2 year commitment ) and going back to cable. At least they will come out and connect my equipment at no charge and NO 2 YEAR COMMITMENT. It would almost be worth it to me to pay a little more to do that than to allow them to treat people the way they want to treat them.
In my opinion I am just asking them to be UP FRONT about the REAL cost for the Movers Deal and quit duping people into thinking it's FREE when that isn't really true for everyone.

Just cancel already and move on. Why would you give them any more money than necessary if you didn't like the way you were being treated? You know what they say.....money talks and.....walks.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#27 OFFLINE   fourhokiefans

fourhokiefans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

"DIRECTV MOVERS DEAL: Offer expires on 7/18/12. Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors. Sports blackouts and your ability to receive local channels or broadcast networks may be affected by new address. Residential customers only. Offer requires a program agreement of 12 months or 24 months if you took an Advanced Receivers equipment upgrade (HD, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV base programming package (priced at $29.99/mo. or above), or any international service bundle. If you have two boxes or one box and an enabled TV, an additional $6/mo. fee applies. For each additional box and/or enabled TV on your account you are charged an additional fee of $6/mo. per box and/or enabled TV. Applicable use tax adjustment may apply on the retail value of installation."

Give me a break. I guess since you failed to read or understand the terms of service provided that DirecTv is at fault? That's pathetic.

#28 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Once again....

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

Probably the fine print:

http://www.directv.c.../content/movers

I don't believe the Movers Deal is being advertised as "free" at this time

"DIRECTV MOVERS DEAL: Offer expires on 7/18/12. Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors. Sports blackouts and your ability to receive local channels or broadcast networks may be affected by new address. Residential customers only. Offer requires a program agreement of 12 months or 24 months if you took an Advanced Receivers equipment upgrade (HD, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV base programming package (priced at $29.99/mo. or above), or any international service bundle. If you have two boxes or one box and an enabled TV, an additional $6/mo. fee applies. For each additional box and/or enabled TV on your account you are charged an additional fee of $6/mo. per box and/or enabled TV. Applicable use tax adjustment may apply on the retail value of installation."

There is also the option of doing the install yourself or hiring a contractor to do it. There is no hard and fast rule that Directv has to do the new install.You possess all the necessary hardware, you might be on the hook for some coax.

If you are still unhappy with the deal, or unable to get Directv to reduce or offset the cost, you can always vote with your wallet and get another provider.

#29 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

I'm sorry, but the ad that D* is running on TV these days has no small print in it and does not mention any 'qualifications'. Basically another phony ad from D* where they say something and don't put qualifiers in the ad, not even in tiny print that would fly by if they had in fact presented it at all.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#30 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Just looked and its in the commercial
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#31 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm sorry, but the ad that D* is running on TV these days has no small print in it and does not mention any 'qualifications'. Basically another phony ad from D* where they say something and don't put qualifiers in the ad, not even in tiny print that would fly by if they had in fact presented it at all.

Just saw a Movers Connection TV ad & it had the same "Available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers" fine print that others are referring to...

#32 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Bottom line you were given correct information. The quote was valid.
Slimline 5 SWM
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-100 :grin:
R22-100 :lol:
H25-500:hurah:

#33 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,515 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

The Movers Connection TV Ad has the fine print as others have posted. Perhaps your Panasonic TC-P54S1 needs calibrating.

Edited by MysteryMan, 18 July 2012 - 04:05 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

The Movers Connection TV Ad has the fine print as others have posted. Perhaps your Panasonic TC-P54S1 needs calibrating.

Or maybe old eyes?? :)

I seldom watch ads, but had seen one of the mover ads yesterday and for all of me, I didn't see any fine print flash by.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

I appreciate the support. Too many customers see/hear what they want to and heaven help you if you are the one to deliver the bad news that they were self-deluded. There is a reason that every existing customer that upgrades has to speak to an agent that verifies that they understand the offer. They also maintain those calls in perpetuity.\

"they told me that everything would be free!!"
No, they did not.

"I was told that I could upgrade at anytime at no charge!"
No, you weren't.

Referring to the poster regards the move:brace yourself for a shock - DirecTV is a for-profit business. There - now everyone knows. The profit margins are quite a bit slimmer than most people realize and it takes quite some time for an account to offset the investment in equipment and manpower on an install. When you need a 2nd install within the initial period, you have extended the amount of time before the account shows a net gain for DirecTV. Thus a charge.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#36 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

But it doesn't say I have to be a customer for MORE THAN A YEAR!!!! to get the MOVERS DEAL.

It is DECIEVING at best!!! What's wrong with just spelling out ALL the LIMITATIONS UP FRONT? These are the kinds of things that I feel that seperate GREAT companies from the rest that are out there.

This particular promotion, as with many others, are based on tenure. If you have been active for less than a year or if you have moved within the last 12 months you will not be generally eligible for a move at no cost. There may be other alternatives for you though.
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#37 ONLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Been a DirecTV customer since 11/2011 and I am in the process of moving. Called to get the FREE movers deal but I was told by the CSR that it would cost me $129.00 to have a new dish installed and my receivers (3) hooked back up at my new residence. Whats up with this?????

I know this is a dead horse subject but it came up today for me. We are moving and I wanted to use the “movers” program. Much to my chagrin I was informed that we did not “qualify” for the “full” movers program but it would only cost us $230 to transfer our service to a new location. The cost did not include any of the “treats” outlined on their national commercial.

This is not what their nationwide advertisement scam infers. Direct is using a “bait and switch” scam in order to pad their balance sheet. The idea that my eligibility for the program is based on “other” undefined reasons is laughable. Maybe I have to give someone a “top secret” handshake to get in. I complained to the BBB of El Segundo and the FTC. May not do any good but it let me vent.

#38 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

I know this is a dead horse subject but it came up today for me. We are moving and I wanted to use the “movers” program. Much to my chagrin I was informed that we did not “qualify” for the “full” movers program but it would only cost us $230 to transfer our service to a new location. The cost did not include any of the “treats” outlined on their national commercial.

This is not what their nationwide advertisement scam infers. Direct is using a “bait and switch” scam in order to pad their balance sheet. The idea that my eligibility for the program is based on “other” undefined reasons is laughable. Maybe I have to give someone a “top secret” handshake to get in. I complained to the BBB of El Segundo and the FTC. May not do any good but it let me vent.

Perhaps you could tell us why you didn't qualify for the full movers connection?

#39 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

I learned a long time ago, that if it's too good to be true, it usually is. I never take an advertisement or commerical at face value. I always check it out and look for the loop holes. If I find it, I discard the offer. If I don't, and I'm interested, I call with no real expectations and waiting for the bomb, until I am satisfied that it's a good deal, and or know what to expect. Then I decide if I want it or not. So far, D* has done everything they said they would. I have no complaints as of yet

Edited by n3vino, 15 September 2012 - 08:10 AM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#40 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

What was the reason given for your not qualifying? Your post is very short on details, other than that you're cranky.

When I relocated from Maryland to North Carolina, Movers Connection made no promise other than that they would set you up in the new location without charge in exchange for a years commitment. They kept their promise.

I have found that DirecTV has honored their agreement with me for the most part. The one exception could have been written off as a bad experience with a single CSR. DTV corrected it on the spot. I have also found that when something is tied to conditions or qualifications, the CSRs have explained what the requirement was and made sure that I understood them, before moving on.

I would not say that DirecTV is perfect, nor would I expect everyones experience to be as positive as mine has been. I do take exception to the terms "Scam" and "bait and switch". I think there is more to the story that we're not hearing.

spam firewall