Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper channel numbers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I just noticed on the E* web site that some channel numbers differ from the "standard" receivers on the Hopper. This is especially true with the Muzak® & Sirius/XM audio channels, where the channel numbers look just like QAM channel numbers.

Why can't all the channel numbers stay the same? This just causes confusion.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

I just noticed on the E* web site that some channel numbers differ from the "standard" receivers on the Hopper. This is especially true with the Muzak® & Sirius/XM audio channels, where the channel numbers look just like QAM channel numbers.

Why can't all the channel numbers stay the same? This just causes confusion.

I am sure that gets confusing and takes time to get used to.

At least Dish offers the following for the Sirius XM channels if you want a reference to what channel they are on on the Hopper:
http://www.mydish.co...hannelGuide.pdf

Aren't RSNs numbered this way, too?

#3 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

RSNets, Sirius/XM and International channels are all part of the new collapsible guide format on the Hopper/Joey.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yep ... and I am surprised that it isn't a bigger complaint about the receiver.

I remember when my local RSN was channel 429. Now it is 41219 ... and it takes five keypresses to jump to the channel by number instead of three.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yep ... and I am surprised that it isn't a bigger complaint about the receiver.

I remember when my local RSN was channel 429. Now it is 41219 ... and it takes five keypresses to jump to the channel by number instead of three.

What happens if you punch in just 429 and enter?

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

What happens if you punch in just 429 and enter?

The next closest available channel is chosen. (438-01 SD Big Ten Network on my receiver.)

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

What possible advantage could there be to this "collapsible guide format"? 3 and 4 digit channel numbers are bad enough.

#8 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

What possible advantage could there be to this "collapsible guide format"? 3 and 4 digit channel numbers are bad enough.

For example, it allows access to Sirrius Music channels in the most used part of the guide without taking up a huge amount of room. Using favorites you can have the "expansion" show just the music channels that you want. Click on 99, it expands, click on 99 again, it collapses. It one heck of a lot more user friendly than going to the 4 digit channels. If it offends you, leave 99 out of your favorites list and do it the old way. If you have more than 100 channels, how can you have fewer that 3 digits? Dish uses mapping to make sure that you don't have to use 4 digits and the "collapsible guide format" improves on that. :D

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

If it offends you, leave 99 out of your favorites list and do it the old way.

There is no such option. If you leave "99" out of your favorites list the 6000 channels do not magically reappear. If a channel is mapped to a "collapsible channel" on the Hopper/Joey it disappears from the normal position.

Picking 6001 vs 9901 is a wash if one knows the channel numbers. Picking 41219 vs 429 is a bigger change.

If you have more than 100 channels, how can you have fewer that 3 digits? Dish uses mapping to make sure that you don't have to use 4 digits and the "collapsible guide format" improves on that. :D

There are still four digit channels in the guide. Some PIs and public test/temporary channels are there.

(DISH had the PI channels assigned as collapsible channels before the release of the Hopper/Joey but the mappings were removed.)

spam firewall