Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free but NOT FREE!!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

In my opinion, the CSR should explain if someone doesn't qualify for free movers, especially if it's due to tenure.

differing opinion - beleive that a person shoul actualy read the terms before they agree to something that is binding, personnally trust no one explaining something to me that is legally binding unless they have a law degree

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

I know this is a dead horse subject but it came up today for me. We are moving and I wanted to use the “movers” program. Much to my chagrin I was informed that we did not “qualify” for the “full” movers program but it would only cost us $230 to transfer our service to a new location. The cost did not include any of the “treats” outlined on their national commercial.

This is not what their nationwide advertisement scam infers. Direct is using a “bait and switch” scam in order to pad their balance sheet. The idea that my eligibility for the program is based on “other” undefined reasons is laughable. Maybe I have to give someone a “top secret” handshake to get in. I complained to the BBB of El Segundo and the FTC. May not do any good but it let me vent.

I can sympathize with the fact that based on the commercial, you would think your move would be free. Calling it a scam, with bait and switch tactics is a bit much. Just like most things, there are some rules and exceptions. And the information on DIRECTV's website does give you some idea of why you might not qualify.

Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#43 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

I know this is a dead horse subject but it came up today for me. We are moving and I wanted to use the “movers” program. Much to my chagrin I was informed that we did not “qualify” for the “full” movers program but it would only cost us $230 to transfer our service to a new location. The cost did not include any of the “treats” outlined on their national commercial.

This is not what their nationwide advertisement scam infers. Direct is using a “bait and switch” scam in order to pad their balance sheet. The idea that my eligibility for the program is based on “other” undefined reasons is laughable. Maybe I have to give someone a “top secret” handshake to get in. I complained to the BBB of El Segundo and the FTC. May not do any good but it let me vent.

Why are YOU leaving out the details as to why you didn't qualify???
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#44 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

I did leave early this year and not really missings programming but the DVR. Went to comcast and On Demand offering is "night and day" from what DTV offered. Comcast DVR sucks but in our area the program offering is equal to or better than what I had with DTV.(Free HBO for a year, Encore channels included, HD offering the same or better than DTV and Customer Service is better than my last experiences with DTV)
Will miss NFL ST but they have redzone channel.

Based on one of his prior posts made in May of 2011, I'm going to guess that he didn't qualify, because he's been back with DIRECTV less then a year. After his freebies ran out at Comcast, he probably switched back and got a great deal with Free NFL ST. And since he's back, he found out that the grass isn't greener.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#45 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

If D* gives you free receivers and does not charge you for a first install, how much of the cost do you think the company is eating? Why do you feel entitled to a program because there is a commercial for it? There will always be a stipulation to any offer whether it is with D* or any other provider. Does it say on the commercial, "Not applicable to customers moving to Germany."? Probably not but obviously that is not an option either. Point being, there are plenty of portions of that offer that you know require qualifications that you meet, but you overlooked any of the qualifications that you do not meet based on feeling entitled to it without proper justification.

#46 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Based on one of his prior posts made in May of 2011, I'm going to guess that he didn't qualify, because he's been back with DIRECTV less then a year. After his freebies ran out at Comcast, he probably switched back and got a great deal with Free NFL ST. And since he's back, he found out that the grass isn't greener.

ATT just got my internet back-up. Strange that DTV seemed to disagree with you guys. After receiving my complaint from BBB, I got qualifed for the Movers Program by upper mgm. Seems like my complaint was not out of bounds. Maybe some of you DTV employees should see why your company has a D+ rating with the BBB.

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

ATT just got my internet back-up. Strange that DTV seemed to disagree with you guys. After receiving my complaint from BBB, I got qualifed for the Movers Program by upper mgm. Seems like my complaint was not out of bounds. Maybe some of you DTV employees should see why your company has a D+ rating with the BBB.

Only because they don't pay the BBB ransom. It's like paying the mob for protection.
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

You may want to watch this

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

We're up to a D+ that's progress.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

Only because they don't pay the BBB ransom. It's like paying the mob for protection.

paticularly enjoyed the segment on 60 minutes and 20/20 that pretty well validated this comment. It was very enlighting and enjoyable

#51 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

The cable company charges to hook up new service at a new address. So why shouldn't directv?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#52 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

I hope a lot of people aren't just contacting that office routinely; kinda defeats its purpose, and we all pay a bit more.

not for things like this that can be handled by reading the terms of agreement or a call to customer service

When the OoP gets overburdened with routine stuff, it loses (not looses) its clout for important matters.

Not sure why we have self-appointed gate keepers here, but this is how DirecTV advertises Ellen's office and email address to their 20 million subscribers.

Executive Customer Care Contact

If you've contacted Customer Care and require additional clarification or support, contact Ellen Filipiak, Sr. VP of Customer Care.

http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/officers.cfm

The OP met DirecTV's defined requirement to contact her office, so there shouldn't be any "only contact her for stuff we deem as important" comments.

spam firewall